Weight Loss Surgery If you've had it, or are considering it, share your discussions here

Old 11-08-2012, 11:53 PM   #1  

Default Totally Random Question But....

Do you visit other areas of 3fc? When I was here before my WLS I would visit the 30 something groups or I would visit the weight watcher section and have a thread going for weekly weigh ins, but since my surgery and loosing a decent number every week I haven't wanted to do the weekly weigh in's there. It's kinda like I feel guilty to post my success when they don't have the super tool that I do now. Have any of you experienced that? Am I the only one? Lol. I know when it starts to slow down and I have to start putting more of an effort into it I will but until then idk...it just feels weird to me.
christyk28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 06:28 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 204/114/120

Height: 5'

I haven't had WLS, but I post all over 3FC as do many others. You are welcome to post anywhere.We all rejoice in success no matter how you achieve it.
bargoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 07:05 AM   #3  
onedayatatimer

S/C/G: 224/ticker/145-155

Height: 5'9.5"

I also haven't had WLS but I can't say that it never crossed my mind. I actually think you're very brave and I know that WLS is just a tool and even though it might seem easy now, some people lose weight easily for other reasons. Maybe they have tons of money for trainers or chefs or maybe they have incredible support from their families and even employees. There are times when weight loss has felt somewhat easy for me and there are times when it has felt impossible. You have every right to feel proud and to post on any of the groups because you still have to follow the same general principles as anyone who has to lose weight. Congrats to you, btw!
luckymommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 08:20 AM   #4  

Quote:
Originally Posted by bargoo View Post
I haven't had WLS, but I post all over 3FC as do many others. You are welcome to post anywhere.We all rejoice in success no matter how you achieve it.
Lol well I know I can post anywhere but wanted to know if any others that have had the surgery felt the same or if it was just me lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by luckymommy View Post
I also haven't had WLS but I can't say that it never crossed my mind. I actually think you're very brave and I know that WLS is just a tool and even though it might seem easy now, some people lose weight easily for other reasons. Maybe they have tons of money for trainers or chefs or maybe they have incredible support from their families and even employees. There are times when weight loss has felt somewhat easy for me and there are times when it has felt impossible. You have every right to feel proud and to post on any of the groups because you still have to follow the same general principles as anyone who has to lose weight. Congrats to you, btw!
Thank you so much lucky! This made me feel better hearing it from a non WLS prospective
Old 11-09-2012, 03:04 PM   #5  
Old Cackler

Great Q, Christy! I tend to post mostly in here, and sometimes in general forums or recipes. And I ALWAYS learn a lot from the exercise forum.

To avoid fingerpointing, I never participate in the diet discussions [you know, can I have 1/2 cup of ice cream or will that throw me off, or I ate 2 crackers and feel full] or challenges.

The issue is not only that some people will feel jealous of your weight loss, but also there are a number of folks who are dead set against surgery and once you leave the WLS area, they're free to criticize your choice. So the Q for you is: how much time and energy do you want to devote to defending yourself instead of working on living with the surgery?

And I asked the Q just that way because some of us have a higher tolerance for that than others [and some of us just snap after awhile!]
jiffypop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 07:14 PM   #6  
Joe

S/C/G: 405/249.5/281.5/220

Height: 6' 0"

The main place I post in 3FC isn't very active, so I post elsewhere too. I usually click on "new posts" or "today's posts" to see what is new. That is how I saw your posting.
joefla70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 09:43 PM   #7  

Hi Im rosey and live in alaska,i had the surgury 2 yrs ago. and usually post in the 50+ forum. but i do post on others and sometimes here if its a subject i can help with or a question i need an answer too. i have never got any negative feedback about my surg and was never quiet or secretive about it. everyone has been supportive of my decision and progress.you should not feel guilty,but proud as its not and easy decision. hope you experience the same feedback that i have. good luck rosey

Last edited by akrosey49; 11-09-2012 at 09:46 PM.
akrosey49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 10:38 AM   #8  

Carly that's exactly how I feel!
Old 11-11-2012, 10:38 AM   #9  
Releasing the inner hiker

I tend to just post here and in General Chatter. Every so often I'll see a post under New Posts that I feel I have something worthy to add (for some reason they tend to be IP questions), but I always feel that I am offering an unwanted opinion because I don't belong to that community (not that I've experienced negative feedback).
Zeitgeist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 05:07 PM   #10  

S/C/G: S/C/G 290/Ticker/150

Height: 5'7

Hey! So just to clear things up Im not considering weight loss surgery either... (Im passing time/waiting for a friend and kind of stumbled onto this thread haha.)

