Old 11-16-2012, 11:28 AM   #1  
Thin Within

Talking Steel Magnolias #32

GOOD AFTERNOON MAGNOLIAS

This is another day in the high 50º’s with the nights down in the 30º’s. Sure wish we could get some rain though. The winter crops sure need it and if they don’t get it then they will have to be plowed under. Have you heard of what is happening in CO because of the lack of rain there is a shortage of feed for horses and ~ it is very sad for the animals.

My Blackberry has gotten a new habit I don’t like. Sometimes It has been turning itself on during the night and all my mail that comes to my computer goes to my phone also. I turn my phone off so that won’t happen but, alas, It has a mind of its own. I wonder what happened to facilitate this change in its behavior. I guess I should be thankful that it doesn’t happen every night.

I ate 2 p+ worth of that jerky I made and it is the best ever. Will said I should just continue to use this recipe so I will mark that in my book. It is thicker than the store bought kind and pliable ~ just right and yummy. I weighed out a portion size and then put it into a little snack bag ~ then all the snack bags go into a bigger freezer bag and into the freezer. That way it makes it easy to get 2 P+ worth out to enjoy.

SUSAN Did you have those attachments with your pasta machine that make ravioli and lasagna noodles? I didn’t have those with my "made in Italy" one I used to have and plan on getting them this go round. Sounds like you are keeping busy with things to do that you enjoy.

JEAN OH peanut brittle is one of my favorites and I have not had any in ages and ages for it is definitely a red light food. I think it is nice of you to gift it to other folks and not having it in your home calling your name like it would here anyway. Hope your find the window coverings that will suit you on your trip to the big city.

Have a great day Magnolias ~: wave: Type at y’all later.
Maggie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 09:07 AM   #2  

Good Morning, Flowers! Long day in Sioux City yesterday. We are leaving shortly, for Sioux Falls, to celebrate Ian's birthday. It will be another long day! I will take time to go back and read later. Hope you all have a nice day!
Jean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 05:00 PM   #3  
Thin Within

Talking Saturday ~ Chilly This Day

GOOD AFTERNOON MAGNOLIAS

I have all the pieces of my building ground and now can do the next steps to finish it up. Then I can start on some Christmas things. After I have something cut out I have to finish it or some of the pieces of glass may go missing. We got those M&M computer screen cleaners and they are so cute. The body measures 4 inches then has arms and legs. Mine is definitely a girl because she is wearing high heels. What really counts is that it really did a great job cleaning my screen.

Back after doing some glass work getting all the edges ground smooth and now I’m sad. My soldering iron just went ca-put and now I will have to wait until I can order another from my glass people and then I can finish my building and start on some Christmas things. I have had this one for so many years I am actually surprised it has lasted so long. In fact it is the first one I bought in the 70’s when I started doing glass work. Yikes I just threw it in the trash and didn’t give it a proper burial. I’ll order one just like it since it gave such good service. I probably won’t ever have to order another one after this one for if it lasts that long I won’t be the one using it. What a time for it to go kaput though, when I have so many things I want to build. It’s timing wasn’t the best to check out now. But, alas, I will find something else to occupy my time. Life is good.

I just talked with Will on the phone and he said he had checked to see if the building supply place where he does business had a soldering iron like I use but they didn’t have one in stock. However, they gladly ordered one and it should be here sometime next week. That is much quicker than I could get it from my glass people out in Florida.

JEAN I do hope you are safe and enjoing all your jaunting around. I know you are having a good time seeing some of your folks and help celebrate a birthday for him. Be safe.

Old 11-18-2012, 09:46 AM   #4  

Good morning, ladies! 51 degrees and sunshine.

Sandy and I had a great time yesterday at the Christmas bazaars. I didn't buy anything but she got several lovely gifts for her family members. We stopped at the DAV thrift store to drop off and we just had to take a look around. I found a brand new, tags still on it heavy sweater in a buttery yellow shade for $1.96. A nice addition to my winter wardrobe. We also stopped at Ollie's (closeout bargains) and I found a couple of Biggest Loser cookbooks I didn't have. Today was church and stitching on my quilts.

Jean, I'm like you in that I don't buy something when I see it and then go home and think about it and go back and its gone. I take that as a sign I didn't really need it after all.

Maggie, have you noticed things never "die" at opportune times? I have a Dritz electric scissors that I've had since high school - more than 50 years - and they still work. I know if I ever had to replace them, they wouldn't last that long again.

Have a wonderful day!
QuilterInVA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 05:33 PM   #5  

Good Afternoon, Flowers! It's been a sunny, windy 60 degree day in my neighborhood today. We only had one church service today; Bob's group sang, it was pledge Sunday, and we had a brunch afterwards. Lots of "regulars" were no-shows and there was only one gal running the kitchen for the catered brunch. Bob and I helped clean up after we ate. There was a whole committee to help her but none of them showed up. I've just been putzing this afternoon. After being gone two days in a row I have no ambition to do much. I did do a couple loads of laundry and the dw is now running.

