Old 08-04-2012, 06:57 AM   #1  
emaline29

S/C/G: 226/202/154

Height: 4'11"

Talking Keeping going at 81

Just read a thread that I found was closed so I thought I would start a new one on the subject of being aged and studying..or anything else for that matter! ..
I was out of work when I was in my 50's and was soo fedup with being asked what school qualifications I had and then explaining that they didn't do GCSEs or O Levels in my day (English schools types of exams) So I decided to do something about it and did my English and Maths GCSEs and a Bookkeeping and Accounts O Level exam. which helped me in getting another job at that time.
Now as a retired pensioner I am studying Law and hope to eventually get a degree. It's pretty hard going but then that's how these things are, is it not? ...

Last edited by emaline29; 06-14-2015 at 01:12 PM. Reason: need new title
emaline29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2012, 09:15 AM   #2  
GmaTo8

Emaline - you are so right that it's never too late to improve ourselves! That's why we have an Age 50+ section here at 3FC. Good health, especially, is an important ingredient in the recipe for being the best we can be as we age. Good luck with your law degree.
Jane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2012, 04:02 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 165/132/125 or 115? not sure

Height: 5'4" (on a good-hair day!)

Quote:
ust read a thread that I found was closed so I thought I would start a new one on the subject of being aged and studying..or anything else for that matter! ..
I was out of work when I was in my 50's and was soo fedup with being asked what school qualifications I had and then explaining that they didn't do GCSEs or O Levels in my day (English schools types of exams) So I decided to do something about it and did my English and Maths GCSEs and a Bookkeeping and Accounts O Level exam. which helped me in getting another job at that time.
Now as a retired pensioner I am studying Law and hope to eventually get a degree. It's pretty hard going but then that's how these things are, is it not? ...
Wow, that's fantastic! Now that's an inspiration to all of us trying to do ANYTHING! Good luck in your studies!!!
Mountain Mamma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2012, 04:47 PM   #4  
Empress/Queen

That is great, Emaline! I am a huge believer in doing whatever the heck we want to do at whatever age. I was working full time as a newspaper editor and going to college full time when I got my bachelor's because the employer wanted me to have it per the terms I was hired for that job, even though I had experience.

Loved reading your post. I am at a crossroads in life at a time when more and more people in their older years are still active and working and, like you, taking their education to the next level. Kudos for you.
Amarantha2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 11:04 PM   #5  
Rosebud

S/C/G: 30/Goal Met:L-XL/relosing some

I know that it's been a while since you put up this thread but I thought it was so wonderful. Many older people are taking courses, getting degrees, and even getting their driver's licenses when others think they should just retire and relax.

But you can only do so much of that, and it can get somewhat boring if you don't have like a zillion hobbies; plus, many seniors are having to work longer than they ever expected, esp in the US.

So Kudos to you for sure; I admire your tenacity and zest for life ...

Last edited by Justwant2Bhealthy; 11-02-2012 at 11:06 PM.
Justwant2Bhealthy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2012, 01:40 AM   #6  
Want to feel better

S/C/G: S/C/G: 240/205/150

Height: 5' 0"

Way to go Emaline ~ that is awesome. I think that is what keeps people young and keeps them going. You go girl
glynne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2012, 10:32 AM   #7  
Empress/Queen

Yes, I posted before but wanted to reiterate that I hope you are still at it, Emaline!

I am not currently working but hope to be back in a job AT LEAST by next year lol.

Would love to go back and get a master's degree, too, but it isn't feasible at the moment.
Amarantha2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 10:01 AM   #8  

S/C/G: 217/179/142

Height: 5'2

Quote:
Originally Posted by emaline29 View Post
Just read a thread that I found was closed so I thought I would start a new one on the subject of being aged and studying..or anything else for that matter! ..

