Living Maintenance general maintenance topics and discussions

Old 10-29-2012, 05:08 AM   #1  
Super Moderator

S/C/G: 239/173/165

Height: 5'9"

Default Maintainers Weekly Chat October 29 - November 4

Last week I was concerned about a deluge of political campaign ads. Today all of northeastern North America is facing a deluge of rain and snow. And this morning's map shows that folks as far west as Chicago and Lake Michigan may feel the effects. Ugh!!

We're tucked down as tight as possible: rain gutters cleared out, lawn furniture in the basement, outside garbage cans secured. The house and cars remain susceptible to falling tree limbs - there's no magic place to park where there are no trees.

Here's hoping we all pass through this.
BillBlueEyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 05:24 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 152/???/132/33

Height: 5'4"

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillBlueEyes View Post
Last week I was concerned about a deluge of political campaign ads. Today all of northeastern North America is facing a deluge of rain and snow. And this morning's map shows that folks as far west as Chicago and Lake Michigan may feel the effects. Ugh!!

We're tucked down as tight as possible: rain gutters cleared out, lawn furniture in the basement, outside garbage cans secured. The house and cars remain susceptible to falling tree limbs - there's no magic place to park where there are no trees.

Here's hoping we all pass through this.
Wow you're thorough Bill. DH sat inside watching TV yesterday as winds and rain swirled outside. I was working so had no chance to secure anything - I guess our stuff will blow away or not. I'm out in the rain and wind all week it looks like - and I have to pick up the rental car today. Lots of towels this week.

I did manage to spray my Gortex with additional waterproofing - hope it works!

Good luck and safe passage to all on the east coast affected by "Frankenstorm"!

Dagmar
Mudpie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 07:14 AM   #3  
Maintainer Wannabe

S/C/G: 161/143/135

Height: 5'7"

Stay safe, east coasters!

I have been down with a stomach virus. :shudder:
WardHog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 07:16 AM   #4  

S/C/G: 204/114/120

Height: 5'

saef, stay safe, you are as prepared as you can be. Praying that you will come through this with a minimum of damage.
bargoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 08:40 AM   #5  
Girl Gone Strong

S/C/G: (H)247/(C)159/(Goal)142-138

Height: 5'3"

Checking in from the motel, with a heartbeat so fast that I'm probably in the early stages of a panic attack.

I got an online newsletter from our co-op and now I have a piece of information I didn't have before: It's not just rainfall that can imperil our apartment complex. The surge from the ocean can drive so far inland that it, effectively, would result in flooding of the Sprain Brook.

Also I am actually starting to look at topographical maps for the area where my storage facility is located. It's inland from Co-Op City, so suddenly I am wondering if the storage facility would flood from a monstrous surge.

So I am feeling pretty sick right now, even though it's just windy, with just spots of rain.

I'll try to check in later. The motel has warned us that it has no generators, but we'll see how it weathers through the doubtless inevitable power outage.

Last edited by saef; 10-29-2012 at 08:42 AM.
saef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 09:00 AM   #6  
slow and steady

S/C/G: 185/see signature/135

Saef, hang in there. I wonder if it might be better for your mental health to stop watching the news at this point? It sounds like you've already taken all possible precautions, so all that's left is just to wait it out.

I had a friend visiting from NYC this past weekend. We went to the art museum, a corn maze, and a haunted house and had a great time! He did change his flight to go back earlier than planned on Sunday though because of the weather, so that he'd make it back home before they shut down the subway.

Stay safe, all who are in the path of severe weather!
paperclippy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 09:34 AM   #7  

S/C/G: 204/114/120

Height: 5'

saef, are you armed with flashlights and batteries? When , we in California had a 7.1 earthquake, there was much damage and that included grocery stores and pharmacies, some had to close. The pharmacy nearest me had much damage but they were open to 2 customers in the store at one time and you could have prescriptions filled and buy bottled water and batteries and flashslight, that was all. I have always remembered that and would try to have those things on hand and food that doesn't require cooking or refrigeration in other word lots of canned goods and a can opener plus paper plates.

Last edited by bargoo; 10-29-2012 at 09:35 AM.
bargoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 09:59 AM   #8  
Chuggin' along...

Morning all,

It's still very windy here from Sandy, and at work we're scrambling to try and reschedule field work, but NBD considering. I kept busy over the weekend with a long to-do list, cancelling my credit card # that somehow fell into the wrong hands, but again, NBD considering. (Also my bank is great, so the credit card really was NBD.) My parents (1 hr North of NYC, but not in a flood area) say they're as prepared as they can be for an extended power outage. I'm still waiting to hear back from my DS outside of DC but knowing her husband their generator is ready to go.

Saef, glad you checked in and hang in there. I'm sure it's tough being in a hotel room with nowhere to go, nothing to do. Since you work from your laptop, maybe it would be best to focus on work right now? I know, I know, easier said than done. You and your mother take care. Is Fritz with you? Hoping for the best outcome.

Dagmar, try to stay dry. Glad you've got all that Gortex.

It went from fall-like to coat weather here overnight on Saturday. Yesterday I made Allison's spinach and artichoke soup recipe she posted last week. Yummy! It got rave reviews from BF as well who really liked the cream cheese. It's perfect soup weather right now. Stay warm, dry, and safe everyone!
Megan1982 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 10:17 AM   #9  

S/C/G: 173/in progress/140ish

Height: 5'8"

Thinking good thoughts for all in the storms path.

