Closed Thread

Old 11-10-2012, 11:23 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 277/252/170

Height: 5'7

Default staying on the wagon

I have found that for the last 4-5 weeks my motivation levels have tanked. I don't necessarily feel sick of dieting, I am just not sure what else to do to keep losing weight. I've stalled for 3 of the last 5 weeks, with losing 4 pounds last week. Now I feel I am back to stalling. I can feel myself falling off the wagon, and it's very frustrating.

I don't have time to exercise between going to class full-time (15 credit hours) and working anywhere between 20 and 35 hours a week as a catering server (which in itself tempts me every day with foods that I cannot eat). I find this so frustrating because I lost 15 pounds in 9 weeks when I was at home this summer and could focus solely on losing weight. I feel in a rut.

I'm calling out to this support group for help, motivation, inspiration, anything you all can give me - because I am in dire need of something to keep me going.
Old 11-10-2012, 11:52 PM   #2  
onedayatatimer

S/C/G: 224/ticker/145-155

Height: 5'9.5"

Hey, I completely understand your frustration! I'd like to point out a few things though. First, losing 4 lbs. in one week might not accurately reflect the situation. You may have lost 2 lbs. of fat one week and 2 lbs. of water and then the following week, say you lost another 2 lbs. of fat but it didn't show because the first weeks' water loss masked it. I hope that makes sense.

Also, have you read any of the posts written by Kaplods? She has really helped me with the whole time limit on weight loss thing. I could never do her justice by trying to paraphrase all the wisdom she has imparted on this board but I highly recommend you do a search on her posts.

Finally, there are times when we might need a little bit of a dieting break. That doesn't mean all heck should break loose but maybe you can allow yourself a treat? Maybe one day a week? That might keep you going. Or how about rewarding yourself whenever you accomplish something that's not weight related. I know it sounds crazy but why not reward the fact that you stuck to your plan for a week? Or that you exercised 5 days in one week. That way, you're not placing so much emphasis on those numbers on the scale. Weight loss isn't always fat loss so the numbers only matter over long periods of time.

I really think that a lot of people throw in the towel on weight loss because they feel like it's not happening fast enough or they feel like it's not happening how it's supposed to.

I really hope you hang in there! You're doing so great! Don't give up now. And you know what I did? I recently gained back almost 30 lb. for a bunch of very good excuses but the truth is that the food was only a temporary fix which eventually made all my problems that much harder to deal with.
Old 11-11-2012, 12:10 AM   #3  

Thank you @luckymommy. It's just good to know that I am not the only one struggling. I have to stop giving into my temptations and thinking that "one cheat day" means a whole cheat weekend. My number 1 goal from here on out is to work on self-control, and I'm forcing exercise back into my schedule because I do truly miss it. Shortly after making this post I wrote a 2 week workout plan that requires me to get enough sleep and wake up for 6 or 7am workouts before work or class. I WILL GET OUT OF THIS FUNK!
Old 11-11-2012, 07:25 AM   #4  

S/C/G: 271/219/healthy

Height: 5'4 1/2"

Oh my goodness... I imagine almost every person posting here at 3fc has had times of struggling with eating healthfully and finding a sane way to live with food.

It's hard to do... but, just think of that number on the scale as information. That number reflects more than just your weight in regards to your food intake. That number is effected by hormones, salt intake, time of the month, and more. I struggle with not seeing the number go down the way I like it.

I think it's important to plan your food for the day. That way you won't have thoughts of 'what will I eat' spinning around in your mind all day.

Often, before I get out of bed, I do my stretches and strengthening exercises. That way... at least I have ten minutes of something. And, really, it helps me feel like I am starting the day 'on track'.

It's so good that you are thinking about food now. This time of the year can derail folks with all the celebrations.

Hang in there!!!! You CAN do this.

Last edited by Beverlyjoy; 11-11-2012 at 07:27 AM.
Old 11-11-2012, 01:54 PM   #5  

@Beverlyjoy I have actually found that having planned out meals for the day helps me! And I did that for today and tomorrow. I also went on a walk for 65 minutes around the housing addition that I live next to at school. I think that helped a lot and boosted my spirits a lot! I know my other biggest problem is stress. I'm a senior in college with 3 majors, so stress pretty much defines my life. I have to keep exercise in my schedule on a daily basis to help relieve some of that stress, or else I get in these funks. My goal this week is to beat my temptations and to exercise and get plenty of sleep every single day. I only have 4 more days of classes then I can take a mini-vacation over our week-long Thanksgiving break! I can't wait. Thank you so much for your kind words and encouragement they really did help!

Last edited by jrkessle; 11-11-2012 at 01:56 PM.
Closed Thread