South Beach Diet Fat Chicks on the Beach!

Old 12-15-2012, 12:27 PM   #1  

Height: 5'4"

Default Smoothies Information

Good morning, I have seen mentions of smoothies by many SB chickies here. I am interested in knowing how often you indulge, what kind of ingredients you use , how it affects your losses and any other physical benefits you have experienced. I recently purchased a nutribullet extractor with the hopes that this will be an aid to my weight loss. I would appreciate any and all feed back from those of you who have used this as a tool. Thanks in advance for your help. Linda
michigangirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2012, 05:36 AM   #2  
GlenwoodHotSprings

S/C/G: 275/179/179

Height: 5'5"

Hi Linda

I'm an everyday smoothie girl. I gifted myself a Vitamix several years ago and make a pretty powerful drink every morning, which I enjoy as I've never been a "breakfast" person. My DH has jumped on the bandwagon, too, so he regularly helps with preparation.

Of course, we all seem to "react" very individually on SBD, but my experience with my morning smoothie is fantastic energy and lack of mid morning hunger. I don't think our mixes would always rank "high" as taste, but nutritionally, they are fantastic.

My standard veggies are carrot, cucumber and beet.

I always add apple and fresh ginger root.

I add two powders; one a non/soy protein power and the other a "greens" powder.

When berries are fresh and affordable I love to add them fresh yet this time of year I will buy organic frozen blueberries and cherries at costco to add. Sometimes I add banana.

Sometimes I add flax or chia seeds.

I can't really say that having a morning smoothie is helping my weightloss. What would help my weighloss would be to stop post dinner snacking. What I can say is I've never felt better and in the spring when we visited my DH's cousin who is a MD, she commented that we were "radiant" and that I looked healthier than I did when she first met me 20 years ago. That was a true compliment since I was at normal weight then.

Best wishes!
Lexxiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2012, 08:16 AM   #3  

S/C/G: 144/131/128

Height: 5' 4"

I have smoothies a lot, although I don't have a juicer. Mine is a blob of plain low or non fat yogurt (I have found the low fat one holds me longer), 1/2 c. frozen blueberries per serving, 1/2 banana per, and then a handful of greens (spinach or kale). I often add cinnamon, and a 1/2 packet stevia per serving as well. Sometimes a dash of vanilla.

Mmmmm.....
TwynnB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2012, 08:52 AM   #4  

S/C/G: 162/145/145

Height: 5' 9 3/4

I am a smoothie fan too! My staples are unsweetened almond milk (it lasts longer in the fridge), non fat plain Greek yogurt, protein powder (vanilla flavored), psyillium fiber, ice and unsweetened cocoa powder. Sometimes I add SF natural peanut butter or strawberries. Until SB I was a cereal eater. I am not hungry at all when I have a smoothie. I do not know if this helped me lose weight. The changes I've made in general have helped me lose, maintain and not go over the cliff back to where I started. I look and feel better than I did in my 20's.
jekel383 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2012, 08:58 AM   #5  
Come on Spring!

S/C/G: 232/170/150

Height: 5'0" on a tall day

My smoothie doesn't happen daily but, when it does, it's usually almond milk, yogurt, fruit, ground flax, salba, egg white and sometimes added greens. I sweeten with Splenda if needed. Sometimes I ditch the fruit and veggies in favour of cocoa powder. I just zap it in my 30 year old blender and it works fine.
Ruthxxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 09:26 AM   #6  

Height: 5'4"

Thanks for the input. I am cleaning out the cupboards as I have backslid again and of course regained almost all of the hard earned losses I had achieved on the beach. I need to change things up soon. My DH and I are eating healthy for the most part, but our portions are out of control. I'm feeling terrible, not sleeping well and am very tired of the expanding middle section that is hard to ignore. Time to get real in this matter, so very soon P1 again . I have been lurking here and do appreciate all the support and info . I'm updating my tracker as a sign that I am accountable and ready to get with the program as I know that its the best way to go. Thanks for the smoothie info. Linda
michigangirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 02:39 PM   #7  

S/C/G: about 175/175/140

Height: 5"4'

Hey Linda, just got my nutribullet today and Im pretty excited. Are you still using yours? Any tips or tricks i should know?
Best of luck on the beach! Keep focusing on the future and get it done!! Thanks.
crog899 is offline   Reply With Quote