General Diet Plans and Questions General diet questions, support for various diet plans other than those listed below.

Old 05-30-2012, 12:27 PM   #1  
Boston Qualifier and MOM

Height: 5'3.75"

Default Eat Stop Eat, Fast 5, Leangains and OTHER IF

Time to start a new thread.

This thread is for discussion of any type of IF. Eat Stop Eat and Fast 5 just happen to be the most published.

Bunneh - welcome and of course leangains is welcome. I myself am somewhere between Leangains and Fast 5 and have yet to even try an ESE fast!

I can see how I will like this so much more in the summer. One of my big struggles in the summer is I get these huge beautiful CSA baskets with this marvelous produce and I like to cook. Gourmet and 350 calorie dinners do not mix!!!. I usually gain weight in the summer because of the produce. Last night I had a FABULOUS mushroom and spinach saute that when it was all said and done was 250-300 calories. Which fits so nicely in a 600 -700 calorie dinner (served with baked Tilapia Suiza and sliced avocado), but no way in a tiny meal could I burn 300 on just the veggies. And no, mushrooms sauteed in cooking spray do NOT taste the same.

Last edited by ennay; 05-30-2012 at 12:46 PM.
ennay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2012, 01:22 PM   #2  
Lost

S/C/G: 140/140/125

Height: 5'9

Quote:
Originally Posted by ennay View Post
Umm 860 is VERY low. It is nearly impossible to get the nutrients you need in 860 day in and day out.

IF isnt about caloric restriction below what other diet plans have, it is a different attitude to how the calories are distributed throughout the course of a day or a week. For example if your limit is 1400 calories (probably about where you should aim) then it is maybe 2 x 700 calorie meals instead of trying to do the currently fashionable. 3 x 400 calorie meals and 2 x 100 calorie snacks. Or with ESE you MIGHT do 800 on your fast days, but more like 1850 on your non fast days for a weekly average of 1400*7.

2000 is probably high for weight loss, but 1000 is crazy low. Also, 5'9 and 120 is very very thin. I'm not going to say that it is not a healthy weight for you because I know that every body is different, however you cant expect to lose 2 lbs a week when you are in the lower end of weight loss. IF isnt about losing weight faster per se, it is also about finding a way of eating that you can live with.

The philosophy of IF centers around you get all the weight loss benefits of calorie restriction without as much of the metabolic reduction of extended caloric restriction.
thanks for the reply, you sound like you know what your talking about, i didnt think of 860 being for fasting, i thought fasting is when you dont eat anything for the hole day and night. but you slightly lost me with the numbers lol i'm bad at understanding math and when i see numbers my mind is just like .. yeah i think your right, i dont think i would be a happy person if i had to eat 860 calories everyday..

but my body is stuck right now on a plateau it's not losing anymore, and i'm very frustrated.. if i keep eating 860 calories a day for 2 or 3 days then go back to 1000 or 1200 do you think i'll lose anything?

i only do minimal exercise,3-2 days a week i will work out for only 30 minute.

i know 120 is pretty low goal weight i might change it to 124-125 i was 123lbs once and i felt ok but my mom thought it was to skinny, i would never go under 120lbs though cause even when i was at 123lb i felt like i shouldn't go any lower, but at the time i wasn't trying to lose weight..so when i saw what weight i was on the scale one day i made an effort to re gain some weight.

i'm not completely unrealistic i know not to go any lower then what i was..and i know i was ok mentally because i made myself regain.

Last edited by VioletRain; 05-30-2012 at 01:31 PM.
VioletRain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2012, 01:30 PM   #3  
Joie de Vivre!!

S/C/G: 230/ticker/130

Height: 5'7"

ennay - Thank you. =)

I'm a little nervous since this is the first time I've decided to commit to a structured eating plan, aside from just "under x calories, eat mostly 'real' foods, less grains" etc. It will be nice to have a place to talk about it.

Yesterday was the first day I seriously attempted Leangains, and I ended up having a handful of almonds outside of the feeding window (I'm going for 11am-7pm right now) because I was really hungry. I was still well within my alloted calories for the day though, which is probably why I was so hungry. It's going to take some time to get used to eating more of my calories at once, I'm so used to tiny meals.

In the future I would like to try other IF plans if this goes well, or perhaps make my own hybrid. One step at a time though. =)
TheBunneh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2012, 01:48 PM   #4  
Lost

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBunneh View Post
ennay - Thank you. =)

I'm a little nervous since this is the first time I've decided to commit to a structured eating plan, aside from just "under x calories, eat mostly 'real' foods, less grains" etc. It will be nice to have a place to talk about it.

