Closed Thread

Old 11-01-2012, 08:12 AM   #1  
Come on Spring!

S/C/G: 232/170/150

Height: 5'0" on a tall day

Default November Chat - Diabetes Support

New month and new resolve.

Pat, I'm really glad to see you have joined us. You will find that posting here daily - good or bad - really helps.

I must confess I've really been off track the past few days. I can't really blame the Halloween goodies - they are quite innocent - it's me! There are some things I just cannot resist. Reading back my journals for the past ten years, I always complain November 1st about the Halloween temptations. I guess I need to find a solution so candy and chips are not the treats I give out since I obviously have no self-control! My weight is up to 190 this morning and FBGL is 6.2, high for me.

Today I go see my dear Dr Jack to discuss my bloodwork and a couple of other health issues. I certainly do not expect my HA1C to be the delightful 5.8 it was last year. My weight was 188 on Nov. 1 2011 so I've sure not made progress.

My kitchen is purged of bad stuff now and I am going to stick with lower carb like South Beach induction since pure Atkins induction makes me either crash during the day or go high overnight.

It's time for Ruthless to get tough with Ruthie!
Old 11-01-2012, 09:51 AM   #2  
Bonnie

S/C/G: 307.5/237.5/160

Welcome pat!!
Rie haven't done any more workouts except for that one day I have had the Baby and when we have her you don't get much done. Feeling Kinda crappy. I have seemed to lost my self esteem and will to do anything around here and it is so sad cause I was doing so good and now I am not . It hurts me so bad when I think about it I jest wanna sit down and cry. I see myself as a failure ! As many times that I have started and stopped this you would think I could get it together.. I don't know what to do!!!

Our Aunt is leaving Friday and going to Georgia so we will have the house to our self for the weekend !!1
Old 11-01-2012, 01:34 PM   #3  
Come on Spring!

Hang in there, Bonnie! You are much lower than your starting weight and are definitely NOT a failure! Things will get better - especially when you Aunt is away.

Doc visit went OK - HA1C is still good at 6.0 and BP was "perfect". He changed my glyburide for another drug that I'll take in the a.m. This should prevent those darned extra-low FBGL readings.

We talked about my weight increase and I fessed up and told him why. He wants me to get down to 184 by December 1. Last saw that October 10! He wants me to report in by email on that date so I'm going to see if I can do better than that by then. (I'm pretty sure today's 190 reading was from darned salty potato chips yesterday.)

Now to make my beef stew with mushrooms and some low cal veggies. I wonder if I can pretend cauliflower is potato. I stewed the beef yesterday so may be able to roast the cauliflower before I add it.

It's a dark. cold and rainy afternoon. I am thinking nap but will probably do some treadmill instead.
Old 11-01-2012, 03:09 PM   #4  
Bonnie

Thanks Ruth You know I have been looking and I think I might try Carb Cycling Chris powell has a great program I think I am gonna look for his book this weekend. He was on Dr Oz . I dont have a problem with carbs making me shoot up .It is mostly Sugar Products and I can say that I am big on sugar I seem to crave sweets and that where it has becme a problem for me. The thing is his plan is almost like what I am doing now jest gonna end up tweaking what I do. The carbs he suggest is all like brown rice and wheat pasta so I already do that .I think I am gonna give it a shot.

Last edited by Butterfly50; 11-01-2012 at 03:11 PM.
Old 11-02-2012, 11:04 AM   #5  
Madeleine

S/C/G: sw187/cw152/gw140

Height: 5 ft 3.5 in or 163 cm

so its my birthday today. We wound up eating out last evening, so I don't want to go out tonight, will stay home by the fire and enjoy my many blessings, including DH. Might make a cake, a hazelnut torte that I can do sugar free and low carb. I too must have more resolve, but I am a bit lighter than for my 50th I think. have a good day all, TGIF?
Old 11-02-2012, 11:47 AM   #6  

