Old 12-02-2012, 12:14 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 234/234/150

Height: 5'4"

Default recipe question

So I started today and am trying to plan dinners. Does anyone know if pork loin and sauerkraut is ok? In my thinking it should be, lightly brown the loin in evoo, crock pot with sauerkraut all day. Any advice??
blondie95us is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 12:17 PM   #2  

I'm having pork loin tonight as well! Just make sure to cut off any fat that you can see and try to eat only the light meat pieces. Yes, sauerkraut is fine too.
maezy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 12:21 PM   #3  
Started IP 1/16/2012

Location: Pine Mountain, Georgia & on a little lake in NE Michigan

S/C/G: 291/171.4/175

Height: 5'6"

Quote:
Originally Posted by blondie95us View Post
So I started today and am trying to plan dinners. Does anyone know if pork loin and sauerkraut is ok? In my thinking it should be, lightly brown the loin in evoo, crock pot with sauerkraut all day. Any advice??
Pork loin, definitely (below are some recipes) Sauerkraut, I don't like, so no recipes or knowledge on it. With anything premade, always check for added sugar. Best to make from scratch.

Barbecued Grilled Pork Tenderloin
2 tablespoons of Dijon mustard.
2 tablespoons of WF barbecue sauce.
2 tablespoons of olive oil.
1 teaspoon of dried rosemary.
Salt and freshly ground black pepper.
16 oz pork tenderloin, halved and butterflied.
Directions:
In a shallow non-reactive dish, combine the Dijon mustard, barbecue sauce and olive oil. Season with the dried rosemary, salt and black pepper.

Turn the butterflied pieces of pork tenderloin in the mixture and marinate for 45-50 minutes.
Preheat your grill or broiler and broil for 7 minutes a side only.
Allow the tenderloin rest on a cutting board for 10 minutes before cutting it on the bias into thin slices.

Pork Tenderloin with Cinnamon and Red Pepper
Pork Tenderloin (usually 1-1 1/2 pounds)
2 Tbsp Olive Oil
1/2 tsp Ground Red Pepper or Chili Pepper
1 tsp Ground Cinnamon
Directions
Rub surface of Tenderloin with Olive Oil. Place in a shallow baking dish. Sprinkle with Ground Pepper and Cinnamon. Place in 400 degree oven for 45-60 minutes. (At 60 minutes you will have no pink inside a small roast but it will still be quite succulent.)

Rubbed Pork Tenderloin with Roasted Tomato Sauce (BBQ) (Phases 1-4)
Sauce:
8 ripe, plum tomatoes, stems removed
1 jalapeno, stem removed and seeded
1/2 cup tightly packed fresh basil leaves
1/3 cup roughly chopped French shallots
1/4 cup tightly packed fresh cilantro leaves
1 Tablespoon fresh lime juice
2 teaspoons minced garlic
salt
freshly ground black pepper
Rub:
1 teaspoon paprika
1 teaspoon Splenda or Stevia
1 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon chili powder
1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
1/4 teaspoon ground allspice
1 large or 2 small pork tenderloins, about 1 pound total
extra virgin olive oil
Directions:
Rub: in a small bowl combine the rub ingredients and crush them together with your fingertips. Trim excess fat and silver skin from the tenderloins. Lightly brush or spray the tenderloins with olive oil. Spread the rub all over the tenderloin and press the spices into the surface of the meat. Grill the tenderloins over direct medium heat until the centers are barely pink, 15 t0 20 minutes, turning once halfway through grilling time. Remove it from the grill and cover loosely with foil. Allow to rest for about 5 minutes before slicing. Serve warm with the sauce.

Sauce: grill the tomatoes and jalapeno over direct high heat until black and blistered in spots. The tomatoes will take 4 to 6 minutes and the jalapeno will take 2 to 3 minutes. Put the tomatoes and jalapeno in a food processor along with the other sauce ingredients, including salt and pepper to taste, and process until smooth. Transfer the sauce to a medium saucepan and bring to a boil. Reduce to a simmer and allow to cook until the sauce has thickened slightly, 5 to 10 minutes, stirring occasionally.

The truth is, the rub in this recipe is so good that the meat doesn't even need a sauce, but if tomatoes are in season, whip up this cooked salsa for a colorful flourish. Fire-roast the vegetables over direct high heat, then cook the meat over direct medium heat.

Juicy Chipotle Roasted Pork Tenderloin
1 pork tenderloin (1 - 1 1/2 pounds)
Chipotle Rub by Pampered Chef*** (some other rub options are at the bottom of the page, if you don't have this)
Directions:
1) Preheat oven to 350.
2) Sprinkle rub on outside of Pork Tenderloin until coated
3) Heat olive oil in pan over med-high heat. (preferred is a cast iron pan, or any pan that can go from stovetop to oven).
4) When pan is hot place pork tenderloin in pan, searing on all sides. Searing is important here - it seals the juices into the meat, so don't skip this step! To sear, turn the meat after about 1-2 minutes on the heat. Keep rotating until all sides have been seared.
5) Transfer the pan into the preheated oven (if you don't have a pan that can go from stove to oven, transfer into an oven-suitable pan).
6) bake for 20 minutes.
7) Remove from oven, slice and enjoy.

