Closed Thread

Old 07-30-2003, 11:53 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 270/229/150

Height: 5'7"

Default Atkins and Snacking???

Hello everyone. I hope there is someone out there that can help me. I have been on the Atkins Diet. My boyfriend, is also doing this with me. We mostly eat out for lunch while at work, but I have been making him lunch these last few days to make it easier for him. Today He came home from work and told me that even though he got full from the lunch, He still got hungry in the afternoon. He said that he couldnt take it. He needed to snack on something so he went to the vending machine and bought Beef Jerky. I have not been able to go to the store to buy Atkins stuff to snack on, and I wont be able to go till my next payday, but that isnt till next Friday. What can I pack in his lunches for him to snack on that is still within the diet? Any Suggestions? I would appreciate any feedback. Thank You in Advance
Old 07-31-2003, 06:15 AM   #2  
Come on Spring!

S/C/G: 232/170/150

Height: 5'0" on a tall day

Pork rinds, hard boiled egg, celery with cream cheese, pepperoni sticks, cheese, a chicken leg, veggies with a low carb dip ......

The Atkins stuff is really expensive IMHO and some of the bars can stall weightloss.

Take a look in the recipe section for more ideas.
Old 07-31-2003, 09:57 AM   #3  
Lovin' Life

S/C/G: 300/too much/155

why not take some of the left over meat from supper the night before?

Pretty much everything Ruth mentioned Ive snacked on and it comes in really handy.
Old 08-01-2003, 12:04 AM   #4  
WW Moderator

Nuts and string cheese are handy. If he isn't on induction, you can send some wasa crackers and spreads. Deviled eggs are filling. If he likes celery and peanut butter, that is good. Deli meat rollups are good. Spread a dab of cream cheese or other cheese or dip on a piece, roll it up and put in a baggie. Raw veggies and ranch dressing. That is all I can think of from the top of my head.
Old 08-01-2003, 12:35 PM   #5  

This might not appeal to you but this is my absolute favorite snack-i take dried beef in a jar (you can find it near the tunafish at the market) and roll it with cream cheese and a few olive slices. It's a bit salty but I wash it down with a big cup of water(helps me get my water for the day in as well).
Old 08-13-2003, 01:38 PM   #6  
~Insane Java Turtle~

Default I've got a relate question as well

I'm gearing up to try Atkins again. I had minimal success before, but feel I must have done something wrong. So, here we go again. My question is, and even though I'm a REALLY BIG GAL, I'm very active and ride my mountain bike several times a week. I have been on self designed low calorie and low fat eating plans and I put snacks in my bike bag such as water, grapes, oranges, Slimfast snack bars and granola. Some of these rides are very long (some as long as seven hours) and I need to eat "something" for energy (I don't want to sound like a hog). So, if I'm back on Atkins and I can't have nuts on Induction and I don't like berries (which also aren't allowed on Induction) what can I take to eat for energy? Beef jerky would probably dehydrate me, no? HELP! I really appreciate the support here.
Old 08-26-2003, 08:28 AM   #7  
Moderator & Happy Chick

Height: 5' 10"

Hotcupojava,

Cheese, meats, celery w/cream cheese, cucumbers, salad, eggs. Get a few ice packs and pack them well. Bring lots of water too.
Old 08-26-2003, 11:45 AM   #8  
~Insane Java Turtle~

Thumbs down Leens

Thank you for the tip. Nothing seems to be as conveinient as the fruit and granola from my low fat/low cal days, but I'm doing the best I can. I managed the last ride with beef jerky and an Atkins bar (and of course, lots of water). Thank you for your support and suggestions. Mary in West Virginia
Old 08-31-2003, 10:31 PM   #9  

I confess: I am a Slim Jim-a-holic!

I also snack on controlled portions of cheese and small amounts of meat. But usually, a slim jim or cheese...and a ton of water!
Old 09-11-2003, 08:08 AM   #10  

i usually snack on pepperoni sticks, cheese, pork rinds...you can also find little snack pieces of salami in the packaged meat sections (around the lunchmeat) they are good. I would be careful with the beef jerky because alot of them have corn syrup and sugar added...ok for ongoing and maintenance but on induction i like to use as little carbs on snacks as i can so i have them for meals...and you can have the Advantage bars on Atkins just not the endulge on induction...but I am a believer that too many of these bars will slow weight loss too...I am in school and i sometime get the morning start bars...i try to limit those to two a week..still worried about that myself...
Old 09-18-2003, 09:56 AM   #11  
Moderator & Happy Chick

Hubby bought this organic extremely low carb tomato sauce and he whips in some seasonings. He puts some on a plate piping hot, grates some cheese on top, any flavor you like, cheddar, motz, swiss, lets it melt and then we dip pork rinds in to it !!

Remember if you have tomato sauce and you need to make it sweeter, splenda works really well.

This is really yummy physically and when your eating it its like eyeball candy sooths the mind.

My down fall is dipping food, I love to dip,

My Name is Leens and I'm a dipper
Old 09-18-2003, 12:25 PM   #12  

Leens, that sounds really good.... I think i may try that one. My bf and i are always munching on pork rinds, but they tend to be dry...what kins of seasonings does he use?

Mia
Old 09-18-2003, 03:47 PM   #13  
Moderator & Happy Chick

Mia, he puts in italian spices, anything you like thats in your regular spagetti sauce except the sugar, he uses splenda, just one pk will do. Taste as you go along. Lets see, I think oregano, garlic, salt, basil... stuff like that. I never watch him, I only help eat

OR !!! you can mix some sauce w/lots of cheese to make it really cheezy and add taco seasoning, like a nacho dip. Just play with it a few times until you get the sauces how you like em.

Now I want nacho dip Don't forget the sour cream !
Old 10-26-2003, 01:08 PM   #14  
reaching my goals

Leens, where did he find the organic tomato sauce? What brand is it?
Old 10-26-2003, 01:16 PM   #15  

I found that Contadina Tomato sause is the lowest carb tomato sause you can find at the market. It also comes with with the spices already.
Closed Thread