Food Talk And Fabulous Finds Recipes, Healthy Cooking, and General Food Topics

Old 12-05-2012, 04:16 PM   #1  
California licensed CPA!

S/C/G: 172/ticker/145

Height: 5'8

Smile Tofu is my new friend!

Anybody else like to eat Tofu? I recently started buying it because I get so burnt out trying to figure out what to bring for lunch to work each day...i have a coworker who microwaves it so I figured I should try it, since I do like it in Asian dishes and stuff.

I love it! I cut it in to cubes and in a bowl with a wet paper towel over it I nuke it for 90 seconds, then add green salsa and maybe half an ounce of shredded mexican cheese and nuke for 30 more seconds. FANTASTIC! I buy the super firm one from Trader Joe's that is also high protein. I've also cut it in to slabs at home, dipped them in eggs, and fried in the skillet (using non-stick Pam) with cinnamon sprinkled on. Then drizzled Karo syrup over it and it was like french toast without the bread! I have a recipe for Tofu fingers I am going to try next...you cut in to 'fingers' and bread, then bake. I'm by all means a carnivore, but man do I enjoy me some tofu!!!
Syckgirlsfv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 03:45 PM   #2  
Just Me

S/C/G: 364/--/182

Height: 5'6"

I love tofu even if I don't eat it often. One of my favorite forms is sliced up, marinated and baked.
nelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 04:40 PM   #3  
it's always something

I love it, too! However, until recently I found that I had to force myself to eat it and I had to be creative to mask the flavor. Then I discovered a different brand of Tofu that I actually loved. Wildwood Natural Organic foods. It doesn't have that 'tofu' flavor unless it hits the expiration date, which makes me wonder just how fresh other popular brands are, such as Nasoya, that always have that odd flavor.

I recently tried this recipe for Sweet Gingery Tofu and loved it! I didn't have Mirin, so I left that out. I let it marinate overnight.

http://weelicious.com/2009/02/18/sweet-gingery-tofu/
Suzanne 3FC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 05:27 PM   #4  
California licensed CPA!

S/C/G: 172/ticker/145

Height: 5'8

I get the Wildwood too...my hubby went shopping and I asked him for firm or extra firm tofu, and he totally surprised me with the Wildwood sprouted high protien super firm! I was shocked...he does pay attention!
Syckgirlsfv is offline   Reply With Quote