MARINATED PORK TENDERLOIN
Marinade:
¼ c. plus 1 Tbsp. fresh lemon juice
3 Tbsp. soy sauce
1 Tbsp. olive oil
½ tsp. Stevia (or Splenda)
1 clove garlic, minced
1 tsp. fresh ginger, grated
½ tsp. chopped fresh rosemary
¼ tsp. salt
¼ tsp. freshly ground black pepper
1 pork tenderloin
Directions:
In a medium bowl whisk together the marinade ingredients. Place the tenderloin in a large plastic bag and pour in the marinade. Press the air out of the bag and seal tightly. Turn the bag to distribute the marinade, place in a bowl and refrigerate overnight. Remove tenderloin from the bag and discard the marinade. Preheat oven to 250 degrees and bake in a slow oven for approximately 5-6 hours until a meat thermometer reads 155 – 160 degrees.

Pulled Pork
‎2 tbsp of chili powder,
2 tbsp minced garlic,
1/2 cup of minced onion,
1 tbsp prepared mustard,
1/3 cup apple cider vinegar,
1/3 cup of brown 'sugar' splenda (100% splenda not mixed with splenda and sugar),
1/2 tsp of maple extract,
1/2 tsp liquid smoke,
1 can of crushed tomatoes
Directions:
mix all in a bowl and poured it over the roast, cook on high for 5 hours in the slow cooker

pork tenderloin and I just added some random stuff . . vinegar, soy sauce, sweetener, ketchup, and water. Let it cook all day on low, and had very tender, falling appart meat. I mixed it with some ketchup and WF bbq sauce. Yummy!

CROCK POT PORK CARNITAS
lean pork tenderloin
score the fatty skin to help it render
spice it up....i used 2 tbsp cumin, 1 tbsp thyme, salt and pepper
i use my mortar and pestle to grind up the spices and bring out the flavors!!
heat your skillet with 2 tsp olive oil
rub half your spices on one side of your pork tenderloin toast
place it skin side down into your HOT pan to sear
sear your pork on each side for about 3 mins each
add the other half of your spices and rub in before turning
turn and sear on the other side....
in the meantime, slice one onion in thick slices
line the bottom of your crock pot with the onions
this allows the heat to circulate the roast and adds flavor
you can pitch the onions when the roast is ready
or you can eat them as they are not caramelized
chop some fresh garlic and add to the crock pot
add some jalapenos and about 3 tbsp jalapeno juice
if desired!
add your pork on top of the onion bed skin side up
this allows the fat to drip to the bottom and keeps the pork moist
don't waste the drippings in the skillet where you seared your pork
de-glaze the pan with some chicken broth
this is what i used
pour this over your pork roast and now you are ready to let the crock pot so its job!
you can cook on high for a few hours
or low for a little longer
do not over cook, just cook until it easily pulls apart!
just pull apart easily with 2 forks
shred your pork and let sit until ready to eat and enjoy!!
take a spoonful or two of veggie shreds and place
in a small circle on parchment paper
microwave on high for 45 seconds...then carefully work fast...
easily peel it off the parchment paper and fold into a taco shape
it hardens as it cools and that happens pretty fast!!
so work quickly and do 1 taco at a time
now you are ready to fill and enjoy!!
i used tofutti sour cream mixed with 1 ox milk to make it creamier
red onions, orange bell peppers, tomatoes, jalapenos!!
you can use any toppings you like!!
just fill and eat!!

got leftovers that didn't fit into your taco shells??
no worries....
WingnutandMe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 02:13 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 267/159/150

Height: 5"3

Quote:
Originally Posted by blondie95us View Post
I think it sounds yummy.
NinjaNurse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 02:29 PM   #5  

thx Wingnut!!!! Hubby is roasting ours with fresh garlic and onion powder!
maezy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 03:25 PM   #6  

S/C/G: SW:394/310/180

Height: 5'6"

The only thing to be aware of with sauerkraut, is that if you're a daily weigher, be prepared to see a small gain the day after from the sodium (you may or may not actually see a gain, but if you're prepared for it, you won't stress out over it).

As long as you're on plan, you can be assured that this is only water weight and will disappear in a day or two (faster if you drink a little extra water). This isn't going to affect the rate of your overall weight loss, it's just a bit of water retention that is masking the fat loss that is still occuring.

I love sauerkraut and it's really good for you (especially if you can get the "live culture" sauerkraut (in bags or plastic containers, not cans or jars). Not all bagged sauerkraut is live culture, but no canned or jarred sauerkraut is (because the heat of canning kills the good bacteria along with the bad).

Rinsing the kraut also helps minimize the water retention, but over-rinsing also washes out the flavor. Usually I'll put in about half to a third of the sauerkraut in the crockpot unrinsed, and then thoroughly rinse the rest. There's no reason behind my method except that it results in the flavor I like best.
kaplods is offline   Reply With Quote