Thanks for all of your kind words and support. My fbs this morning was 153. I know it is high but it is really low for me. It is usually 290. I have been taking this diabetes thing more seriously and have been religiously taking my meds. I have spent my life in Overeaters Anonymous and have adhered to their food plan with no sugar, no flour, 3 meals a day and nothing inbetween but no cal stuff. I lost 80 lbs on that food plan 30 years ago but my mind has been telling me that is the only way I can get my eating under control. PLEASEPLEASEPLEASE give me suggestions as what to eat. I try to do OA's food plan and feel guilty if I don't weigh and measure every morsel that goes into my mouth...I feel guilty if I don't go to a meeting...I feel guilty if I don't have a sponsor and call my food in. I haven't done these things for 30 years and I still geel guilty. My life is a free for all and I am losing the battle rapidly. I know the bs thing is not good..but I really need to find a new way of eating that will address the diabetes thing. My self esteem has plumeted and I come from work (I am a teacher) and don't do anything and go lay down and fall asleep. I am like a little kid who needs a new way of doing things before it's too late. Thanks for listening...Pat
Old 11-02-2012, 12:17 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 221/180/150

Height: 5'2 1/4"

:
MAD!!! HAVE A GREAT DAY!!!

Last edited by pattygirl63; 11-02-2012 at 12:18 PM.
Old 11-02-2012, 12:37 PM   #8  

Pat glad to have you join us. I know exactly how you feel as I'm going through some of the same things. I used to be in OA. Even started the one in the League City/Dickinson area in TX many years ago. I like the support, but I don't like confessing I'm a compulsive overeater. I think that reinforces the problem or perhaps causes more problems. I am working at getting rid of the guilty feelings when I eat something I think I shouldn't have. I really am leaning more toward calorie counting. Something I've fought for years because I got tired of counting. However, I have decided that if I count calories that there is nothing I cannot have as long as I count it. Hopefully this would get rid of the guilty feelings because there would be no eating "off" plan. I think it comes down to learning or finding a way that works for us individually.

Well, I talked to my doctor's nurse this morning when she called about DH meds. DSIL is off next Tuesday and Wednesday. I won't have blood work in advance but they can do the A1c in the office. I'm just not getting things under control on my own. I think a lot of it is mostly caused by stress, but it doesn't matter. I've still got to get it under control. DH has an appointment on Wednesday and I'm going to try to get in to see the doctor around the same time.

Y'all have a great weekend.
Old 11-02-2012, 01:02 PM   #9  

Hi Pat.
I'm going to try and get help with my anxiety as I have been really good
at ignoring things. I'm hoping it helps to talk to someone outside of family and friends. Maybe that would be an option for you.

My other news - the biopsy says breast cancer. A new health adventure. DH and DD know, told my parents and brother. Next my boys and SILs. Very hard to make those calls as it ramps up the anxiety. Dr gave me xanax and it helps.
More info about mastectomy (after more tests) next Wednesday.

Another twist - I have to answer all telephone calls (for scheduling, etc) and I keep getting election calls!!! We are a vote by mail state and all voting has already been done....
Old 11-02-2012, 01:04 PM   #10  

PS - I could hardly eat any dinner last night. Chicken, broccoli and a couple bites of sweet potato. BS was 160. Not normal. But it has been since I had the biopsy and the dr predicted cancer. Question - can sky high stress raise your blood sugar even though there is hardly any carbs to work on??
Old 11-02-2012, 01:21 PM   #11  

Froggydawgy, My thoughts and prayers are with you. I understand the anxiety, over health issues. I have had 4-5 friends who have had breast cancer and they have come a long way with all the new medical stuff. Hang in there and talk away if you need to. I have been on paxil for 11 years (my mom died day after 9/11) and I knew I couldn't go on. I went on with husband, 2 grown sons, one who still lives with me plus his wife of now 6 years, grandkids, losing my job 2x and finding another. I have HUGE anxiety and couldn't have done it without my paxil....My older son is a PA and had hodkins lymphoma in 1990 and went through a lot, but is doing fine...Talk if you need to...as much as you need to..stay positive and remember the big guy is in control....Hugs, Pat
Old 11-02-2012, 05:25 PM   #12  