Susan -- It sounds like you've been having fun sewing and socializing! Sioux City has a huge Christmas tour of homes where decorators come in and decorate the homes. This year the homes were the huge fancy ones, along the Missouri Rive, that had to be rebuilt after the flood a year ago. One year Beth was a guide and we went; it was so fun. I used to decorate more than I do now; I really need to sort through my stuff and get rid of what I don't use any more. I always have good intentions!

Maggie -- Beth was having trouble with her phone dialing numbers on its own! She finally took it into the store and somehow a setting got changed that allowed that to happen. We just found out Will has to have sinus surgery. He has been having trouble with upper respitory infections all fall. The window covering I wanted, drapes with the gromets at the top, won't work because my doors are too wide and need a center bracket which won't allow the gromets to slide. I really liked my vertical blinds but supposedly they aren't in style any more, according to the store decorator. We came home with nothing except to think about a Plan B, C, or D! I hope you can get a new soldering iron asap!

"Gma" -- Where have you been? We have missed you!

I need to fold some towels and get another load started. Tomorrow it is church counting, gift shop counting, clutter control, and I have card club in the evening. Enjoy the rest of your day and evening!
Old 11-19-2012, 08:46 AM   #6  

Good morning to you ladies. This weekend was a rough one. Our 40th anniversary was yesterday and we didn't even go out to lunch or dinner or anything to celebrate. As soon as Thanksgiving is over, I am going to check and see if I can get an appt with the gyn. She wanted me to wait until Dec and hopefully they have her Dec schedule up.

Sounds like everyone has been busy, busy. I have been doing things for Thanksgiving as I feel like it. I made fudge the other day and sat in a chair in front of the stove to make it because I was in pain and shaky so much. Fudge turned out well though!

Jack will probably only work part day on Wed and as soon as he gets home we will go get a washer. Hopefully they can deliver by the weekend sometime.

Maggie: My Iphone does some nutty things all by itself too. I just tell Jack I have an Iphone ghosty. Do you use a sodering iron that has a really slim tip or something since you do such small work? I have seen the ones Jack uses but wondered if yours was a special size or something.

Jean: I can't believe that poor woman was hung out to dry by her whole committee. Why be on it if you aren't going to do your job? I usually was on the kitchen committee, but when people didn't show up, men and women from the congregation helped get things back in order when we were done.

Susan: Sounds like you had a lovely time. A lot of knitter haunt the Goodwill and Salvation Army, DAV stores and buy sweaters or vests and rip them out and remake the yarn into something else. I think it is a great way to be "green."

Well gals, I am going to get in my chair for a bit. I hope you all have a wonderful week and holiday this week. Faye
gma22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 11:42 AM   #7  

Good Morning, Flowers! It's another beautiful morning in my neighborhood! The sun is shining, a slight breeze, and 50 degrees -- I won't complain a bit. We are one day closer to spring w/o snow! Church money balanced the first time and I picked up the gift shop money on my way home. There are a couple of bills to pay so I will be making a return trip either this afternoon or tomorrow.

"Gma" -- I was glad to see your bright and shiney post this morning! I'm sorry you have been feeling so lousy. I hope you can get a gyn appt. sooner rather than having to wait. I'm trying to convince Will to go for an earlier appt. for his surgery. He's been on the internet and has spooked himself with all the "what ifs . . . ." When does Jay and family arrive?

I need to count more money so will check back later. Have a great day!
Old 11-19-2012, 11:59 AM   #8  
Thin Within

Talking Monday Monday

GOOD AFTERNOON MAGNOLIAS

I am all discombobulated this day. This past week was not a good one for my program and I chose to eat too much “comfort food”. That said I am back OP today and sticking to it. I know I will show a couple pounds up at weigh in tonight and will just have to face the music. Looks like I lost sight of my FOCUS for awhile. I can't lose weight if I lose that.

I sure wish the neighbor man would go to work. He parks his truck right outside my office window and he is letting it run and run and run and the throbbing is giving me a headache. The sound it emits mess with my body rhythm. And there he goes ~ thank you nice neighbor. I am usually still asleep when he goes to work. I went to bed earlier than usual and now am up earlier. It sure feels strange to me to be up this early. I’m a night person, after all. Stay up late and get up late for years has been my mode of action. If I keep this up my first meal of the day may be called “breakfast.” I am surprised at the amount of places that will be open on Thanksgiving in this little town. Other place we have lived there weren’t any establishments that were open on such a day. Oh but if there is an I-Hop in a town it is always open and usually near a motel. There are just 4 items on the “to buy” list for our Thanksgiving dinner that we will need and they are all for the WW lightened version of pumpkin cheesecake I am planning to make. When I first made it ~ it was 4 points a serving but with the new method of counting points it is now 6P+ which is still low for such a yummy dessert.

