General chatter Because life isn't just about dieting. Play games, jokes, or share what's new in your life!

Old 12-01-2012, 01:07 PM   #1  
Shrinking Angela

S/C/G: 210/ticker/140

Height: 5'3"

Default What are you reading December 2012?

This month, I'm reading The Stand by Stephen King. It's a long one!
themusicalfruit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 01:32 PM   #2  
Come on Spring!

S/C/G: 232/170/150

Height: 5'0" on a tall day

Our Book Club selection is Little Bee by Chris Cleave. I also just got a 650 page monster - Wolf Hall by Hilary Mantel. It won the 2009 Man Booker Prize so is supposed to be good. I've not started either of them yet. I know my kids are giving me gift cards so will be looking around for good books to load onto my Kobo - Kobo is a Canadian Kindle.
Ruthxxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 01:40 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 204/114/120

Height: 5'

Ruth my book club read Little Bee, good book but intense.
We are reading When I Whistle by Shusaku End translated from Japanese good book but not one that you just can't put doen.
bargoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 01:51 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 354/342/250(for now)

I am reading The Madman's Tale by John Katzenbach. I guess I'm in a dark kinda mood as far as my reading, as I went from Dexter is Delicious to this.
CanadianCutie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 03:46 PM   #5  
Becoming A Better Me

im reading Body Clutter by Marla Cilley n Leanne Ely. Very inspiring
dangerouscurvesahead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 04:30 PM   #6  

I am reading the Wool Omnibus, by Hugh Howey. I am unsure at the moment of how I willl like it but the initial story captured my imagination and, if it unfolds as it seems to promise, I think I will commit to it more.
Sinoia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 06:06 PM   #7  
Lifestyle Changes

S/C/G: 295/sig/175

Height: 5'9

Lawless(Or "The Wettest County in the World") and Eat, Pray, Love. Also, Brain over Binge.

I just finished re-reading the Hobbit, right in time for the upcoming movie! ^.^

Lawless was such a fantastic film and I hadn't heard about the book until the movie, and the book is great so far. 3 days of reading and I'm halfway done because I don't want to put it down! But I love historical fiction, I could read it all day. Eat, Pray, Love is actually really lovely. I had avoided it because of the big uproar. I wasn't too interested, though I watched the movie on tv a time or two and thought it was interesting. I just didn't want a bunch 'accept god and spiritualism into your life and you'll be magically happy!'. It's turning out to not be like that at all. Another person's spiritual journey, when told with wit and jokes, is actually pretty fun to follow. It sheds light on things you might not have been thinking about, or allows you to feel more grateful.

Anyways, I am working my way through these for the moment, and I have some books waiting on the sidelines to be read.
thewalrus0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 11:19 AM   #8  

S/C/G: 173/in progress/140ish

Height: 5'8"

The Round House by Louise Erdrich. I really like her writing style so far. I only wish I had more time to read! But, I do have all my Christmas presents wrapped! Now to get a few birthday and Christmas cards purchased, written and sent and I should be done.
alinnell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 11:25 AM   #9  
Fear does not = fate

S/C/G: 295/140/nogoal :)

Height: 5'2"

I'm a total nerd and I'm reading The Vampire Wars from the Warhammer Series and <cough> Tides of War <cough> from the world of warcraft series.
owlsteazombies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 05:54 PM   #10  
the muse of memory

Quote:
Wolf Hall by Hilary Mantel. It won the 2009 Man Booker Prize so is supposed to be good. I've not started either of them yet.
It is a really great book (AT LEAST THE FIRST HALF IS, heh, I need to finish it? I drifted away from it and have not gone back to it, but I did love it while I was reading it but should go back and finishing it since I am sure to get her next book as a Christmas present. Hah.)

I am still reading Baudolino by Umberto Eco. Nearly done so I will have something else to report soon. I picked up a book at a shop called Balzac's Omelette - about Balzac's use of (and love for!) food as a culture/character expression. Either that or Swamplandia is next!
mnemosyne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 06:19 PM   #11  

S/C/G: 329/254.6/180?

Height: 5'4"

Quote:
Originally Posted by themusicalfruit View Post
This month, I'm reading The Stand by Stephen King. It's a long one!
This is my favorite Stephen King book and I have read it twice.

I just finished books 1 and 2 of The Hunger games series.

Now reading In One Person by John Irving. He is a favorite of mine and I have read all of his books.

Also reading this book http://http://www.amazon.com/Emotion...w+the+triggers
pluckypear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 07:31 PM   #12  

S/C/G: 286/153/155

Height: 5'9

I am reading Flight Behavior by Barbara Kingslover. She came to my town and did a book reading that we went to.
Madame Souza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 09:56 PM   #13  

S/C/G: 354/342/250(for now)

Quote:
Originally Posted by pluckypear View Post
Now reading In One Person by John Irving. He is a favorite of mine and I have read all of his books.
I know I'm in the minority on this, but I'm hit or miss on Irving's novels. I've read 3. Last Night in Twisted River, A Prayer for Owen Meany and The World According to Garp. I read Garp when I was in High School and enjoyed that one. My mother in law (when I was still dating hubby) gave me Twisted River, and I thought it was ok. But I hated Owen Meany. I know a lot of people will be shocked by this, it is probably his "most loved" character, but I had to struggle to finish it.
CanadianCutie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 09:57 PM   #14  
One pound at a time.

S/C/G: 238.2/186.2/150

Height: 5ft 4in

Just started "I'm A Stranger Here Myself" by Bill Bryson.

It's laugh out loud funny.
Clydegirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 03:19 AM   #15  

S/C/G: 257/219/145

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madame Souza View Post
I am reading Flight Behavior by Barbara Kingslover. She came to my town and did a book reading that we went to.
This is what I am reading right now as well. She is one of my favorite authors.
Purplefirefly is offline   Reply With Quote