Old 12-07-2012, 01:25 PM   #1  

S/C/G: Goal 145

Height: 5'4"

Default Help! Need advice from other IPer's...long.

This is going into my fourth week on the IP protocol. The first week I lost a little over 3 lb, second week I lost almost 3, third week, just shy of a pound, and this last weigh in was about a .5 lb. this is the first time in about ten years I have lost anything, so I was excited and was staying motivated.

Getting into the protocol, and ketosis, is not super easy, in part because going into the protocol I was on no medication and now I had to come up with creative ways to take all the supplements. Then in between weeks 2 and 3 I started having major intestinal issues. I was not eating enough veggies and was overdoing it on the lettuce and my belly didn't like it. It was 3 days of no bathroom visits followed by 4 days of full on bathroom visits.

This week I met with my couch and went over how to handle it and was re-energized to stay faithful to the Phase 1 protocol sheet, eat all my veggies, drink all my water and take all my supplements, minus the cal/mag because it seems to be having negative effects on me.

I had two good days followed by another bad experience in the bathroom. I sent my journal, which I keep online versus pen and pencil to the coaches. The coach I do not normally see called me back and I have to say, I am less than pleased with the way she spoke to me.

I made an error at had two slices of bacon when out to breakfast. There are a handful of other IPers at my work who said they thought it was ok. Maybe it was peer pressure but I ate two slices of bacon. I was honest and wrote it down instead of being sneaky and leaving it off.

Here is the thing. I am grown woman, I am dedicated to making the plan work and am spending considerable amount of money at their clinic and the grocery store to do so. I do not expect to be chastised and yelled at. In addition, the coach said the weight loss I have had is inconsequential and I should have lost a considerable amount more in the last 3/4 weeks. Considering prior to this I have lost NOTHING, I was pretty happy.

Now I feel deflated and have no interest in returning to their clinic. I want to go where I am wanted. I know many people have used the protocol with other protein foods like Pure Protein, Proti-thin, Proti-Diet, etc and I am thinking that is the better way to go and combine that with a nutritionist visit, covered by insurance or a weight watchers meeting.

I'd love to hear from anyone who had a rough start or any advice. I am feeling exceptionally deflated. When I came into work, I got on the scale and saw that since Wednesday I have lost two pounds and each week our scale has corresponded with the IP clinic scale. This seems pretty good considering I ate bacon.

Deflated,
D.
DawnK31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 01:40 PM   #2  
Porthardygurl

S/C/G: 315/see ticker/180

Height: 6ft

welll.... i can not speak from experience with a coach as i have never had one before.. However, i do empathize with your experience. It is never fun being yelled at or chastised. However, i suppose that theyre are a lot of people who need that tough love to help them stay focussed. The coach recognizes the cost of the program and recognizes that a lot of people stray and most need a swift kick in the pants to keep on track because often people have had a loss of motivation, confidence and discipline to stick to something.. With that being said..you are a grown women, and you may not be that person who takes kindly to a "tough love" coach.

As far as your "cheat" with bacon..There are some people on here who are religious about staying on plan 100% and a cheat is not acceptable and in-excusable. However, everyone is different. Not everyone can follow this. It may work for some but not for others. We are all different. For me...im on alternatives.. Im one of the people who use other protein drinks in place of packets for the sake of $$$. I learned early on..that sometimes i need to have a "guilt free no cheat cheat" In other words..i am guilty of eating a jello mousse cup every night. It has 3 net carbs, 40 calories ...its not a replacement for my packet..its a treat that keeps me sane and able to continue on this diet. It wont take me out of ketosis and i wont gain weight..and there is no sugar in it..so im not "addicted to the sweetness" I just happen to love chocolate and i cant stand the pudding packets..so its my go-to treat... and yes even on occasion, im guilty of eating 1 piece of bacon..

With that being said...I have to plan what i eat because i need to make sure that my go-to cheat treat is not going to screw up my body in ketosis.. i need to make sure its not so high in calories. Everything has to work together..And no i do not reccomend this way of life for everyone..its an individual choice..

Dont get down about what happend..just keep moving forward with your journey and what you dont like..or whats not working..find a solution and then keep going.
Porthardygurl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 01:59 PM   #3  
Started IP 12/6/12

S/C/G: 174/137/134

Height: 5'8"

Okay, so I'm new here but I'll give you my 2 cents ....

Unfortunately, not everyone is made out to be a "coach" in any walk of life. You may have run into one of those or maybe you just caught them on a bad day. You say that she is not your regular coach, so that is a good thing. I'd let your regular coach know about the situation and that it was so hurtful to your motivation level that you considered quitting. That is the last thing they want.

In any event, don't let the encounter bring you down. You're doing great (I'll be thrilled to lose as much in my first few weeks!), and you shouldn't let her discourage you.

I think some of what you're experiencing with the intestinal issues is pretty normal and should calm down with time, although you may need to make adjustments as you have been for your own body. It's a tough regimen and the initial adjustments can be difficult. (I'm going through the 'headache period' that some experience right now, myself.)
bubbleblower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 02:19 PM   #4  

S/C/G: Goal 145

Height: 5'4"

Thank you both for the reply. I am not into the "tough" love approach and it was certainly discouraging. Before joining IP, I went back and forth with doing an alternatives version but thought I needed to coaching. Now I am not so sure.

I am going to start another thread with an alternatives question because I believe it will be as affected with a different coaching plan.