Yesterday was the first day I seriously attempted Leangains, and I ended up having a handful of almonds outside of the feeding window (I'm going for 11am-7pm right now) because I was really hungry. I was still well within my alloted calories for the day though, which is probably why I was so hungry. It's going to take some time to get used to eating more of my calories at once, I'm so used to tiny meals.

In the future I would like to try other IF plans if this goes well, or perhaps make my own hybrid. One step at a time though. =)
ah wow your almost at your goal weight ! you must be proud ^_^ ! i'm certainly proud of you, it must have been quite a journey , do you feel healthier? or are you feeling tired all the time? are you taking any vitamins and if yes which do you take? i'm always feeling tired i went to the doctor about it, but they didn't find anything wrong with me except for slightly low platelets. sometimes i even feel tired after i eat.. have you ever experienced this? sorry for all the questions but i thought you would have some answers since you've been through such a dramatic weight loss

Last edited by VioletRain; 05-30-2012 at 01:51 PM.
Old 05-30-2012, 02:02 PM   #5  
Joie de Vivre!!

VioletRain - That's so sweet, thank you. It has been a long road, it took be roughly four years to lose the weight I have since there were several periods of maintenance thrown in. I do feel much healthier and I've fallen in love with exercise.

To answer your question about being tired - Actually, I do suffer from unexplained chronic fatigue, though this is not something new since losing weight. I also have a couple other health issues (epilepsy for one), and my fatigue isn't affected much by diet/fitness at all.

I occasionally take a liquid multi vitamin, but not religiously.

If your fatigue is new since losing weight I would wonder if you eating enough calories? I lost the majority of my weight not eating any lower than 1,600 net. And from the knowledge I've gained through my experiences and reading about the success of others, at 5'9 and 140lbs you should have a very small caloric deficit if your intention is fat loss.

Are you getting enough healthy fats in your diet? Do you eat mainly whole/unprocessed foods?

Last edited by TheBunneh; 05-30-2012 at 02:07 PM.
Old 05-30-2012, 02:07 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 166/see ticker/130

Height: 5'2"

Violet - you might try experimenting with your carb intake. Some people react differently to carbohydrates. When I eat a carb heavy meal I feel exhausted and lethargic (especially after fasting), whereas some people feel full of energy and need the carbs to function at normal energy levels.
tonimaroni2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2012, 02:12 PM   #7  
Boston Qualifier and MOM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBunneh View Post
ennay - Thank you. =)

Bunneh - as I recall isnt the leangains window for women 10 hrs? I've heard that frequently although when I try to find it on his site I never do. Anyway, I figure it is like anything else - perfection isn't necessary. But yeah, the first week of IF I was feeling like 600 calories in one sitting...ACK!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by VioletRain View Post
thanks for the reply, you sound like you know what your talking about, i didnt think of 860 being for fasting, i thought fasting is when you dont eat anything for the hole day and night. but you slightly lost me with the numbers lol i'm bad at understanding math and when i see numbers my mind is just like .. yeah i think your right, i dont think i would be a happy person if i had to eat 860 calories everyday..

but my body is stuck right now on a plateau it's not losing anymore, and i'm very frustrated.. if i keep eating 860 calories a day for 2 or 3 days then go back to 1000 or 1200 do you think i'll lose anything?

i know 120 is pretty low goal weight i might change it to 124-125 i was 123lbs once and i felt ok but my mom thought it was to skinny, i would never go under 120lbs though cause even when i was at 123lb i felt like i shouldn't go any lower, but at the time i wasn't trying to lose weight..so when i saw what weight i was on the scale one day i made an effort to re gain some weight.

i'm not completely unrealistic i know not to go any lower then what i was..and i know i was ok mentally because i made myself regain.
Intermittent Fasting is not full on fasting. There are a few people who might do a full day fast which is really more like a 36 hr fast (night-day-night), but that is not what most of us do.

Eat stop eat - is 24 hr fasting NOT on consecutive days 1-2 days per week, maybe 3 days at the outside. So for example on Monday you might finish eating dinner at 6 pm after a full day of eating, and then on Tuesday (FAST DAY) you would skip breakfast and lunch and then start eating again at 6pm. So you still have dinner that day. Wednesday you eat a full day of eating.