I understand why you might feel nervous about joining challenges and things, but I think you should still do them if you want to! I know they are "challenges" but I don't literally think of them as a competition. I don't actually get jealous of ppl who lose more than me, I use those groups for extra encouragement and advice! If you'd like that as well then you should join one! I don't think ppl will consider it bragging at all. And anyway we deserve to brag if we lose weight! Ive been all over 3fc today posting in every thread that was slightly related just so I can say Im finally out of the 270s

Still, I can't speak for everyone. Personally, I don't think there's anything wrong w/ weight loss surgery, everyone has their own way of getting to their goals and there is DEFINITELY no easy way to lose weight. Everyone does not agree w/ me though, so if you don't want to deal w/ judgmental ppl (which you may from time to time) you could always create your own challenge in the weight loss surgery thread!

Last edited by ASaladandaDream; 01-11-2013 at 12:29 PM.
ASaladandaDream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 08:13 PM   #11  

S/C/G: 255/holding at 162/160

Height: 5'-7"

As a member who has never considered WLS, I come in here (but rarely post) to gain knowledge. I do post on the occasion that I feel I have a relevant comment. I guess I understand your question, but in another way it sounds like you're saying that all members in here aren't as understanding as the ones in this particular forum. We all have ways of thinking about things - we're human - and it's difficult to relate to a situation you haven't been in. But that doesn't mean we aren't welcomed in forums outside our own experience.

I post mostly in the 100 pound club and the general weight loss support forum because I can relate 100%. I feel like you do about going into the 300+ forum, for example, or other areas where I don't have an actual connection. Do those with more weight to lose than I had feel that I'm a lightweight in comparison perhaps? I really don't think so. There doesn't seem to be any judgement in here. Challenges NEVER seem to be competitive. They are truly supportive. We all need that. If you want to join a challenge to keep you on track, do it.

I think all the members in here regardless of where they routinely post, realize that WLS is NOT the easy way out. In fact, I marvel at your courage. I've always wondered why someone would put themselves through the surgery if they managed to lose a substantial amount of weight on the supervised diet required to qualify for the surgery. I've gotten insight to that in this forum.

The bottom line is that we all perform best when we feel safe and comfortable. If this is the place where you feel safe and comfortable, then stay here. If you need the accountability of a challenge - join one in another part of the site or start on here. But I really do believe you will be welcomed in any section of 3fc. Good luck.

Lin

Last edited by linJber; 12-08-2012 at 05:04 PM.
linJber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 01:40 PM   #12  
Lifestyle Changer

S/C/G: see sig

Height: 5' 6"

I post all over 3FC
Rhonda Marie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 01:42 PM   #13  

S/C/G: 335/see ticker/135

Height: 5'7 -171ish cm

I haven't had the surgury, I considered it, but by the time I did so I was below the weight required to get it, it took me that long to consider it because of the risks involved and that I wanted to learn to walk before I ran ( lower my calories bit by bit instead of going from my normal huge caloric diet to the much lower one after the WLS), though I know now that some places have you on a special diet to 'train' you before hand. I didn't want to get the surgury and then find out I had not prepared myself for the life afterwards. It takes a lot of strength to handle WLS. So obviously I do not see it as 'an easy way' out. I won't judge someone else whether they got it or not. I will only try to encourage people and support them the best way I can with my limited knowledge of their chosen path to health

That being said, I post in several areas of 3fc.

Last edited by CherryQuinn; 12-11-2012 at 01:43 PM.
CherryQuinn is offline   Reply With Quote