I am impressed, Emmaline! I think that's wonderful. You're never too old to learn. When I was in my 20's I was studying for a 2 YR accounting degree and I had to take Business Law. I was very interested in it and did well. Looking back, I think I would have been happy in the field of law, not necessarily a lawyer, but maybe a paralegal or something similar. It was very interesting. I never looked into it further.
Wannabehealthy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 01:53 PM   #9  
Lifestyle Changer

S/C/G: see sig

Height: 5' 6"

[QUOTE=emaline29;4426925]Just read a thread that I found was closed so I thought I would start a new one on the subject of being aged and studying..or anything else for that matter! ..
[/QUOTE I am thinking about going back to university myself to get my teaching qualifications, will let you knoiw how it goes!
Rhonda Marie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2015, 12:26 PM   #10  

S/C/G: Slimming World

Quote:
Hi emaline,

I think it is great to have the energy and interest to try new things regardless of age.

Wishing you success in your exams!

Julie
foreverslim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2015, 06:40 PM   #11  

Height: 5' 2"

Emaline Glad to hear of your ambitions and wouldn't be surprised to find out later that you did it. Sure feels great to learn something new, to pass a new goal or achieve a special desire.

I'm 77 but am passionate gardener after too many years working a family business. I celebrate every day outside, every new growth or flower. Became a Master Gardener recently, but study now is to benefit the plants we grow or the insects that are helpful as 60% of insects are helpful.
love2garden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2015, 10:52 AM   #12  
emaline29

S/C/G: 226/202/154

Height: 4'11"

Thanks for all the posts and encouragement but unfortunately my back was troubling me greatly at the time and whilst I struggled through the first year I found it increasingly difficult not only to concentrate but also to be able to just sit and hold the books and write as my back pain increased so much. At the very last exam I had only to add to what I had already written in order to pass but it was all too much and I had to leave it very much to my regret!

I now have my back pain under control with various meds plus I know how to manage it better too and have been wondering whether to look into the possibility of taking up where I left off..if possible.. especially as I'm now almost 81.
This info has spurred me on to look further into it and I'm quite excited at the thought...

Last edited by emaline29; 06-10-2015 at 11:04 AM.
emaline29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2015, 06:33 PM   #13  

Height: 5' 2"

emaline29 Good for you, and glad to hear you are getting that back pain so it doesn't completely stop you. So Why Not? We can certainly do more than we are doing, I'm discovering that now. I'll be 78 next month and do most of my studying on my own.

Also am realizing how much I enjoy more activity after a few years "retired" but don't want a paid job nor degree. Amazing how much I'm now packing in during a week, but making sure I have some down time, too, finally.
love2garden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2016, 09:55 AM   #14  

S/C/G: 210/210/125

Height: 5'5"

I just saw this thread while looking for something about people 70 and up. I know we have the "over 50 thread," but I also noticed that the other "age," threads are in ten year increments. Just as the average 20-something usually has different focus than over 30, so does someone 75 have a very different life than someone 50. When I was 50 I was just beginning menopause, was strong and healthy enough to do an hour of hard aerobic exercise everyday, had a fulltime job and could wear any clothes on the market and look pretty good in them.

Now at seventy I'm retired, couldn't go to college even if my town had one, walk with a cane and will for the rest of my life, have worries along the lines of "who will take care of ____ after I die," look pretty haggard no matter what my weight (I'm not saying this because it bothers me, just that looking good is no longer the incentive to weight loss it once was) and health is my big priority.

I'm just saying 70 is not 50.

the thing that sent me looking for over 70 posters is a very discouraging article I read about the increase in the need for special beds for obese people in nursing homes. In fact most nursing homes refuse to take obese people even though my generation of seniors is now about 38% obese or very overweight. Frightening to think I may have nowhere to go when the time comes. The worst part of the article was the line that said these people are not encouraged to diet because dieting people over seventy weakens the skeletal/muscular frame too much ?!!! I asked my friend who is a rehab nurse about this and she said yes, it was true.

Also this article about diet making no difference to people over 75:http://www.futurity.org/at-advanced-...ay-not-matter/

Thoughts?
FluffyFat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2016, 11:32 PM   #15  

Height: 5'3"

Quote:
Good luck!! Years ago I remember reading a news article about a woman who went back to school and at the age of 90 she graduated and got her Law degree. She really inspired me but I wish I had saved the clipping from the newspaper.
canadianwoman is offline   Reply With Quote