Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 11-01-2012, 08:01 PM   #1  
Back with a story

S/C/G: 281 / 254 / 160

Height: 5'3" - I got taller!

Default Okay, who kept to their plans for Halloween?

And I don't mean necessarily keeping on your diet recently, it's okay to allow for some candy, too . But did all of you make a mental plan and stick with it. If not, where did you slip up and what adjustments can you make for things to go more smoothly in the future?

Last edited by Arctic Mama; 11-01-2012 at 09:57 PM. Reason: Typo
Arctic Mama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 08:05 PM   #2  
Back with a story

My report - I stayed perfectly on plan!

That didn't happen last year (I decided my plan was to have candy or two and I ended up having about ten) but this year I avoided temptation by missing the event causing it, and not letting additional junk into my house. It worked well. Even the stuff I was packing to leave for a potluck, two bags of giant roaster marshmallows, didn't really tempt me. I knew they weren't food for me and that made it about 80% easier to stay on plan.

So my mental game was a success this year, because I had clear goals in mind (I want to maintain my weight until my Christmas vacation to California, which during pregnancy means losing a few pounds of fat as I'm gaining baby weight, to keep that scale number about the same) and removed excess temptation. Keeping the longer term picture in mind and deciding that, if all the food I could plan in the Halloween candy wasn't nearly as tasty, helped a LOT.

Your turn, folks
Old 11-01-2012, 09:07 PM   #3  
Hi, I'm Lauren! :)

S/C/G: SW:209 / CW:184/ GW:~160

Height: 5'4

I had me a turkey burger and sweet potato fries with greek yogurt for dessert. No candy was involved in the making of that video. Although, I found a box of Reese's Pieces hidden in a drawer; I think my mom's trying to hide candy from herself so she won't eat it, lol. I thought it was funny.

Oh yeah and last year, well... I wasn't sober, so that should explain a lot, lol.

Last edited by mimsyborogoves; 11-01-2012 at 09:18 PM.
mimsyborogoves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 09:13 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 298/ticker/175

Height: 5'7"

Ayup. Stayed on plan.

Last year, our first year in this house, we bought a boat load of candy and only had two trick-or-treaters. This year, we didn't buy any candy and just turned the porch light off.
Garnet2727 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 09:25 PM   #5  
Leveling Up

S/C/G: 200+/115/115

Height: 5'3"

Had no trick or treaters due to Sandy and I didn't have any candy at all. Still haven't had any despite the bag sitting around.
sontaikle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 09:37 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 331/164/164

Height: 5'8"

Did just fine yesterday. No trick or treaters so I didn't have to open the bag of candy. Dropped the candy off at work and let my coworkers have at it.
KittyKatFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 09:45 PM   #7  
I Will Because I Can

S/C/G: 167/130

Height: 5'6

I was totally OFF plan. I teach preschool and it all started with a Halloween party at school and two iced cookies. Last night we took our two small kids trick-or-treating, then ordered pizza for dinner. After they went to bed I probably had 6-8 pieces of chocolate. BUT I didn't touch a single piece of candy today and after letting my kids each pick 5 pieces, I sent the rest off with my husband to take to work!
OhThePlaces is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 09:56 PM   #8  
waisting away

S/C/G: Too Much/Getting There/Healthy

Height: 5' 8"

I stayed on plan! I didn't have any candy and I even saw a loss the next morning (today). I did save a couple candies. I put them in the freezer and will have them slowly as treats.
gatorgirl6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 10:01 PM   #9  
One with the Wind and Sky

S/C/G: 360/246/150

Height: 5' 8"

I'd planned on making myself some sugar-free peanut butter cups but got too lazy. No trick-or-treaters at our new place (we're in a subdivision of condos) and no candy, period. We ended up going out to eat at Outback Steakhouse, where I got a house salad (dressing on the side) and the Grilled Chicken on the Barbie with veggies.
Elladorine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 10:15 PM   #10  

S/C/G: SW 228/CW 138/GW 130-150

Height: 5'3.5

I bought a few pieces of dark See's chocolate so that I would not be tempted by the junk candy my boys have. I did OK last night. I had two pieces. Today I will have two and two tomorrow as well. This was my plan and I think it will be fine.....but I will be happy when I can go back to my normal schedule. Its easier to stay on track nutrient wise without an extra 160 caleries of chocolate to account for. Its TOM SOooo..it actually is helping keep me sane.
dstalksalot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 10:18 PM   #11  

S/C/G: SW 228/CW 138/GW 130-150

Height: 5'3.5

Now I just have to figure out a liveable plan for Thanksgiving and its aftermath. Our family has a tradition of leftover peacan pie for breakfast on Friday. I will work that in, but I am not sure how yet.
dstalksalot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 11:14 PM   #12  
Starting again

S/C/G: 289/ticker/128

Height: 5'4"

Haha, nope! I ate way too much chocolate, but I'm not getting down on myself about it. I rarely eat candy the rest of the year and I didn't see a gain. No harm, no foul, right?
shishkeberry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 11:52 PM   #13  
Back with a story

I'm surprised at how many of us took the avoidance tactic this year, and almost everyone stuck to their guns. Good job, chickies! And to those who struggled a bit, nothing wrong with a bad day so long as the very next choice is better. Awesome!
Old 11-02-2012, 01:26 AM   #14  

S/C/G: 178/See Ticker/140

Height: 5'4"

I managed to stay on plan, but basically had to white knuckle it several times during the day. When I went into the staff room at work to put my healthy lunch in the fridge I encountered a HUGE spread of Halloween cupcakes, cookies, and homemade candies that a co-worker and her daughter (a professional baker) had made. Gulp! I then had to see that again when retrieving my lunch, this time talking with people who were indulging and raving. I stayed away all day! I got on the treadmill while my hubby handed out candy to the trick-or-treaters, then enjoyed the four pieces of candy I had promised myself. Now to face the holidays!
Moving Forward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 05:15 AM   #15  

Height: 5'4

Taryl - Awesome question! There are so many "what I plan to do" threads about holidays but not nearly as many follow-ups!

I stayed on plan. My plan was to totally abstain from the Halloween candies/cookies/cakes/alcohol (all of it!). It's not that I think those things can't be incorporated into a healthy diet, but I had a lot of treats last weekend and I have a specific goal I am trying to hit.

Last year was the same; planned on not having any and I didn't!

Now, tomorrow is my roommate's daughter's birthday party at our house... pizza and cake isn't a huge temptation for me (I'm fortunate enough to only like thin-crust pizza and carrot cake) but all of that Halloween candy that I avoided; Heath bars, Reeses cups, Snickers Bars, Milky Way bars, Hershey's Bars, Kit Kats, Twix, etc. (basically all the chocolatey goodness I love) is going to be stuffed into the pinata! LOL I haven't decided yet if I'm going to have any treats or not, but if I do it's okay... it's after Halloween so now it's just candy, not HALLOWEEN candy.

OhThePlaces - haha, how many husbands do you think headed out the door with a bag full of candy on the 1st?!

dstalksalot - I think Thanksgiving can be so much worse because it's not just candy, it's a whole fridge full of goodies and a lot of them aren't things you can pick up at the checkout counter any day of the week like with Halloween candy. My plan this year is fairly easy; I'm not hosting, and since we are driving out to the host's house and back, (10 hours each way) we won't be taking any leftovers! Even if we did, I have an early flight the next morning so I really couldn't take any. Success!
JossFit is offline   Reply With Quote