Food Talk And Fabulous Finds Recipes, Healthy Cooking, and General Food Topics

Old 12-10-2012, 10:15 PM   #1  
Hi, I'm Lauren! :)

S/C/G: SW:209 / CW:184/ GW:~160

Height: 5'4

Default Whole eggs vs. liquid eggs

I've developed a new thing for liquid eggs; I can have so much more for so much less in calories! But I was wondering what you all thought of them. And GO!
mimsyborogoves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 10:37 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 131/sig/110

I've never heard of liquid eggs before
Lemongrab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 10:41 PM   #3  

It's like liquid egg substitute. It's sold in cartons; "Egg Beaters" is a name-brand, at least in the states.
Old 12-10-2012, 10:49 PM   #4  

Do they taste like whole eggs?
Old 12-10-2012, 10:53 PM   #5  
Tai

S/C/G: 272/111/Maintaining

Height: 5'4"

I love them! If you get bored of eating them plain, check out Hungry Girl's egg mug recipes for ideas.
Tai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 11:03 PM   #6  

S/C/G: SW:394/310/180

Height: 5'6"

When I learned that eggbeaters and other liquid eggs were just artificially colored egg whites, I just started throwing away the yokes. Not only is it cheaper, I know the eggs are fresher (even if I buy ordinary grocery store eggs), there's no artificial colorings, and believe it or not, it's actually less wasteful - because even if I throw the yokes away, they're completely biodegradable. The processing of the eggs into liquid eggwhite is more wasteful in the long run.

For the cost of liquid egg white product, you could buy fresh-from-the-chicken organic eggs and throw away the yolks (or give them to the dog or even cook them and throw them out for the birds).

'm also not impressed with the flavor of of the substitutes or egg whites on their own, but I will use one whole egg and three egg whites - it creates a bigger, fluffier, tastier omelette or scrambled eggs. Also I find that the little bit of fat in one yolk keeps me fuller than in an eggwhite only omelette.
kaplods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 11:21 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 354/342/250(for now)

Height: 5'3"

I'm not a fan of the liquid eggs, but then again i don't care much for scrambled eggs. I prefer mine poached or over easy.
CanadianCutie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 11:40 PM   #8  

I like soft boiled eggs with salt and lots of white pepper and toast. Don't really like eggs whites alone. Liquid eggs sound like they would be good for egg sandwich.
Old 12-11-2012, 12:32 AM   #9  
Heading Downtown...

S/C/G: 225/165/165

Height: 5'8"

I've always wanted to like them... But I just don't... I've never been a fan of Eggbeaters... So I've tried various organic, free range, cage free, etc. etc... liquid egg products from various places (Whole Foods, assorted health food stores, etc...) and besides being much more expensive, the flavor was seriously lacking and they just weren't very satisfying or filling for that matter... I'd rather just have one really good fresh egg instead to cut calories... But if cholesterol is a concern than I would just use egg whites from fresh eggs and add a touch of turmeric for color, so you could have an omelette or scrambled eggs that looked like the "real" thing...
TripSwitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 12:38 AM   #10  

Height: 5'8.5"

I love whole eggs and eat them all the time. I see no point in throwing away the yolks... that is where most of the nutrition is. I believe that eggs are good for you and that the idea that they were not was just a very successful promotion by the cereal industry.
Misti in Seattle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 03:31 AM   #11  

Well I made a giant egg scramble the other day that was only 235 calories with the liquid eggs, whole eggs would've made it 415, which seems like a lot to me for breakfast. Maybe I should just use the regular egg whites from the eggs already in my refrigerator, but I've always sucked at removing the yolks lol.
Old 12-11-2012, 03:10 PM   #12  
Leveling Up

S/C/G: 200+/115/115

Height: 5'3"

I'll use egg beaters when I'm lazy or going to pair my breakfast with some fat anyway...or if my mom starts giving me grief about having eggs all the time

Egg beaters doesn't fill me up as much as a whole egg would. One whole egg with some veggies is about 100 calories, and can keep me full for a while. Of course I now eat two eggs and some greek yogurt, but that's because I need the protein
sontaikle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 03:40 PM   #13  
Fear does not = fate

S/C/G: 295/140/nogoal :)

Height: 5'2"

I use egg beaters for the same reason as sontaikle. Sometimes, it's just easier.

but nothing beats a soft water basted egg over a bed of greens.
owlsteazombies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 08:10 AM   #14  
Always FatGirlVSFitGirl

S/C/G: 206/180/155

Height: 5'3 1/2"

is soft water basted like poached? I love a poached egg, but never make them at home, I've looked at a gazillion recipes and ways to poach, but for some reason never do it.

I love a scrambled egg, I don't see using the egg-beater type for other than that, but this thread go me thinking about those plastic things they advertise on tv that you crack your egg into and then cook in the microwave to make like a hard boiled egg that you don't have to peel, I wonder if you could do that with the egg-beater and then chop it up for egg salad or on top of a salad.

Kaplods, I didn't know that about the artificial colored egg whites, I like your idea about feeding to the dog or birds.we have chickens and do occasionally scramble an egg or two for them, sounds weird but they love it, they eat the shells sometimes too!
kelijpa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 09:17 AM   #15  

S/C/G: 204/114/120

Height: 5'

I've never tried Egg Beaters. I like a poached egg once in awhile.. They are not hard to make , someone seemed concerned about that.I also will scramble them in my Microwave with a little salsa on the side, very low calorie breakfast, in fact I think I will do that today. 2 extra large eggs would be 160 calories., salsa is about 10 calories a serving.
bargoo is offline   Reply With Quote