Fast 5 fasting has a 5 hour window every single day (e.g. 2pm to 7pm). Leangains has an 8 hour window every day (e.g. noon to 8 pm)

Your weight is healthy for your height. Which means weight loss WILL be slower. This is the tough part of weight loss - patience. Once you hit the healthy zone shooting for 2-4 pounds per MONTH is more realistic than 2 lbs per week.

And no, I am not going to recommend several days of 860 followed by 1000-1200. I think that is too low.
Old 05-30-2012, 02:20 PM   #8  
Joie de Vivre!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ennay View Post
Bunneh - as I recall isnt the leangains window for women 10 hrs? I've heard that frequently although when I try to find it on his site I never do. Anyway, I figure it is like anything else - perfection isn't necessary. But yeah, the first week of IF I was feeling like 600 calories in one sitting...ACK!!!
I never came across info on the ten hour window. Eight hours isn't really that much shorter than what I was doing before though, when I didn't let myself go crazy with nighttime snacking. I think I'm going to continue trying for eight hours but not be overly strict if I happen to extend it a little at first. That's what generally makes me give up. "Oh no, I was this tiny little percentage off from being perfect, I can't do this!" (Am I the only one who can recognize how crazy some of my thoughts are and yet still feel like they must be true?)

Quote:
Your weight is healthy for your height. Which means weight loss WILL be slower. This is the tough part of weight loss - patience. Once you hit the healthy zone shooting for 2-4 pounds per MONTH is more realistic than 2 lbs per week.

And no, I am not going to recommend several days of 860 followed by 1000-1200. I think that is too low.
I just wanted to reiterate this advice. Two pounds a month is actually a very decent loss considering a height/weight of 5'9 and 140. Honestly I would be a little afraid of weight loss being from muscle if the rate was much faster.

Last edited by TheBunneh; 05-30-2012 at 02:53 PM.
Old 05-30-2012, 02:24 PM   #9  
Embracing the suck

S/C/G: 300/234/abs

Height: 6'9"

Quote:
Originally Posted by VioletRain View Post
...but my body is stuck right now on a plateau it's not losing anymore, and i'm very frustrated.. if i keep eating 860 calories a day for 2 or 3 days then go back to 1000 or 1200 do you think i'll lose anything?

i know 120 is pretty low goal weight i might change it to 124-125
You really need to educate yourself because the road you're going on now leads to some pretty bad things. I'm just going to make some assumptions but here are some thoughts.

Fitness models you see pictures of do NOT look like their pictures year round. They have manipulated a number of variables to temporarily look the way they look AND they have the best genetics AND that is assuming photos are not photoshopped. Where I'm going with this is simple - you do not need to lose weight if you're 5'9" and 140.

You probably want to lose some more fat and that is understandable but as you've already noticed it is difficult to lose weight and your current size. There are a number of reasons for this but trying to lose more weight right now based on your current exercise program is going to result in muscle loss along with your fat and the result is if you lose 10 lbs you'll look EXACTLY like a smaller verison of what you look like right now. Whatever you have as problem areas will still be there - just smaller.

Take the focus off your weight and put it on getting fit. You can live the way you are now and be perfectly healthy but if you want to look better naked you're going to have to work for it at the gym. Minimal exercise is not going to get it done. If you had the best genetics you wouldn't be here posting right now. You're average so you'll have to put above average effort in to get above average results.

My personal suggestion would be heavy lifting 3x a week and brisk walking or light cardio minimum 3x a week for at least 30 minutes preferably 45-60 minutes.

Combined with intermittent fasting you'll be able to see some dramatic results in 2-3 months because you're starting from a pretty good spot. Since your weight isn't going to change much if any you really need to take measurements and pictures to monitor your progress. Focus on effort and improvement in the gym. Keep your protein high and calories reasonable. The results you want will follow.

