Old 12-03-2012, 05:49 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 242/ticker/212

Height: 5'6

Lightbulb My 1st Week Went a Little Like This...

So I joined 3FC about 3 weeks ago, hovered for a while and then last week after some AHA moments including a comment from a friend I haven’t seen for a long time, enough was enough. So last Sunday, I went to the grocery store, restocked my fridge, purchased a food journal and unearthed my gym shoes. So in summary:
Food: stayed w/in limits 5/7 days. The 2 days I was not on track were both over the weekend & I ended up going to parties. Despite my determination, I just could not control myself. Actually, that’s wrong. I could, if I had wanted to. I know that. I know that I’m stronger than I give myself credit for but it was easier to turn off my mental calorie counter.
Lesson learned: For now, controlled environments are best. The 1st party I could have easily avoided and I honestly believe if I hadn't gone off on Friday, it would have been easier to stay on track the rest of the weekend. Thank God, there are no parties on the horizon.
Gym: So I worked out 5 times this week. 2 of those time were at home. I did the PX90 Cardio and Just Dance 4. The other times I went to the gym, I stuck to the spin bike & the elliptical. I actually also tried a Step class.
Lesson learned: So I tend to either go to the gym or not work out at all so I’m super proud that I actually did some home workouts. I’m also glad that my workouts were more varied and I had so much fun w/ the Just Dance. This week I really want to incorporate some strength training. I actually have customized schedule from a personal trainer….somewhere… If only I could find it…..
Spiritual: Not so good. For me, this is a huge component of my journey to a better healthier happier me. It’s also a big reason why’ve I felt so lost these past few years.
Lesson learned: It’s a WIP and I have to willing to work on it everyday, not just when I’m in need or it’s easy or with people or convenient.
Mental: I’ve had some really good ‘positive self talk’ chats w/ myself this week. I reminded myself (usually in the middle of a tough workout!) that I was a strong, resourceful, smart woman and that what I was going thru was not only necessary but would pay off. However, I also had some moments where I let my condescending negative inner voice speak up and say some not so nice things. At one point yesterday, I almost convinced myself that this process, this journey was not worth it.
Lesson learned: It’s so easy to berate myself. So so easy to be negative and at times abusive to myself *cringes*. I honestly don’t understand it & I think maybe it’s time I tried to. Meanwhile, I’m going to cont the positive self talk. And I am NOT going to quit.
Weight Loss: I lost 2.5lbs this week and I was bummed yesterday when I saw that. I’ve been yo-yoing bet. 245-249 for the past 7 mo. so it’s hard for me to see any number above 245 as a success. Also as someone who’s a Re-loser, I have this mentality that any ‘old’ weight that I lose doesn't count since I shouldn't have gained it in the 1st place.
Lesson learned: I got over myself. Today I’m excited I’m down 2.5lbs and can’t wait to see what this week brings. I’m an impatient loser and I hate losing slowly. In the past, I've had weeks where I’d calorie restrict or work out like crazy and lose 5lbs a week. Of course, the next week I’d gain it back because I’d binge. I need to get used to the idea of losing slowly but surely and building long lasting habits.

So that’s me! I honestly don’t know if anyone will read this but putting words to this process is really a great tool that’s helped me in the past and I plan to continue to do it as a way to keep myself accountable.
Is anyone else new or starting over? Do you find that the 1st few weeks are the hardest?
Have a lovely week guys & gals!
~Faye

Last edited by foreverfaye; 12-03-2012 at 07:59 PM.
foreverfaye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 06:40 PM   #2  

S/C/G: S/C/G 290/Ticker/150

Height: 5'7

Great job! Don't stress about the "2" bad days. We ALL have bad days from time to time. As long as your good days outweigh your bad you will see progress!

I'm all about the positive self talk! I often beat myself up over small things. I feel like Ive had a lot of success recently b/c Ive kept a positive attitude during bad times. Even if I have a "bad" day, I say "no big deal, tomorrow is a new day." It's small but it keeps me on track.

I understand how you feel about being disappointed about your loss. I had been yo-yoing in the 270s. Even when I saw 271 and 270 I was STILL bummed b/c I had seen them before. Just give it time, I finally hit 269 today. Im sure in a few days or a week you will see that lower number and it will remotivate you!

I also am an impatient loser even though I weigh daily. Ive learned to take joy in "not gaining" haha. Maybe if it stresses you out you should spread out how often you get on the scale?

Good job and good luck!
ASaladandaDream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 08:58 PM   #3  
I'm bringing sexy back!

S/C/G: 242/234.5/167

Height: 5'5"

Wow! What a great dialogue! I'm glad that your looking for lessons learned through each part of your journey. You're doing a great job, keep up the good work!!!
Mozzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 08:59 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 255/holding at 162/160

Height: 5'-7"

Welcome. I started out in Jan 2011 just about where you are. What you're doing works. It really does. And it can work pretty quickly for many people. I was also impatient. When I started to lose in mid-January, I made up my mind I was going to lose about 100 pounds in a year at most - I was not going to buy new winter clothes twice. I was determined to be down to what I wanted in time to buy new coats, sweaters, etc, only one time. The less expensive summer clothes weren't too much of a concern.