Thanks again,
D.
DawnK31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 02:41 PM   #5  
Starting over: 7/29/2015

S/C/G: 257/251/150

Height: 5'3"

D.,
It sounds like you are off to a great start with the weight loss, so I hope you find some answer on the "alternative" thread. I agree with you, that "tough love" approach wouldn't work with me, either. I'm on either week 8 or 9 (I've lost count), and I've had one week when I didn't lose anything. My coach gave me some suggestions, but her whole attitude was, "You should be doing better, you've really messed up this week", etc., etc. Made me feel about 2 inches high and REALLY ticked me off! I had the same thoughts you did--I'm a grown woman, I make my own choices and will take responsibility for them, so back off!
Good luck on you continued journey--it's not easy, but SO worth it!
tam67green is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 02:53 PM   #6  

Dawn

I suggest calling the clinic back and asking to talk with your original coach or the business owner

We are paying for a service and we are the customers. When we are new with something, there is bound to be a learning curve while we figure it all out (the dos and dont's). We are paying for that service. Nobody should be speaking to us in a less-than-respectful tone of voice at a place of business. It is totally unacceptable.

How are we supposed to learn if we are chastised? I gotta tell you, I would have had some not-so-nice words for that person (if I'd have gotten over the shock in time). We are not misbehaving children when we are asking for help and support.

I would be VERY clear that I want my initial investment refunded (not cost of food but the other expenses they charge) and I would be taking my business elsewhere, where they know how to treat people in a respectful manner. They may make a counter-offer to you that you may find acceptable (or not). That will be up to you. No service you are paying for should make you feel bullied.

This is not the first report of "coaches" acting like this but I hope it is the last.

Last edited by lisa32989; 12-07-2012 at 05:22 PM.
lisa32989 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 02:55 PM   #7  

Quote:
Originally Posted by tam67green View Post
D.,
It sounds like you are off to a great start with the weight loss, so I hope you find some answer on the "alternative" thread. I agree with you, that "tough love" approach wouldn't work with me, either. I'm on either week 8 or 9 (I've lost count), and I've had one week when I didn't lose anything. My coach gave me some suggestions, but her whole attitude was, "You should be doing better, you've really messed up this week", etc., etc. Made me feel about 2 inches high and REALLY ticked me off! I had the same thoughts you did--I'm a grown woman, I make my own choices and will take responsibility for them, so back off!
Good luck on you continued journey--it's not easy, but SO worth it!
Did you ask, Better than what?
Losing weight, feeling great, what could be better? FYI: IP has removed the 3-5 lbs per week avg claim from printed material. If your clinic still has it, ask them why they aren't staying current!
Old 12-07-2012, 05:15 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 265/233.7/220

Height: 5"11

For your bathroom issue, you should try Organic Senna Tea.
az365 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 05:19 PM   #9  
Started IP 12/6/12

S/C/G: 174/137/134

Height: 5'8"

Quote:
Originally Posted by lisa32989 View Post
Dawn

I suggest calling the clinic back and asking to talk with your original coach or the business owner

We are paying for a service and we are the customers. When we are new with something, there is bound to be a learning curve while we figure it all out (the dos and dont's). We are paying for that service. Nobody should be speaking to us in a less-than-respectful tone of voice at a place of business. It is totally unacceptable.
I agree completely. The attitude was completely uncalled for.
bubbleblower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 09:29 PM   #10  

Quote:
Originally Posted by lisa32989 View Post
Did you ask, Better than what?
Losing weight, feeling great, what could be better? FYI: IP has removed the 3-5 lbs per week avg claim from printed material. If your clinic still has it, ask them why they aren't staying current!
Where can we see the current IP material? I don't think my coach stays current at all, and would love to see the latest information. (She didn't know that there were crispy treats or the strawberry-banana drink!)

Thanks!
SassyGirl424 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 04:28 AM   #11  
Holding on TIGHT

S/C/G: 225/195.4/166.2/135

Height: 5'1

One visit I had to the clinic I started out was amazing! I had walked in for my appointment, on time, but a lady had gotten there just before me and told the lady at the desk that she was late..well, this lady, who was also a "coach" yelled at her said that she was late and she lost her place. I felt so sorry for her. I did not like the fact that she was treated like that...and it was uncalled for at the clinic. Hey, WE are PAYING LOTS OF MONEY for the IP proticol, no one should be made to feel less than dealing with their coach. I was always kind of afraid to be late after that, it really didn't sit well with me, or dh who was there...I stopped going soon after for $$ purposes but I have all of the help I need through this site and some other IP'ers I know. If you decide to go at it on your own, you CAN be successful, you just have to find the right products to eat and visit the boards and ask lots of questions! Best of luck to you!!!
fourstubbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 06:32 AM   #12  

Quote:
Originally Posted by SassyGirl424 View Post
Where can we see the current IP material? I don't think my coach stays current at all, and would love to see the latest information. (She didn't know that there were crispy treats or the strawberry-banana drink!)

Thanks!
I guess at a clinic that stays current? Mine replaced all her brochures. When I was in there Thurs, she had taken all the signs down. New ones were waiting to go up. I'll take a pic when they are in place.
Old 12-08-2012, 06:40 AM   #13  

My experience as an overweight person is that we are used to being treated as "less than" due to our weight. I would most definitely call and let the business owner know that you want your fees refunded and that you will be going elsewhere because of their belittling behavior. In fact give me the number....no, don't. I'm days away from surgery with enough anger, anxiety or whatever it is that I'm feeling that you could be banned fro all clinics!
Seriously though, in my life everyone has known how I should lose weight and given me the message that it is never enough and I'm sure that Im not alone. If my coach pulled that there would be he** to pay.
maezy1 is offline   Reply With Quote