Old 11-27-2012, 01:36 PM   #1  
Designing my new physique

S/C/G: 316

Height: 5'7.5

Default Ladies do you wear junior appareal?

I often wonder when I'm shopping younger looking clothes, if I'm alone or if many women in their 40s also shop younger clothing. If you do which stores/brands do you like or wear? I realise to some I might sound immature-wow maybe I even am?? lol I just can't see myself ever in mature looking attire.
avalonmoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 01:53 PM   #2  
Not giving up!

S/C/G: 123.5/no scale/happy & healthy

Height: 5'8"

I will admit to being drawn to the styles offered in the junior section, for sure! However, the cut of junior clothes is different and I can't pick the same sizes off the rack and have them fit me. Junior sizes are much more slender - not built for mature hips, for instance. And they expect breasts to be up near armpit level. No bra will do that for me after breastfeeding three babies for a year apiece and too many weight gains and losses.

It is too bad, because I often feel the clothes are way cuter. Perhaps when I completely make my weight goal, I'll try again.
Going4Fit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 01:55 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 337.6/see ticker/190

Height: 5' 7"

I worked at Target for 11 years, and you are definitely not alone. If you see something you like then it shouldn't matter if it's Junior's.
Mara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 01:56 PM   #4  

When I lose some more weight, I hope I can!

Of course, I will choose appropriate for my age and not try to look like a junior. But I agree, their colors/patterns/etc. are more attractive.

I won't be wearing mom jeans or velour running suits any time soon.
elvislover324 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 02:19 PM   #5  
Becoming A Better Me

i love junior clothing not to mention the jeans fit my proportions better when im smaller! L.E.I. jeans and BOGO are my fav. jean brands! i think you can dress junior with taste, style and class regardless of your age! u like it? you look good in it? it fits you like a glove? BUY it and ROCK it proudly!
dangerouscurvesahead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 02:25 PM   #6  
Stephanie

S/C/G: 236/135-140/More Fit

Height: 5'6"

I say go for it no matter what. But there is TONS of clothes in the juniors section that I don't think look "juniors" specific!

It's silly, but I won't buy juniors bottoms because I have to buy a bigger size than I do in the women's section. I can wear a 6 in women's but a 7 in juniors is like a total NO GO! I just can't bear to go up to a 9 or 11 so I won't lol, like I said, I know it's silly!
LockItUp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 05:40 PM   #7  
Heidi

S/C/G: 204.5/149/153

Height: 5'7"

Um... no. There's no way it would fit my hips/thighs.
newleaf123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 05:51 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 224/Ticker/140

Height: 5"3

I do occasionally because I prefer the styles but I often run into the hip/bust fit issues already mentioned. I never shop juniors sizes online, that's for sure! lol
strutter5150 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 05:53 PM   #9  

well nah but i do get depressed about some of the clothes in the ladies section...way tooo fuddy duddy as i call it..i have found one particular store that i just love...and their style suits me down to the ground..i love bright colours and mixing and matching with comfortable leggings of all colours too...that is my style i think...i even have purple hair..well sometimes it is purple sometimes pink sometimes red..rofl...and i am 40!!...people stop me in the street and say how amazing i look even though i am fat (i currently weigh around 130kg)!!...and there is not a day when i go out in public that someone does not compliment me about my hair...the one thing that i would wish i could buy that kids wear are those awesome joggers or shoes that have lights in the soles that light up when you walk on them!!...love those things...cheers liz
lizarddau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 06:11 PM   #10  
nearly there

S/C/G: 145/111/95

Height: 5"1"

I'm old (coming up on fifty-two) but I have small hips and I wear either juniors or girls. Misses sizes do not fit my body.
Magrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 06:44 PM   #11  

S/C/G: HW 212/148/130~174/139/130

Height: 5'4

I have two different black hoodie sweaters in Junior XL. They do run smaller than misses sizes. With my bust and hips, it's unlikely I'll be doing any major shopping in the Junior section, even when I reach my goal weight.
guacamole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 10:31 AM   #12  
Overweight again...dang

S/C/G: 213/160.3/135

Height: 5'5"

I think it's all about being tasteful with what you select. Just because we can fit in to it, doesn't mean we should wear it. Some styles probably look better than others. Some styles are clearly for a younger woman, while others seem to look good at any age. I see women who are middle aged, dressing like a teen or 20 year old, and I just think they look like they're trying too hard.

I shop juniors all the time. I like a lot of the clothes, they fit and they look nice. But there are some things that just look too young. Most of the time, I need to go up a size in juniors clothes, which doesn't bother me. I'd prefer things to be a little more loose. I think less is more.

I like The Limited, Gap, Old Navy, Charlotte Russe, and Styles for Less, etc., and I shop the juniors area at Target and Kohls. But I find myself gravitating more towards the women's section of department stores, though, and other shops like NY and Co., and Dress Barn where there are classy styles that seem to cater more towards women my age. I feel like at my weight, I have a lot more options!
twinieten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 02:42 PM   #13  

Quote:
Originally Posted by elvislover324 View Post
When I lose some more weight, I hope I can!

Of course, I will choose appropriate for my age and not try to look like a junior. But I agree, their colors/patterns/etc. are more attractive.

I won't be wearing mom jeans or velour running suits any time soon.
elvislover324, Most regular departments for plus sizes include an area of Jrs. I find them at Fredmeyers(Krogers), Kmart has Bongo and there are a couple other placces. You might be suprised. There could be more available to you than you think.-I know when I first ventured to the little collecions offered within the plus regular store section, I had a lump in my throat (afraid to try) but set sails to the wind and ran to the fitting rooms. My body looks better in the younger styles. Most of them. There are but a few I have ever tried that I didn't like on me.
Old 11-29-2012, 02:47 PM   #14  

Quote:
Originally Posted by twinieten View Post
I think it's all about being tasteful with what you select. Just because we can fit in to it, doesn't mean we should wear it. Some styles probably look better than others. Some styles are clearly for a younger woman, while others seem to look good at any age. I see women who are middle aged, dressing like a teen or 20 year old, and I just think they look like they're trying too hard.

I shop juniors all the time. I like a lot of the clothes, they fit and they look nice. But there are some things that just look too young. Most of the time, I need to go up a size in juniors clothes, which doesn't bother me. I'd prefer things to be a little more loose. I think less is more.

I like The Limited, Gap, Old Navy, Charlotte Russe, and Styles for Less, etc., and I shop the juniors area at Target and Kohls. But I find myself gravitating more towards the women's section of department stores, though, and other shops like NY and Co., and Dress Barn where there are classy styles that seem to cater more towards women my age. I feel like at my weight, I have a lot more options!

twiniten, I wa just responding to another thread regarding that. Yeah there are those fashions that just don't wear right on an older body. Our body compositions are so much diifferent (even when not overweight) than our younger peers. I haven't been to Charlotte Russe, are they spendy?
Old 11-30-2012, 02:02 PM   #15  
Overweight again...dang

S/C/G: 213/160.3/135

Height: 5'5"

Quote:
Originally Posted by avalonmoon View Post
twiniten, I wa just responding to another thread regarding that. Yeah there are those fashions that just don't wear right on an older body. Our body compositions are so much diifferent (even when not overweight) than our younger peers. I haven't been to Charlotte Russe, are they spendy?
I agree! Charlotte Russe, it's been awhile since I've been in one, since I gained all of my weight. They seem about average for a mall store...like $20-30 for a top, give or take. Probably not as spendy as Express, or Gap, but more so than some place like Target.
twinieten is offline   Reply With Quote