Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 11-03-2012, 09:35 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 259/259/140

Height: 5'5"

Unhappy It's been a struggle...

So to start off, I'm completely new to this website. I literally just registered a moment ago. But I have looked around a little bit and everyone seems so...supportive.

I'm young, 18 to be exact, and I've always struggled with weight loss and my body in general. Today of all days, I feel more insecure than usual. I feel fat, ugly, and disgusting. I go out.. and feel like every person who looks at me is judging my body. Inside I feel like I am so much more though... like I deserve more. All of these pretty girls my age who have these "perfect bodies" and I want so much to be like them. Isn't that wrong though? My view on myself is that... I could be so gorgeous if I lost a hundred pounds. But it's so damn hard.

I've tried dieting numerous times and always seem to give up. I hate it so much. Lately I've been considering checking out Jenny Craig, Nutrisystem, Weight Watchers, or some program similar. Have you tried any? Thoughts would be amazing!

I just hope that one day I can finally look into the mirror at myself and truly be happy. I can't even shop in the Junior's section of stores anymore.
aturner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2012, 09:52 PM   #2  

S/C/G: SW 228/CW 138/GW 130-150

Height: 5'3.5

Coming here is a great first step! It had been exactly a year for me and the support I receive here has helped me in many wsys . Weight loss has been a great side effect.

Be kind to yourself and make small and slow changes. Change that you can sustain. Make a commitment to yourself and again be kind. You are worth it.

I calorie count....to me it is the simplest to follow. I use the lose it phone app. There is also my fitness pal app. Great stuff!
dstalksalot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2012, 10:09 PM   #3  
waisting away

S/C/G: Too Much/Getting There/Healthy

Height: 5' 8"

Quote:
Originally Posted by aturner View Post
Today of all days, I feel more insecure than usual. I feel fat, ugly, and disgusting. I go out.. and feel like every person who looks at me is judging my body. Inside I feel like I am so much more though... like I deserve more. All of these pretty girls my age who have these "perfect bodies" and I want so much to be like them. Isn't that wrong though? My view on myself is that... I could be so gorgeous if I lost a hundred pounds. But it's so damn hard.
I am sure that everyone here has felt like this before. The good thing is that you are here and together we will support you in your weight loss, but also let you know that you are worth it and beautiful at every weight. Vanity is a reason for most of us losing weight, but its also about health. When you start losing weight and gaining energy, you notice how great it feels to be free of those pounds.

My suggestions for you are to come here frequently. Know that you can do it and are worth the extra effort. Realize that if others can do it, then you certainly are strong enough to as well.

You asked about diet programs. I can't speak personally about most programs, but my roommate does weight watchers and has gone from a size 16 to a size 4. It took over a year, but she is almost at goal. My mother has also done weight watchers (an old version of the program) with success. There are also other diets you can do that don't require monthly meetings and dues - those just tend to keep you accountable. Calorie counting is a successful method, as are many others.

Good luck and keep coming back.
gatorgirl6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2012, 10:11 PM   #4  

Height: 5'2"

Personally, I calorie count and this has been what is working for me. There are a variety of websites that help you keep track of your nutrients/calories. I use myfitnesspal.com and their app.

There are sub-forums here for each of the programs you talked about (Weight Watchers, Nutrisystem, etc) Poke around and see what people are saying, it might help you make your decision.

Congrats on joining the forum!! This could be your first step toward a lifetime of happy & healthy living. I weigh myself everyday because I like to see how my body fluctuates and I log every day over at the 20-somethings forum/. I know you're 18, but you'd probably fit in there. :P

People here can be a great source of information. Definitely take everything with a grain of salt, though, because what works for one person may not work for you. Or, what one person says might not quite be true.

"I could be so gorgeous if I lost a hundred pounds."
Probably. But you have every right and ability to be gorgeous now. If you lost the weight, you'd still be you, just 100 lbs less of you. Work on coming to terms with who you are and love your body every step of the way. Luckily, there are so many people on this forum at so many different stages of their journey.. You can talk to some people who have lost 100 lbs, or more! And you can get their perspective and wisdom on it.

Best of luck!! Hope to see you around. If you decide to join MFP, my username is valalltogether.

Some helpful etc's:

MFP - myfitnesspal
DH - darling husand, or dear husband, or darn husband.. depending
NSV - non-scale victory
WW - weight watchers

Last edited by valalltogether; 11-03-2012 at 10:13 PM.
valalltogether is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2012, 10:26 PM   #5  
2Hot2BFat

S/C/G: 368/344/150

Height: 5'7.5"

I was 100 pounds overweight too when I was 18. I was overwhelmed with the amount I had to lose and put it off for years and years and YEARS!! I also think I'm gorgeous but just super fat. I've had uterine/ovarian cancer (obese women are more likely to get ovarian cancer). I haven't gotten married (I don't want to be a fat bride!) and I didn't have kids (because I was fat) and now I have no uterus, I cannot have kids. I will be 40 years old (holy crap!) next year and I just started losing weight in July. I regret I didn't lose the weight decades ago!!!!!! Trust me, START NOW!!!!!!! One year from now you will be soooo happy you did. You don't need to make drastic changes. Eat a little less and walk a little. YOU CAN DO IT!!!!

