Old 11-29-2012, 10:50 PM   #1  
Restart Apr 8 2013

S/C/G: 218.6/207.6/141

Height: 5'6.5"

Default What kind of gum

do you chew on IP, if your coach allows?

After reading some uses talk about chewing gum, I really think chewing gum would be useful and looked at a lot of labels, but just got more confused... sorbitol, xylitol, etc...

Are you chewing gum? If so, please tell me, what is working for you?

Thanks!!!
libertybelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 10:59 PM   #2  

Height: 5'8

I haven't touched a piece of gum since I started in September. I had to get it out of my head that i needed to be chewing something. This diet is something I need to maintain for life. Wanting to chew means I'm hungry and need to eat, or I'm bored and need to find something better to do.

That's just me

Before, i used

Last edited by southern; 11-29-2012 at 11:00 PM.
southern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 11:40 PM   #3  

my coach allows me to have fire by dentyne
Dinie89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 12:22 AM   #4  

S/C/G: 194/Ticker/135

Height: 5'3

My coach allowed orbitz. You are supposed to check the sugar alcohol in the gum is what I was told. Although, I try not to chew it very often.
Dancer456 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 12:28 AM   #5  

S/C/G: 304/219.6/200

Height: 6'

In my clinic, they sell gum with xylitol in it called Spry. They also make mints. I ave also found Pur gum that as the same sweetener.
ddd849 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 01:46 AM   #6  
IP- a journey; not a race

S/C/G: 245/188/168

Height: 5'4" 41yo

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddd849 View Post
In my clinic, they sell gum with xylitol in it called Spry. They also make mints. I ave also found Pur gum that as the same sweetener.

I can't comment specifically on the xylitol regarding IP, but I use the Spry mints daily (my fav is Berryblast - tastes like stawberry quik milk) and it hasn't impacted my weight loss or caused any cravings. I like to have them in my pocket in case I want to quickly freshen my breath. I have to be careful with them because they are yummy and I can easily find myself "chewing" the mints and they're gone in seconds. If I do this too often, they are more like candy. So, I try to consciously focus on NOT chewing them and only sucking them until they are entirely gone.

I'm in the dental field and this is an AWESOME product. Xylitol is a natural non-sugar sweetener. It has about 1/2 the calories as regular table sugar (sucrose). I know our bodies actually produce some daily, it comes from birch trees and it has a positive effect in the mouth. Where most sugars have a 6 carbon structure, xylitol has a 5 carbon structure. This chemical structure difference makes it so that the bacteria in our mouth have a difficult time attaching/clinging to our teeth. The xylitol leaves a microscopic slippery layer on our teeth (we can't feel this!). If you are going to use xylitol and want to get the dental benefits, it is recommended that you chew the gum or suck on the mints for a minimum of 5 minutes straight at least three times a day. This is esp. recommended after a meal or snack that contained carbohydrates, to disrupt the activity of the bacteria in our mouth. Spry is one of the BEST brands because it's 100% xylitol. Locally, we can find it at a store called Super Supplements. At the grocery stores, you can find gum and mints that have xylitol, but the amount won't be 100%. If you are looking for xylitol prodcuts, try to find the word xylitol listed as the first (or as close to it) ingredient on the list of ingredients on the gum or mints. The closer to 100%, the better for your teeth.
Hope I didn't bore you too much, but this was fun since it's a topic I actually know something about. Jen
JenRem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 03:42 AM   #7  
Restart: 1/5/15

S/C/G: 212/199.2/140

Height: 5'9"/36 yo

I chew Orbitz. I also occasionally chew Extra, but have a sensitive stomach, so that is less awesome for me.

