Old 11-30-2012, 04:16 PM   #1  

Default Skipping Phase 2 and Jumping to Phase 3? Your thoughts?

Hello. Started IP 10/05 and have lost a total of 23lbs. I am trying to start maintainence on Christmas so I can enjoy a modest holiday dinner and focus on starting maintainence thereafter. My journey since 10/05 has been a bit wacky as I initally planned to begin maintainence on Thanksgiving and jump back in January 1st. However, being only 10lbs away from goal, I decided to keep my momentum going and not just stop while on such a roll. Anyways, I just met with my coach and she insisted on phase 2 again rather than just going to phase 3. She said it was necessary for my body to adjust to increased caloric intake. That being said, when I did phase 2 before, I continued to loose, maybe 2-3lbs and I never gained on Phase 3. If I decided to jump to Phase 3, do you think I would gain the weight that we so commonly hear about happening in phase 3. It didn't before but is that because I did phase 2? Also, has anyone else skipped phase 2 and jumped into phase 3 and not gained? I hear about a lot of people just skipping and would like some advice.
Phase 1 10/05-11/2
Phase 2 11/3-11/11
Phase 3 11/12-11/21
Maintainence-11/21-11-24
Started Phase 1 again 11/25/12
eandc2006 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 05:21 PM   #2  

Height: 5'4"

So right now you are 10 lbs from goal?

I would suggest this:
12/4 to 12/10 Phase 2
12/11 to 12/24 Phase 3

I only did 3 days of Phase 2, but I was selecting higher calorie IP products prior to that.

If you look at the Phase 2 sheet, it says MAXIMUM of 2 weeks, not minimum.
Others have skipped it.

If for some reason your weight is higher after two weeks on Phase 3, you have the tools (Phase 1) and can select wisely and watch your portions in Phase 4 to "fix" it.

Also, assuming it really is water adjustments, your clothes will fit about the same.
infoplease is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 05:22 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 234/231/180

Height: 5' 8"

I heard they are phasing P2 out. When I do a reboot (go into P1 to lose some gained pounds) I go straight to P3 and skip P2. I never do it and don't have any problems.
New Englander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 05:30 PM   #4  

Great. Thanks for the info. I didn't really care for P2 as it was a bit too much meat. I would rather stick with Phase 1 and continue to loose as much as I can before starting Phase 3. Info please, thanks for the timeframe. It was helpful to look at when I need to transition. I have been all over the place today (holidays coming, traveling, Friday, etc.).
Old 11-30-2012, 05:31 PM   #5  

@infoplease, right now I am about 5lbs from goal but really 10lbs since my lowest weight in 7 years.
Old 11-30-2012, 06:14 PM   #6  

I just started Phase 2. My coach recommended it as a natural step to increase calories gradually. She said I don't have to do it the full 2 weeks, but to do it for at least 3 days then go on to phase 3. My plan is 3 days of phase 2 then phase 3.
Hgamroth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 07:30 PM   #7  
started IP 7/17/2012

S/C/G: 200.5/167/150

Went straight to phase 3 on Monday and have had no issues. It's only been 5 days, but I have not gained. And I am happy having my big breakfast! After 4 months of shakes for breakfast, I was ready for that - I've always liked a big breakfast.

I did this over my coach's objections, but it's my body, my choice. I did start a thread on this a while back and folks came down on both sides of the issue.
Lizzy63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 02:58 AM   #8  

Quote:
Originally Posted by eandc2006 View Post
@infoplease, right now I am about 5lbs from goal but really 10lbs since my lowest weight in 7 years.
So, conservatively you would be 4 lbs from goal if you start on 12/4
maybe 3 lbs from goal if you start 12/7. I think I would push phase 1 to 12/7 and see how close you get to goal.

Others have mentioned only doing 3 days of P2 and that P2 is being phased out (second time I've heard that. Personally, doesn't make sense BUT when the protein was upped to 8 oz in P1 they should have modified P2 as this is doubling the amount of protein at lunch, when it should maybe be 4 oz protein at lunch and 8 oz at dinner).

I also hate P2 ; )

So, are you going to let us know on 12/4 what you decide?
infoplease is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 10:27 AM   #9  
started IP 7/17/2012

Update - weighed myself this morning (6th day on phase 3, with no phase 2) and I am down 1.6 pounds since I started phase 3! Hope this info helps!
Old 12-01-2012, 10:33 AM   #10  
Started IP 3/26/12

Height: 5'5"