DONNA FAYE So sad you haven't been feeling well but am happy you can see the time when you can make an appointment to see your doc. I have several different sized tips that go with the soldering iron I like to use. It is the 100 Watt Weller Temperature Controlled Iron which cycles on and off to maintain a constant temperature of 700 º. It is also the most expensive soldering iron that my glass people sell in their catalogue. There are other uses for this type of soldering iron besides glass work. The feature I love is that it maintains that constant temperature. The other Weller models are good but this one is just superior in my opinion. Maintaining a constant temperature is very important to me with my type of work. I have soldered using a screw driver before but don’t want to do that with glass. I just did that to make a quick connection to show my doubting brother it really would work.

JEAN What a wonderful feeling to balance like that. We do so need snow or some rain for the winter crops here or there will be a big shortage again this year. Will just got home with plans to build a garden shed (AKA: Green House) which is 12' x 10' and we do have the room in the back yard for such a building. It came with all the instructions and list of materials with step by step instructions needed to build it. Should be interesting. That aught to be a fun winter project to tackle.

Last edited by Maggie; 11-19-2012 at 12:08 PM.
Old 11-20-2012, 09:24 AM   #9  

Good Morning, Flowers! The sun is shining, NO wind, and it's supposed to hit 60 degrees this afternoon! I can't believe this weather; we need rain badly but I appreciate each sunny day so much. I need to get myself to the courthouse and renew my driver's license. I've been putting it off and only have 60 days after my birthday to do it. It will mean standing in line for a long time so I'm told anyway.

Maggie -- We need rain badly and I saw on tv where the western states are getting hit this morning. I wonder if we will get the tail end of that storm? You and Will should have "fun" with a little green house!

I need to get dressed and get going. Have a terrific Tuesday and enjoy whatever you are doing. I'm going to attack dust/fur bunnies!
Old 11-20-2012, 03:49 PM   #10  
Thin Within

Talking Thankful Tuesday

GOOD AFTERNOON MAGNOLIAS

Will has been out shopping and brought home a little shopping cart for me. It is a miniature of the real thing and has all the stuff on it that a big one has. From the handle to the front of the basket is 6” and the widest part is 3”. The wheels roll and it even has a child seat the folds up out of the way. I set my M&M screen cleaner in it on my desk. He even found a BBQ lighter that is shaped like a rifle that will look great with the miniature saddle he is building for the museum. He got these things at the Ace Hardware store of all places.

We now have all the makings for our Thanksgiving dinner which we are both looking forward to the leftovers we will have at a later date. Tomorrow I can get a lot of the meal fixed ahead of time so I won’t have a lot to do on Thursday. I am organized so I don’t stress myself. My new soldering iron should arrive on Wednesday but I will certainly be too busy to do any glass work that day. We have to get the place all ship shape for we never know if we are having drop ins or not.

I received my December edition of Cooking Light and there is a yummy sounding recipe called Cranberry curd that I clipped and am certainly going to make. It makes 2 ½ cups so I will certainly gift half of it to someone since it only lasts a week in the fridge. I will freeze a bit of it to see how it works to save it longer that way. I will make that one day at Christmas time.

JEAN How delightful for you to not have the wind blowing. I believe we are also having a rather still day but it is up in the 70 degrees this day. One thing about living in this small berg is that there wasn't a line when I went to get my lisence renewed this year. Just walked in and gave them my money and had my picture taken and was through. It will definitely be fun rounding up all the suplies and building that little green house ~ we just may get a garden to produce because of it. We will be at least in control of the plants environment as much as we can to have them produce and not be fried outside in the ground. It is nice that with the plans came a list of everything needed to build it. Down to every nut and bolt.

Old 11-21-2012, 12:20 PM   #11  

Good Morning, Flowers! It's another beautiful day in my neighborhood. I've been to the bank, library, grocery store, and *shudder* WM. I noticed in the local paper that the library is going to be closed on Friday and through the weekend. I was close to being out of oj; grocery store expiration date was Dec. 1 (for a gallon) and WM was $1.00 cheaper and "good" through Dec. I have laundry going and need to make my salad for tomorrow.

Maggie -- When I first read about your shopping cart, I skipped the size info. There are full sized grocery carts sitting, in yards, in one part of town where people walk to a grocery store. Will you still have to start your garden plant in the house, or will the green house be warm enough?