Just remember to keep it light in the beginning and ramp up your effort over time.
JohnP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2012, 02:31 PM   #10  

S/C/G: 166/see ticker/130

Height: 5'2"

John - you always give such good advice! I've enjoyed reading your posts since starting IF.
tonimaroni2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2012, 02:38 PM   #11  
Lost

TheBunneh- well i use to eat quite unhealthy portioned meals and just recently these past 2 months i've been eating healthier foods. like chicken breast oatmeal ,vegetables ,rice instead of potatoes kind of thing, so i havent been doing it long .. it's just when i left home i started not to eat the right things, and now i'm trying to stop eating bad high in fat cholesterol type foods.
most of the fat i have is probably from me eating to many baked french fries before.. so far eating healthier i havent seen much of a change in anything not even energy, i still feel tired all the time.. my scale needs new battery's but it doesn't feel like i've lost anything.

also i dont have much money but i have been spending a little more for health sake.. like buying multi vitamins and vegetables.. but i dont know how long i can afford to keep living the ''healthy way'' ..

i think i've just been maintaining my weight i dont think i gained or lost anything.. by switching..which is not to bad cause i'm not gaining.

toni - yeah i do feel crappy after eating dense type carbs

ennay thanks for explaining in more detail about fasting, i never thought lossing 2lb a month is normal, i thought it was a bit slow, maybe i'm rushing things then.

JohnP- Ok so what you said makes sense.. so what about food though, do i just watch how much fat i'm intaking ? like you assumed, it's the fat that is bothering me i have almost no muscles

the only thing i hate though about the routine you told me to do, is that i'm scared that i will look bigger with muscles i have a large frame for a girl, broad sholders wide hips small waist and boobs.. i'm scared i'll end up looking like a pro wrestler lol .. ok so i am over exaggerating a little.. but i personally dont like the sporty woman look , i would like to look danty , but i dont think i could ever look danty because my bones are so huge. thanks for your advice and i will try and incorporate more exercise and try and up my calories a little..

Last edited by VioletRain; 05-30-2012 at 03:21 PM.
Old 05-30-2012, 03:38 PM   #12  
Embracing the suck

S/C/G: 300/234/abs

Height: 6'9"

VioletRain

Calories dictate fat loss or gain. Not how much fat you intake.

As for muscles - you don't have to worry. Because you're new to lifting you'll quickly be able to add a little bit of muscle but the only way for any female to look like a bodybuilder is to inject themselves with a lot of drugs AND lift heavy for YEARS.

Having said that - I'm afraid you're not going to ever acheive the look you want. You're built like my wife. You're never going to look like a small person because ... you're not a small person. Lifting weights is the best thing you can do for your physique. Lifting heavy will make you look toned as compared to skinny fat.
JohnP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2012, 03:58 PM   #13  
Still Maintaining! :)

S/C/G: 260/146/146

Height: 5'6"

Violet - If you are really large-frame, you probably don't need to lose pounds. As John said, you just need to build some muscle and tone up. Also, eating fat has little to do with the fat we want to get rid of on our bodies.

I saw this question and didn't see it answered... leangains recommends 14 hour fasts for women as opposed to 16 hours for men.

Last edited by KTucke7; 05-30-2012 at 04:02 PM.
KTucke7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2012, 05:20 PM   #14  
Lost

JohnP thanks ! aahh :< so unfair that i cant be small.. i guess i'm stuck with the amazon woman look ,which is ok but sometimes i dont feel like looking tough, i use to get pushed around because males thought i could take it because of my size.. so i wouldnt be treated the same as a cute little women would be treated. :/ oh well i need to learn to live with what i have , but i think it will be hard to get over it.
because i want to be small so much.

KTucke7 thanks .. well i look really wide from the front but if i turn to the side i can look almost underweight when i'm in the 130lb
which annoys me because in pictures i look huge from the front but if i turn my body at an angle i will look slim.

i think i have to change my perception of whats ''normal''. i obviously have unnatural mental body issues.

Last edited by VioletRain; 05-30-2012 at 05:22 PM.
Old 05-30-2012, 05:32 PM   #15  
Boston Qualifier and MOM

Violet, you dont need to look "tough", weights wont make you look tough or mannish. Do you know how much I would kill to have looooooong sexy legs. Weights can emphasize what you DO have. No, you are never going to be petite. I'm 5'3ish and I will never be petite. I have shoulders and boobs and a ribcage that obliterates my waist. Trust me, my strong toned wide shoulders look more sleek and smaller than my soft rounded wide shoulders. Hiding who you are doesnt make you look your best. Take advantage of what you DO have.

Except for the height, I am built a lot like you. From the side I look thin with boobs. From the front I am wide and square. Some of that just is...and no amount of weight loss can change that. Some of it can be sculpted a bit with muscle, but you can't sculpt soft and flabby.

And here is the kicker. How others see you is more flattering than how you see yourself and when you get strong, you start to see the good.

Last edited by ennay; 05-30-2012 at 05:34 PM.