-Megan
Megan33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 08:02 AM   #6  
Krissy Missy

S/C/G: 181/see ticker/120

Height: 5'2"

Quote:
Originally Posted by aturner View Post

I've tried dieting numerous times and always seem to give up. I hate it so much. Lately I've been considering checking out Jenny Craig, Nutrisystem, Weight Watchers, or some program similar. Have you tried any? Thoughts would be amazing!
I find that calorie counting works well for me and it seems to be a popular method. I weigh everything I eat with a kitchen scale and look up the nutrition information online, then I track my calories in a pen and paper notebook. I've heard good things about Weight Watchers too, and it operates in pretty much the same way (instead of tracking calories, you track points).

Experiment a little. Whatever method you decide on, keep in mind that it should be something you can stick with for lifelong maintenance.
Missy Krissy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 08:23 AM   #7  

Height: 5'8.5"

Hello and welcome. Glad you are here... it's a great first step.

I just eat healthfully... avoid most processed foods, lots of fresh fruits and veggies, very little meat. Also swim and water workouts a lot.

Whatever plan you choose, just start out! And it does help a LOT to check in here often, become involved in threads that interest you, and have this constant support and encouragement, as well as giving it to others.

You can do this!
Misti in Seattle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 08:25 AM   #8  
Geek

S/C/G: see ticker

Height: 5'8"

I have also struggled with my weight since I was a teenager. The first time I joined Weight Watchers was when I was about your age. I'm 27 now and I've had success with the program 3 times - you just have to stick to it. That's been my problem - I fall off the wagon. Big life changes are what's thrown me off, but I know if I really try this time, I can do it for good.

Weight Watchers is a nice program because you can "eat whatever you want", so they say, just as long as you count the points and are accountable for it. They also have readily available food for the program in most grocery stores. I use an app for my phone to track my points called WW Diary (Android platform).

Good luck!
Phae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 09:07 AM   #9  

S/C/G: 255/holding at 162/160

Height: 5'-7"

Welcome to the forum. My heart hurts to read your post. So many things have to be "fixed" for you to be successful in weight loss, starting with thinking of this as a diet. It isn't. It's your life. I don't want to be cliche - your post is well written and you sound like a very intelligent young woman with her head on straight. Stop thinking "diet" and think "life." Not even "lifestyle." LIFE.

** You ARE so much more than your weight! Get that in place first. You DO deserve a healthy life. A healthy life. Being beautiful and cute and fun like the girls with the perfect bodies can happen at any weight. I know - everyone says that, but to the people who really matter, it's actually true. As you gain confidence and realize that, it all gets easier. And the girls with the "perfect bodies" have their own set of problems that you don't need.

** You have to pick an eating plan that will work for your FOREVER. That doesn't mean you can't switch things up a bit and try different plans. I think you'll find that most of the long term losers in here follow some form of calorie counting. Think about it - that's what most of the plans you mentioned do - some just charge you an arm and a leg to eat their low cal meals and supplements.

** Exercise helps. You can't out-exercise poor eating, but exercise revs you up, speeds the metabolism, changes the shape of your body, and makes you feel good. Start walking. Dance like no one is watching, as the saying goes. (Best done in the privacy of your own home if you dance like I do!) Use work-out games and videos. Join a gym.

** Join challenges in here. This part of the forum has lots of people giving good advice. The 20 something group and the 100 pound group will hit you specifically. If the idea of a challenge is to your liking, there is a whole challenge sub-forum.

** It can be overwhelming at first. My advice would be to try a program like WW first, if you feel you need some structure. You will learn to judge the point value (calories) of food and with practice, will be able to do this for life.

** I am saying this at great risk of offending. That is not my intent. If you've struggled with weight your whole life, I have to assume you were not encouraged or were not able to eat a healthy diet as a child. This is something you have to change now as a young adult. Your age makes me think you might still be in high school. It's important that you get your family and those close to you on board with your plan and rely on them for help. Even one person who will be your support through this will make a huge difference. you have a lifetime of habits to break. You have to educate yourself. I know you can do this. Rely on us when you need to for advice and encouragement. And for a (gentle) kick in the pants when you need that, too.

Good luck to you. You can do this. Every pound and every inch lost will be a huge confidence builder. I look forward to seeing you in here often.

Lin
linJber is offline   Reply With Quote