I made a chart on Excel that tracked my actual weight loss against a weekly goal of 1% of my body weight. I found it extremely helpful to have just a week long goal. Actually, the goal started out to be 30 pounds in the first 10 weeks and then 1% per week. I thought it was easier to look only 1 week ahead and I'm positive it made it easier to "behave" at a party or wedding or whatever. I'd just tell myself I only had to stay on plan until next Wednesday (weigh-in day) and then I could change my mind if I wanted to.

I also had some mid range goals - 30 pounds by the time I went to visit my daughter in NC, 50 pounds by my nephew's wedding, 75 pounds by my niece's wedding, etc. Those numbers followed along my charted out weekly goals. It worked for me.

Many members here have had success with lots of different methods, but a large number count calories and exercise. Quite a few will also advise against my particular system because sometimes, no matter what you do, the weight doesn't budge for a few weeks. Not meeting a "time deadline" type goal can lead to frustration. You have to know what works for you to keep you motivated. The best advice, I think, is to just stay on plan with food and activity as much as possible and you'll see results.

Here are a few pointers I picked up along the way from the wise members on this board:

1) take pictures often
2) measure often
3) journal your food and exercise
4) just keep at it
5) we all mess up - just start over IMMEDIATELY - not tomorrow or even the next meal - RIGHT NOW
6) Look at the big picture - the downward trend over weeks or even months - not the fact that this week might have shown no loss or even a gain.

Good luck. You can do this.

Lin
linJber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 09:39 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 185/183/145

Height: 5'7"

Hi Faye,

I'm starting over too. I've been losing-gaining-losing-gaining 20-30 pounds over the past 4 years. Over the last year, I've been working on my frame of mind and heavily concentrating on how to lose weight and keep it off.

As impatient as I am, losing weight the fast way didn't work for me; it actually worked against me.

I worked on my anxiety and depression cycle as it pertained to my weight. I got off the negative talking train (which ran 24/7 it seemed) and started thinking with purpose. Such as "I'm not talking positively to sugar coat my weight. I'm talking positively so that I can get healthy, forever results." I think that's why negative self-talk is so easy at times: we think we're being honest with ourselves, when we can be honest AND positive simultaneously. Also, I think verbally punishing ourselves is a way of saying "I know you're eating bad stuff, but as long as you learn from this negative talk, you'll be better next time." And then we hate ourselves and never learn from the behavior. So, I really like that you're putting down Lesson Learned in your posts - possibly your food journal?

The first week of getting back on track has been really tough for me. But, I made it and I'm currently on week 2. I hope to see you on here frequently and to help you on your weight loss journey.

Nice to meet you. You can do this!
coffeeshopgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 10:01 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 299/289/150

Height: 5'8"

Greetings,

Faye, I am just starting on this website and was really impressed with your post and all the wonderful things you are doing for yourself. It was inspirational - thanks for sharing. You are doing a great job, keep going and don't let the numbers psych you out. The body is interesting and sometimes at the beginning of weight loss it holds on to weight and water because it has no idea what journey we are now on! And - 2.5 lbs is amazing, nothing to minimize, that is a great loss.

Lin - I appreciate your kind words and the incentive you offer through the detailing of your journey. Thank you for sharing with Faye, it also helped me.

I'm with coffeeshopgirl, the first week or two back is tough. I am currently doing a two week induction/detox. I am on day 12 which I have never made it to before. I can do this, you can do this, we can do this. Tracking, goal setting and monitoring are the keys to success from what I can read from all those here who have had such great success.

Let's do it, we deserve it!
Salus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 01:17 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 242/ticker/212

Height: 5'6

I’m really glad I ended up posting this! You all are definitely my motivation to get through week 2 & that’s about as far ahead as I’m looking
ASaladandaDream- I’m trying to limit myself and just weigh in once a week. However, I usually do 1-2 peek-a-boo weigh ins during the week. Congrats on getting out of the 270s! Here’s to more good days than bad!!!
Mozzy-Thanks! Congrats on the 20lbs gone
LinJber- on your success & thanks for all the great advice. I love your idea of a tracking system. I’m going to take pictures and measurements today so I can track & celebrate my NSVs as well.
Coffeeshopgirl-Congrats on making it to week 2! I love your comment about honesty and positivity. I feel like I fall into the negativity/honesty trap often and it’s something I’m going to be more mindful of. Can’t wait to check in with you about our respective week 2s!
Salus-Here’s to us newbies! We do deserve this. Hope you have a great week.

Last edited by foreverfaye; 12-04-2012 at 01:24 PM.
foreverfaye is offline   Reply With Quote