Weight Loss Surgery If you've had it, or are considering it, share your discussions here

Old 10-27-2012, 11:13 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 302/268/200

Height: 5'7"

Default day 5 of liquid diet

Surgery date Nov 6th..yes already voted early..did my civic duty. Two weeks of liquid diet before and 2 weeks liquid diet after. Started the "process" in June for first weigh-in. Hit a glitch with second meeting with dietician when I told her I had had an alcoholic drink a week before..one month set back, extra meeting with dietician. Still kinda nervous. More worried about gaining the weight back..I know a few people who have had WLS and have become raging alcoholics and/or gained the weight back. Exercising is a challenge with my knees so bad. When I met with the physical therapist I was given a Thera band to use..leg presses and arm work helps.
I am kinda angry at myself to be at this point that I need to cut most of my stomach out to lose weight. But it is what it is and I am learning that there alot of factors involved. genetics.hormones metabolism but I still have to make choices. I belonged to TOPS for a long time and watched alot of people choose WLS. At first I thought it was an easy way out, then I thought whatever works for them but I didn't think I could ever do it. Of course then, I was working out at the gym, going out, and still weighing around 300pounds. A few years down the road, life got complicated and the workouts stopped being regular. I was still bellydancing which helped my knees with strengthening my leg muscles. Then the teacher left, partner's dementia got worse. money got tight. so no more dancing.
So I wasn't as active but still working on cement floors at the factory..knees are bad so hoping this will help some. I will still need knee surgery after but the doc says I need to lose weight first. So here I am waiting for my date. I am having the sleeve.
Since I have begun this journey I have learned that there is alot of hard work going into WLS. You still have to watch what you eat and exercise. no magic pills...Guess I just wanted to share some thoughts and meanderings. I have read some inspiring stories on here and want to thank everyone.
sueBhoney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2012, 11:47 AM   #2  

Height: 5'9"

Best of luck on your journey. It is all about health, and it sounds like you want to get healthy, so just remember that and you should do great! Here's to a quick recovery.
Brandis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2012, 12:06 PM   #3  
Old Cackler

hi sueB - yes, it's a long path to decide to have surgery, and then another long path to actually GET to it. But that's nothing compared with LIVING with it. Sounds like you have your head on straight, though. What's really important, though, is that you understand why and how you eat. We often trade one addiction for another - and it's not only alcohol. there are reports of sex or shopping addiction as well, and of prescription/nonprescription drugs. So, any work you can do to understand these issues will help you.

One acoholic drink doesn't make you an alcoholic. Your dietician may have been reacting to the recent report that people who've had WLS have a higher risk of developing alcoholism.. well DUH!!!!!!! that's been known for years.

Also, on the one hand, exercise DOES get easier after WLS, but it' important to remembver that ANYONE and EVERYONE can do some form of exercise. Doesn't have to be running miles!!

Glad you're here with us ...
jiffypop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 06:49 PM   #4  

thanks jiffypop and brandis...surgery tomorrow..more nervous about life after than the actual surgery. I went to a support meeting friday night. it was very helpful.
Old 11-05-2012, 07:27 PM   #5  
Old Cackler

Sue - we're with you all the way. will someone be able to post tomorrow and tell us how you're doing?

sending you off with all the best wishes for an uneventful surgery and recovery, and a new life.
Old 11-08-2012, 12:33 PM   #6  

Sue - best of luck! Keep us posted, and wishing you a speedy recovery
Merissa2011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 04:11 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 319/238/160

Height: 5' 6"

Good Luck Sue!! Hope it goes well!! I will be looking forward to hearing about your progress!
KateB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 04:45 PM   #8  

okie dokie..I m home surgery went well..no probs..except I am not losing!..I think the problem may be that the doc took me off my BP meds which were also a diuretic. Went in for surgery Tues morning..was walking that night. Came home Thursday afternoon..I knew I had gained so I jumped on the scales. Friday I went to the gym for a half hour on the bike..Saturday I was soooooo depressed because the scales hadn't budged. I was crying..what the **** did I do to myself. then got a hold of myself and figured out what might be wrong. The 21st I will have my 2 week check up. In the mean time it is lots of water and liquid protein. watching calories in the protein shakes..and trying to look on the bright side. Maybe I will call the doc tomorrow...thanks for being here to let me spout off. oh right before surgery I was at 261..now am 270

Last edited by sueBhoney; 11-12-2012 at 04:47 PM.
Old 11-12-2012, 06:18 PM   #9  
Releasing the inner hiker

Stay off the scales, dear. It has only been 6 days. When you were in the hospital, you were pumped up with fluids, so you "gained" weight, but only temporarily.

The emotional rollercoaster you are experiencing is also normal, which is another good reason to stay off the scale. The weight loss will come...no worries.
Zeitgeist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 12:13 AM   #10  
Old Cackler

sue - which surgery did you have? with gastric bypass, sometimes we're 'blown up' with gas to make the surgery easier, adn that can affect weight loss.

but bottom line - listen to Zeitgeist. you're only a few days out of surgery, and BTW, did your doc clear you for going to the gym?

Take it slow - one hour at a time. it's not a race. it's not a contest. right now, it's about healing, liquids, and protein. Stay on track and relax a little. it'll be ok. promise!
Old 11-13-2012, 05:54 AM   #11  
Releasing the inner hiker

I woke up this morning with the same question Jiffy asked-did your doctor clear you for the gym already? I wasn't even allowed to vacuum for at least 6 weeks after surgery; was only allowed to walk on level terrain.
Zeitgeist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 05:08 PM   #12  

S/C/G: 348/185/170

Height: 5.10/177cm

Sue....I do understand you frustration...I was the same weight till the end of first month...and then it moved and is moving now all the time It will happen for you...just let your body heal
Sleepy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 04:02 PM   #13  

Hey..yes the doc cleared me for the gym. He wants me to walk 30 minutes a day but with my knees that isn't going to happen. I go to the gym for the bike. I had my two week check up with him and he explained about the iv fluids and of course the BP meds. I am feeling much better. Jiffy pop I had the sleeve. I am off the liquid diet now. Kinda scared of going back on solids but I really know when I am full.!! lol now that I am up and moving around more I have been losing more. JUst had to catch up and lose the weight I gained..oh ell...thanks for all the good wishes. He said I cannot do weights for another 4 weeks tho. again thanks to everyone.