Pregnant - Nursing Diet support for the pregnant or nursing chick!

Old 12-05-2012, 01:43 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 163/128/125

Height: 5'5

Default This might be a dumb idea but thoughts? Nursing & calories

Okay, I know you're supposed to wait 6-8 weeks before dieting in order to establish your supply/not risk it.

My son is almost 5 weeks. I have severe OVER-supply, which basically means I make way too much milk (to the point it makes it very hard to feed him).

If I eat a reduced calorie diet (ie. 1500-1800 calories max, or even less), would I be able to kill 2 birds with one stone? Get started on my weight loss earlier and perhaps reduce my supply???
sacha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 01:54 PM   #2  
I'm bringing sexy back!

S/C/G: 242/234.5/167

Height: 5'5"

I think it's best to speak with either a dietician or a lactation consultant.
I honestly have no idea how many calories you need as a nursing mom.

Oh there is a sub forum for pregnant and nursing moms here, try looking around there.

Congrats on the new baby!
Mozzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 03:31 PM   #3  
Krissy Missy

S/C/G: 181/see ticker/120

Height: 5'2"

Have you tried pumping your extra milk and storing it in the freezer? It's nice to have a stash.

I'm currently nursing my 5 month old (no formula supplements) and I eat 1800 calories daily. I've been losing between 1-2 pounds a week without working out at all.

I personally did not begin weight loss efforts until my son was about 3 months old and I had built up a good milk supply. I had WAY more milk in the beginning when compared to now, but I still have enough to feed my son.

As Mozzy suggested, it would probably be best to ask your doc or lactation consultant. I find that lactation consultants have VAST amounts of information and I've found them to be extremely helpful.

Hope that helps! Good luck.
Missy Krissy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 06:08 PM   #4  
Back with a story

S/C/G: 281 / 254 / 160

Height: 5'3" - I got taller!

Sorry Sacha, I struggle with the exact opposite problem. But if your body is producing that much it's likely that cutting calories down will probably do very little to dent it! Just focus on feeding one breast per feeding and do not do extra pumping, you don't want to stimulate more production. Within a week or two I'd expect your body to adjust your output. Frequent nursing on both sides encourages supply, single side nursing at spaced intervals discourages it somewhat. That's my best recommendation.
Arctic Mama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 06:54 AM   #5  

Thanks girls!! Unforutnatley my access to lactation consultants/dieticians is quite restricted here due to a language barrier but I've tried everything the 3 LC's have told me, but last night was a SUCESS, it turns out if I feed him sitting straight up (with him sitting straight up on my lap) he can handle the flow a bit better... it's def. not reflux but just the traditional positions do not work for us (and side-lie will cause a massive gas attack).

Good.... I love food I was just getting desperate, after having a reflux/colic 1st baby I really didn't want to deal with similar issues AGAIN!
Old 12-06-2012, 06:56 AM   #6  

We'll file it under dumb idea... hah!