Hope you all enjoy a wonderful Wednesday!
Old 11-21-2012, 03:30 PM   #12  

Afternoon girlies! I do apologize for not getting in here everyday, but sometimes I just don't do much but sit. I couldn't get an appt with the doctor until December 19th (because of only one car, I have to have a morning appt so I can have time to go get Jack) and it is early, 8 AM but I don't care about the time. That's another month of waiting then having to wait until after the first of the year no matter what we do if it involves the hospital as Jack has no time off.

The plant manager always lets the guys leave early for the day before Thanksgiving and Christmas and so one of the guys comes into the breakroom at 11:30 and tells them he just came from the admin building and Mike (the plant manager) says they can go home. So 99% of the guys except supervisors up and go home. Around 45 minutes later, Jack's boss calls and asks him who told him he could go home. Apparently, the boss had his undies in a wade because people went home and he didn't authorize it. They were given a choice to come back in or take vacation time. Jack ended up having to take half a bonus day he just earned he was going to use for Christmas. His boss said they would sort it out on Monday. Jack says now he thinks the plant manager will make them work all day on Christmas Eve. The thing is, he has always let them go home after their lunch break, which usually is a carry in and over by 11:30 anyway, but he is peeved about it so I guess he was ranting and raving because pretty much everyone went home.

Maggie: Your hubby finds the craziest things in his "travels" around. The shopping cart sounds cute. Yes, I would imagine glasswork would take specifics with regard to sodering. Ole metal on metal isn't such a big deal or wiring either for that matter. Jack can hardly soder anymore because his left hand shakes so badly now. He has had a shaking hand since he was a kid, but it has gotten worse in his senior years and holding soder just doesn't work for him anymore, at least having it look good.

Jean: It is gorgeous here today around 70 degrees. I told Jack I feel like a recluse because I don't like leaving home because I feel bad all the time. We had to go out and buy the washer today and I had to push myself to get a shower and dressed and such to do that. I was so quivery (don't know if that is a word ) that I almost couldn't step into the bathtub to take a shower. I took some Advil when I was dressed and I am ok for the time being. We got a coupon from a restaurant for our anniversary where they gave us entree free so we are using it this evening as I was feeling rotten on our anniversary.

Well you all, I may not get in here tomorrow at all so want to wish you all a very I hope you enjoy it with family or friends. Faye
gma22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 05:10 PM   #13  
Thin Within

Talking Wonderful Wednesday

GOOD AFTERNOON MAGNOLIAS

Today so far I have made that WW lightened version of pumpkin cheese cake, mixed up the cranberry sauce with mandarin orange sections and pecans, made a Jell-o pineapple cottage cheese salad so all I have yet this day is to bake are some rolls. I need to make sure the turkey breast is thawed to cook tomorrow with the other items. We are having a guest after all tomorrow ~ a college student that works at the museum that Will volunteers at. Her folks live far away and she was just there with them last month. Now I am taking a well needed break. Tomorrow will be easier for all I have are some things to cook on the top of the stove and the turkey breast in the oven. All the things I made today will reside in the fridge except the rolls of course. I see the light at the end of the tunnel and all is well.

JEAN What in the world would I do with a regular shopping cart. This little on my desk is so cute. What is neat it even has that plastic square on the front of it where stores put their advertisements on. Every detail just like the big ones is on it.

DONNA FAYE My bro in law has a shakey hand also but he was an engineer draftman and could draw without messing things up. Wonder what causes that anyway. Is that guy that made that announcement in trouble with the boss for telling the men to go home early? He must have assumed it was like any other year. At least now you can see the light at the end of the tunnel and get to the doctor sooner t.han later.

Have a great day tomorrow. If you all lived closer I would invite you all over for dinner tomorrow

Last edited by Maggie; 11-21-2012 at 05:12 PM.
Old 11-21-2012, 10:58 PM   #14  

"Gma" -- I'm glad you have a doctor appt. set but wish you could go in sooner. Your situation makes me appreciate being 3 minutes away from mine, and able to get in (usually) the same day. Imo it should the guy who told everyone to go home early that should be in trouble and made to work all day on Christmas Eve, not the rest of the guys. What kind of washer did you get?

Maggie -- You were the queen of cooking today! Bob cut up the Snickers candy bars for me tonight and I will add the apples in the morning. I'd like to make different salads for Christmas but know the kids really like the Snickers Salad best. If you lived closer I would hire you to make "meals on wheels" for us!

I am heading off to bed to read for a bit. It's still 57 degrees here tonight! I think we set a record as the weatherman said it got up to 67 today.

I hope you all have a Happy Thanksgiving and enjoy!
Old 11-22-2012, 09:54 AM   #15  

Happy Thanksgiving, Flowers! We have much to be thankful for that is for sure. The sun is shining, wind is blowing, and it's 50 degrees already. My salad is ready to go and I am mostly dressed except for my slacks that wrinkle, so have my jeans on until we are ready to leave.

I'm off to clean off the kitchen counter and watch the parade. Enjoy your day!