Old 11-11-2012, 03:30 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 194/Ticker/135

Height: 5'4"

Default New to WW (Flex Plan)

First, a little information about me. I'm 25 years old. I have no kids and work a desk job. I LOVE to eat & don't exercise. I'm currently at a weight of 185.6lbs as of Nov. 5. My goal weight is 135lbs. I don't know a time when I weighed that low. I had went down to 160 lbs with many diet plans which only lasted a short amount of time. And then I started gaining everything back and here I am at 185.6.

How I decided to start WW...
My sister had given me all her books and information when she did WW. I even got all the calculators and everything. I browsed through it and pushed it aside. Today, I went to my boyfriend's niece birthday party and started talking with a girl there. She had lost a lot of weight so I asked her how she lost it all. She told me she was counting points (WW) and she exercised. She showed me her diary and told me it was really easy since she could still eat everything she wanted as long as she stayed within her points. It got me thinking about giving it a try. I heard it was a bit tougher in the beginning but once you know pretty much how much points are in most of the foods you eat, it gets easier. So I took out all the information my sister had given me and downloaded a WW tracking app on my phone and here I am, ready to start.

I had currently started a weight loss challenge with my mom last Monday and tomorrow is my weigh in. I don't think I lost anything but tomorrow will be my starting weight of my WW journey. I'd like to meet others who are following this plan and see how they are doing.
SophieCormier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 07:15 AM   #2  
WW Moderator

Hi Sophie! Welcome to 3FC and good luck with your new journey! I have one question - how old are the books/calculator that you have? There is a new 2012 points plan (actually 2011 I believe started the new plan, with a few tweaks in 2012) - but if you have books from before, the point calculations will be different from the WW app. Maybe the easiest way would be to tell us how many points you get a day. Then we'll know if you are on the new plan or the old one.
Jennifer 3FC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 09:37 PM   #3  

Thanks Jennifer Book says in the back 2006. The points the app gives me and the book give me are the same so I'm ok there. It tells me I'm allowed 25 pts/day.

Update:
Today was my first day. I guess it wasn't the perfect day to start since I wasn't at home all day but there's never going to be a perfect day to start so I figured I'd start right away instead of postponing. I went 2 pts over. That's not too too bad I guess. Feels really good though having the option of eating what you want, just moderately. I know healthier things are better for me but I'm gonna get there, slowly. Tomorrow I'm starting the treadmill.
Old 11-13-2012, 09:41 AM   #4  
WW Moderator

Ah ok, you have the old system. The Points Plus system has a totally different range - and also points for the food changed to. You can do this system, but you have to check your recipe points to see if they are calculated with the old way or not. New WW cookbooks, new online recipes, Weight Watchers Frozen dinners, etc are with the new system. If you eat any of those, you will need to calculate manually. Otherwise you'll starve to death.

All products like crackers, nuts, etc also changed points value so if you see somebody say a certain muffin is 4 points, that is probably with the new method. A lot of people write PP for points plus, but not everybody does.

Your system is just fine to use, but it can be a little more tedious if you are mingling with people on the new program. My SIL has all the old material and follows that herself and does just fine. With that said, all of us on the new program have to recalculate any old WW recipes as well!

The new program has a minimum points value of 29 per day. You are probably somewhere in the low to mid 30's on the new program. But with increased point ranges, we have the increased food ranges. They changed the formula to include fat, protein, carbs and fiber, so the more nutritious food has lower points than junk food or processed food. This way, for example, an ice cream bar and a baked potato are not equal.

I hope that makes sense! Anyway - just wanted to make sure you were aware of the changes - don't want you to short change yourself on points, you might be eating a lot less than you should be if you are using higher point calculations on the low points range.
Jennifer 3FC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 12:23 PM   #5  

Thanks for all that information! I didn't know it changed that much! I know I heard that fruits/veggies are 0 pts in the new program. I know what you mean about the different points on items, I bought a Smart Ones frozen entre and it said 5 pts but when I calculated, it came to 4 so I wrote the correct number.
I think today is going to be a really good day. I still have 11pts to go for dinner & possibly a night-snack.
Old 11-15-2012, 10:51 AM   #6  

Still counting my points! Did really bad yesterday though. Went 7 pts over... That's ok though, that's what cheat points are for right? I'm going to do better today.

Last edited by SophieCormier; 11-15-2012 at 10:51 AM.
Old 11-19-2012, 10:45 AM   #7  

S/C/G: 214/206/150

I am curious what app you have? Theres a new app for the Pro points but I would be interested in an app for the momentum program if you have it.
Naddles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 11:58 AM   #8  

S/C/G: 187.4/176.8/155

Height: 5'7.5"

I have been using iTrackBites on my iPhone, you can use it with both Momentum and PointsPlus systems. (Just don't flip during the week! )
Becky Quilts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 11:59 AM   #9  

S/C/G: 187.4/176.8/155

Height: 5'7.5"

Quote:
Originally Posted by SophieCormier View Post
Still counting my points! Did really bad yesterday though. Went 7 pts over... That's ok though, that's what cheat points are for right? I'm going to do better today.
Exactly! One day at a time! For me, the weekly points made the whole program doable, instead of an all-or-nothing type of thinking. Sounds like you're doing great!
Becky Quilts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 12:53 PM   #10  

S/C/G: 214/206/150

Thank you so much for that. I am really excited to go back to Momentum PP does not work for me or I don't work on PP which ever!!! LOL.
Naddles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 02:19 PM   #11  

The app I use is just called WW Points Calculator. It's not a diary type app, just a calculator which is what I wanted. I then mark everything in my little notebook.

Thanks Becky! I know the cheat points are helping me right now too. When I did other diets, I used to cheat and it threw me right off plan. I didn't do well this weekend and didn't count points. I started again this morning though so I guess it'll come with practice. I'm not rushing it. Just going with the flow.

I have a question, lately, I've been hungry ALL the time. I can eat and then I'm hungry again. I can't drink water when I'm hungry because it makes me feel sick. I was thinking of doing a detox/cleanse program or find some supplements to surpress my appetite so that I can get a good start on my weight loss. What do you guys think?
Old 11-21-2012, 11:02 PM   #12  
Work in Progress

S/C/G: 186/working on it/148

Height: 5'5"

I just want to jump in a bit here about being hungry.
1. What re you eating? processed foods or foods more in the natural state?
2. Are you really hungry or just bored, depressed blah blah..and just need to find something to do and occupy you head?

IMO I tend to feel really hungry or hungry way too soon if I eat refined carbs, or foods high in sugar. If I stick to more basic foods such as, fresh fruit, veggies, protein like chicken breast, tuna, beans, egg whites, I seem satisfied longer and it is not my number one focus all the time.

Don't get me wrong I have those days, if I eat a slice (or two) of pizza...yowza I am hungry in less than an hour for another slice which of course I eat. I learned for me to recognize that and plan for it.

AS for a detox/cleanse program...if you listen to your body it does a great job of taking care of all that by itself without the need for chemicals. Our bodies are pretty amazing working machines LOL
nancylmrn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 04:17 PM   #13  

S/C/G: 203/165

Height: 5'8

So why do you all think that PP don't work like the old momentum program?
I did the flex program 12 or 13 years ago and it worked for me now I start and stop again and I am starting again today trying to stay on my points. Thanks for all your help.
jwillits is offline   Reply With Quote