Froggydawgy - Prayers coming your way.
Old 11-02-2012, 06:24 PM   #13  
Bonnie

Hi all been bust here the aunt I told you about that broke her neck she has passed away last night. Funeral will be on Sunday . My aunt went to Georgia she will be home in time for the funeral on Sunday at least we get a little piece and quiet.

I better be running have alot to do so I have better be going have to go buy the hubby some shoes.
Old 11-03-2012, 09:13 AM   #14  
Come on Spring!

My condolences about you aunt, Bonnie, and about the other aunt's early return. Remember to take care of you in all the fuss.

Froggydawgy, so sorry for your diagnosis but breast cancer is so curable these days. My friend Claire had both breasts removed three years ago and is going strong. Look after yourself in whatever way you can.

Pat, hang in there. It sounds as if you have a heavy load to carry and I'm not talking weight. Checking in here daily helps me remember to take care of myself.

Mad, your birthday sounds like a nice time. Hazelnut torte? Wow! If I left now and drove down, would you give me a piece?

Patty, hope you can get into your doc when DH is there.

Weight is down another pound - wish that would happen every night - I'd be at goal in no time - well - a couple of months anyhow. Got my x-ray results from the doc yesterday and the left knee is badly deteriorated. Dr J got me an appointment on Monday with an ortho guy! Gotta love a doc who pulls strings! I'm hoping to avoid another replacement as long as possible so they may do a minor surgery thing replacing the fluid in the joint. I had it done on the other knee years ago which delayed replacement by a year. Anyhow, I'll just carry on until it happens. Aleve is my friend.

Made a wonderful veggie-beef soup yesterday with the remains of my beef stew. I do have two stew meals in my freezer stash. So nice to have comfort meals available in this weather.

Hope everyone has as good a weekend as possible.
Old 11-03-2012, 11:17 AM   #15  
Madeleine

S/C/G: sw187/cw152/gw140

Height: 5 ft 3.5 in or 163 cm

Oh my, I don't know where to begin. Wishing condolences to Bonnie, and strength to get through the funeral etc.
And Froggy, yes, the stress can affect your sugars big time. Do LOTS of self care things, whatever you like. I am big on the yoga front, but any type of meditation, (and prayer counts for that too) is helpful and important. We have "Hopesprings" support groups here, I am sure there are wonderful supports in your area too, and you must find them.
Pat, welcome to our sisterly supports, and keep coming. I would not get too worried about exactly how you eat, any diet plan that helps you lose weight will help the diabetes and blood sugars in the long run. Plans like atkins and south beach are lower carb and smarter carb in general and may help control the sugars better, but only if they are doable for you! Any exercise, even a little walking is also helpful. So start with baby steps.
I agree with Trish that guilt isn't helpful. I don't like ww meetings for that. I haven't been for a while, and will start doing online meetings I think. I am paying a lot for getting weighed, and haven't even been tracking food, so don't know what I am paying for. May try monthly meetings in town, since part of the reason I don't go is that I don't like the leader much. But I also feel like its AA, (hello, my name is Madeleine and I am fat.....) and I don't much like that either. And guilt is just not helpful.
Haven't seen Rie for a few days, hope you are doing ok after the race and that the knees aren't too unhappy.
I ate regular cake yesterday, and well, no point feeling guilty. Ruth, if you wanna come anytime, I would bake you a cake, and will make it as healthy as possible for us! When is your birthday? I could plan for that, LOL.
Well, its Saturday, and the house really needs a good cleaning and the garden needs clearing before the snow sets in. Looks like a quiet weekend for babies, so better get started here.
Love and hellos to all.
Closed Thread