All of this being said, I'm not sure what the rules are on sugar substitutes beyond the 0/0/0 mandate. Personally, I chew gum and drink diet Coke. I've not noticed an impact on my weight loss. I don't chew gum as a replacement for eating snacks. I chew it because I like to. So the need to psychologically deprive myself is not a factor in my decision to pop a few bubbles on a daily basis.
benice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 07:00 AM   #8  

S/C/G: 222/see ticker/145

Height: 5'6 1/2"

my clinic only allows Spry and Dentyne Fire.
EPAPRN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 08:23 AM   #9  

S/C/G: 158/143/143 BF%= 28.6/23.9/25

Height: 5"7'

Mine only allows those Listerine Breath Strips. No gum at all.
RN2b4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 08:28 AM   #10  
Reboot 9/2014

S/C/G: 198.6/173/165

Height: 5' 8"

Quote:
Originally Posted by JenRem View Post
I can't comment specifically on the xylitol regarding IP, but I use the Spry mints daily (my fav is Berryblast - tastes like stawberry quik milk) and it hasn't impacted my weight loss or caused any cravings. I like to have them in my pocket in case I want to quickly freshen my breath. I have to be careful with them because they are yummy and I can easily find myself "chewing" the mints and they're gone in seconds. If I do this too often, they are more like candy. So, I try to consciously focus on NOT chewing them and only sucking them until they are entirely gone.

I'm in the dental field and this is an AWESOME product. Xylitol is a natural non-sugar sweetener. It has about 1/2 the calories as regular table sugar (sucrose). I know our bodies actually produce some daily, it comes from birch trees and it has a positive effect in the mouth. Where most sugars have a 6 carbon structure, xylitol has a 5 carbon structure. This chemical structure difference makes it so that the bacteria in our mouth have a difficult time attaching/clinging to our teeth. The xylitol leaves a microscopic slippery layer on our teeth (we can't feel this!). If you are going to use xylitol and want to get the dental benefits, it is recommended that you chew the gum or suck on the mints for a minimum of 5 minutes straight at least three times a day. This is esp. recommended after a meal or snack that contained carbohydrates, to disrupt the activity of the bacteria in our mouth. Spry is one of the BEST brands because it's 100% xylitol. Locally, we can find it at a store called Super Supplements. At the grocery stores, you can find gum and mints that have xylitol, but the amount won't be 100%. If you are looking for xylitol prodcuts, try to find the word xylitol listed as the first (or as close to it) ingredient on the list of ingredients on the gum or mints. The closer to 100%, the better for your teeth.
Hope I didn't bore you too much, but this was fun since it's a topic I actually know something about. Jen
JenRem this is AWESOME information!!!
scorbett1103 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 09:01 AM   #11  

S/C/G: 274/?/175

JenRem, thanks for that info! My dentist recommended finding gum/mints with Xylitol but didn't explain it nearly as well (or tell me how often to use it)! Now I will be sure to hunt some down.

I chew orbitz bubblemint once a day or so- on my way home and while I'm making dinner- 1 carb for each piece. I figure it's better that than shoving something random in my mouth as soon as I walk in the door.

Last edited by djs06; 11-30-2012 at 09:02 AM.
djs06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 10:03 AM   #12  
Restart Apr 8 2013

S/C/G: 218.6/207.6/141

Height: 5'6.5"

Quote:
Originally Posted by JenRem View Post

Thank you so much for this! I was just reading about it, but your reply is answers the why better. I've found a few 100% xylitol gums, including spry, now just trying to eliminate the ones with titanium dioxide... I wish I could taste test for free!
libertybelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 11:01 AM   #13  

I also chew orbit....I love gum
mightbe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 11:03 AM   #14  

S/C/G: 257.4/203.2/185

Height: 5'6

I chew all kinds of sugarfree gum, most often Orbitz and extra. I LOVE extras mint chocolate chip ice cream and apple pie! It's good for when I want a little sweet. I've been a gum chewer for years, though.
AnnaBoBanna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 05:26 PM   #15  
Kara - Restart 8/23/2013

S/C/G: 277.4/214/160

Height: 5' 3"

I am horrible because I won't ask my coach lol... I am afraid she will say no gum. I LOVE gum and chew 6-8 pieces a day (two at a time so I can blow bubbles!)

I just have to chew it, it helps settle my stomach, cut the craving when I am hungry 30 min before lunch etc. I actually alternate chewing gum and eating ice.

yes... I have an oral fixation! lol I chew Extra and Orbitz.

I would rather give up bread for life (YIKES) than give up my gum! lol
Calisto is offline   Reply With Quote