Quote:
Originally Posted by eandc2006 View Post
Hello. Started IP 10/05 and have lost a total of 23lbs. I am trying to start maintainence on Christmas so I can enjoy a modest holiday dinner and focus on starting maintainence thereafter. My journey since 10/05 has been a bit wacky as I initally planned to begin maintainence on Thanksgiving and jump back in January 1st. However, being only 10lbs away from goal, I decided to keep my momentum going and not just stop while on such a roll. Anyways, I just met with my coach and she insisted on phase 2 again rather than just going to phase 3. She said it was necessary for my body to adjust to increased caloric intake. That being said, when I did phase 2 before, I continued to loose, maybe 2-3lbs and I never gained on Phase 3. If I decided to jump to Phase 3, do you think I would gain the weight that we so commonly hear about happening in phase 3. It didn't before but is that because I did phase 2? Also, has anyone else skipped phase 2 and jumped into phase 3 and not gained? I hear about a lot of people just skipping and would like some advice.
Phase 1 10/05-11/2
Phase 2 11/3-11/11
Phase 3 11/12-11/21
Maintainence-11/21-11-24
Started Phase 1 again 11/25/12
I'm also in a situation where I'm hoping to phase out by late December. Currently I'm 7 lbs from my goal weight. I've been on IP using alternatives, since late March. My weight losses throughout (except for first 3 weeks or so) have always been low (almost 62 and menopausal, plus a history of a lot of failed diets in my past which I'm sure have messed up my metabolism), and in the last couple of months I've practically stalled. I recently went on P3 in an effort to shake up my system and hopefully get the weight loss ball going again, and have been back 100% on P1 since Thursday. I'm planning to stay 100% P1 until about Dec 12th in the hopes of shedding a few more pounds. At that point I may go to P3 for two weeks, especially if my weight losses continue to be really small or stalling. That way I'll enjoy my first 'Fun Meal' at our late December extended family Christmas gathering. I've already decided that I'm just going to skip P2. I trust Wuv, and in my mind she's the 'Ideal Protein Coach' that I'd definitely rely on.... she's indicated elsewhere here that P2 is being phased out. I believe it's no longer used at her clinic. Because of this and other comments I've read from others who have heard that their clinics are phasing out P2, I feel quite comfortable in skipping it. But I do feel that two weeks of P3 is essential to getting a good foothold on a successful maintenance.

Good luck to you!

Lizzy63 - that's good to hear. Give me hope that I can continue to lose on P3 if I end up switching over before I hit my goal weight.

Last edited by evepet; 12-01-2012 at 10:35 AM.
evepet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 10:34 AM   #11  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lizzy63 View Post
Update - weighed myself this morning (6th day on phase 3, with no phase 2) and I am down 1.6 pounds since I started phase 3! Hope this info helps!
What is your favorite phase 3 breakfast? I am planning for next week. Are you exercising? I am starting my couch to 5k program today and trying to ease into it.
Old 12-01-2012, 10:48 AM   #12  
started IP 7/17/2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hgamroth View Post
What is your favorite phase 3 breakfast? I am planning for next week. Are you exercising? I am starting my couch to 5k program today and trying to ease into it.
I love them all - I've always loved breakfast!

Bacon (2 slices) and 1 egg sandwich on a whole wheat English muffin with greek yogurt mixed with raspberries - yum! Or, whole wheat English muffin with Smucker's natural PB and yogurt with berries. Pancake made with oatmeal, egg white, a bit of Splenda, and vanilla; topped with berries, and WF syrup, and some turkey sausage.

I use myfitnesspal, so I usually enter my breakfast info the evening before so I know that I will hit all of the right numbers - that's important.

I've been doing light exercise all along - lots of dog walking - have a big dog that loves to walk! Thinking about starting some strength building with a coach.

Be sure to check out the phase 3 breakfast ideas thread. LizRR has some great ideas.

Also, keep some easy protein sources handy - Fage greek yogurt, precooked turkey sausage patties, egg whites in the carton - to make sure you get at least 25 grams.
Old 12-01-2012, 01:03 PM   #13  

Congrats on the continued weight loss in phase 3. That's amazing. I think I lost 1-2lbs on p3 too. I may just go ahead and push phase 1 until 12/9 and then start phase 3 12/10 so I can have 14 days before Xmas dinner. I weighed yesterday and I am down to 149 and goal is 145 so hopefully in the next week I can get as close as possible and maybe loose another 3-5lbs. So exciting to get closer!
I lied the phase 3 bfasts. I always had a half an English muffin with pb, 1/2 cup Greek yogurt, banana, hard boiled egg, and some muesli in top of the yogurt. It was delish! I did notice that I was hungrier in phase 3. I think our bodies are just used to ketosis. Cheers to all our hard work!
Old 12-01-2012, 01:10 PM   #14  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lizzy63 View Post
I love them all - I've always loved breakfast!

Bacon (2 slices) and 1 egg sandwich on a whole wheat English muffin with greek yogurt mixed with raspberries - yum! Or, whole wheat English muffin with Smucker's natural PB and yogurt with berries. Pancake made with oatmeal, egg white, a bit of Splenda, and vanilla; topped with berries, and WF syrup, and some turkey sausage.

I use myfitnesspal, so I usually enter my breakfast info the evening before so I know that I will hit all of the right numbers - that's important.

I've been doing light exercise all along - lots of dog walking - have a big dog that loves to walk! Thinking about starting some strength building with a coach.

Be sure to check out the phase 3 breakfast ideas thread. LizRR has some great ideas.

Also, keep some easy protein sources handy - Fage greek yogurt, precooked turkey sausage patties, egg whites in the carton - to make sure you get at least 25 grams.
Another question...What is the total amount of carbs at breakfast? Fruit says more than 20 and grains no more than 30. So I want to double check the total carb allowance? I may be over thinking it but i am NOT a science person and I am worried I will goof. Can you have a fruit that is 15 carbs and grains around 30? Sorry for silly questions but I really appreciate any answers. And I AM reading all phase 3 threads (over and over.) Thanks!!!
Old 12-01-2012, 01:31 PM   #15  
8/23/12 - 1/6/13

S/C/G: 170/140/135

Height: 5' 5"

Seems I busted my last-few-pounds stall by keeping my carbs to under 30 and my fats to under 40. I'm hoping to get these last few pounds off before Christmas since I've got a house full coming to visit...maybe go to Phase 3 the last 2 weeks of December and back to Phase 1 in January to finish up. I'll probably wait on the exercise too but just because I'm so busy right now.
Fishette is offline   Reply With Quote