We'll be on our way home in a couple hours. The jazz fest was great but I sure felt like a minority in more ways than one.
alinnell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 10:30 AM   #10  
Workin' It

Popping in to check on Saef. I'll be out on the road a lot this week teaching my training class at our other four locations, but will try to fly by now and then.
Shannon in ATL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 10:33 AM   #11  

S/C/G: 178/134/125

Height: 5'6"

Praying for all those in the path of the storm.

Update from my electrical woes of last week. Dh (the super engineer!) managed to get everything up and running again. He mumbled some jargon about one of the circuits being out so that affected the whole side of the house basically. It was coincidence that our front light went out-- just a bulb. Since it went out while I was running the microwave and our microwave is an old monstrosity, I have ordered a new stainless steel one that should arrive tomorrow. Probably not related, but good excuse to replace it.

I'm, as always, baffled, surprised, annoyed, etc. by my weight swings. I was 122 Saturday. My class at the gym was cancelled and I ended up missing my planned yoga later-- ate on plan though-- went to a Halloween party at night with dh and danced, had zero alcohol or food there-- up to 124 Sunday. Yesterday I made it to Bikram Yoga, but went to a 50th Birthday celebration in the afternoon. Tried to be "normal" and not a party pooper-- I still had zero alcohol-- only myself and one other person abstained and I'm pretty sure he was a recovering alcoholic-- but I did eat a tamale, a small piece of lasagna, and a piece of ice cream cake. We had no dinner last night-- just a little hummus and veggies as the party ended at 4:30. My weight this morning is 127.8. Really!?! My joints ache. I assume it is mainly water retention but I sure feel bleh. Now I have to work my b**t off all week to get back to where I was if I'm lucky. Sigh....
traveling michele is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 10:58 AM   #12  
Girl Gone Strong

My mother is the one who likes to have the TV news blaring in the background. I've told her it's useless, because the news stations are mostly centered in New Jersey now, and to get decent news of my area, we need the Cablevision-provided Channel 12, which isn't on the motel's TV menu. I've been following it online. But Jessica, thanks for your common-sense suggestion, which had already occurred to me, as the silence and media-free zone of the motel's crummy basement fitness room did help me. So I've persuaded my mother to put the TV on something banal as possible. Like last night, when "Hoarders" was on, and I thought that a flood might actually be **helpful** to some of those sad, afflicted people & their uncomprehending and overwhelmed families.

Megan, you're right, it might help me to get some routine office work done, even if it's deleting and filing emails from my ever-bursting inbox. No, Fritz isn't with us. We wouldn't dream of subjecting the small dude to the mayhem of dismantling my apartment. He's Upstate, being fed and watered by a neighbor, who often sits with the paper or the TV for an hour while letting Fritz in & out. Fritz goes outdoors a lot, which in the quiet neighborhood, has been okay so far. If I have to head back Upstate, that's one thing to look forward to: Reuniting with Fritz.

Last edited by saef; 10-29-2012 at 11:03 AM.
Old 10-29-2012, 04:56 PM   #13  

S/C/G: 152/???/132/33

Apparently accountants work in severe weather - LOL. I am going to see one tonight for about 15 minutes and it'll cost me about $50 bucks. I'm taking DH along as "interpreter" and I'm hoping he'll see that the 4-5 years spent getting his CMA doesn't all have to be thrown in the trash. If he could just get himself together he could make some real "big boy" money in accounting.

I am driving a Ford product this week. No key for entry or ignition. They have a lot of faith in that "fob" that's used for everything. And the doors automatically unlock when I approach with the "fob" - something the rude little guy at the car rental didn't bother to tell me. I spent the entire day carting around a bunch of stuff from my car (in the rain) because I was unable to lock the car doors (or so I thought).

I brought the car home and consulted DH before subjecting myself to the humiliation of going back to the car rental. He figured it out!

I wish I could choose the rental place to use but my insurance company goes with this one. The service people are very rude and unco-operative with people renting on insurance claims. I had to return the first car as it was totally unsuitable and not what I'd asked for (a Caliber is nowhere near the size of a Corolla and the Caliber had 3 things wrong with it that would have greatly affected my work).

My weather barometer (Mudpie) has just moved to the basement. Uh oh.

Good luck to everyone tonite and tomorrow and I hope the worst will be over then.

Dagmar of the
Mudpie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 07:15 PM   #14  
Girl Gone Strong

I am not soon going to forget the sound of the wind slamming into this motel. It's like feeling subway cars running past. The nearest analogy that I can come up with is the one I've grown up with: It sounds like a blizzard, but with hoses blasting against the window, which, though sealed shut and locked, is still leaking streams of water onto the wall of the room.

I can't believe the power is staying on and the Internet is also holding out.

Then it subsides for a while and leaves me hoping it may pass, until the next set of "cars" rushes through.

This is scary stuff, but I know that as of 6:45 PM, we hadn't been flooded.

I am concerned about overnight, particularly during the very early morning hours, when they are forecasting a tidal surge of historic proportions.

I have wanted to eat my head off but it's my mother who's attacked a bag of pretzels & keeps making trips to the vending machine down the hall while the power holds.

Now I'm reading of a building collapse down in Chelsea, where the facade of an old brick Victorian has given way & you can see into it, like a doll house.

And to think one of my concerns was possibly being seen as overreacting in clearing out my place. Bargoo, you were right. No one will accuse me of that. I do not regret it ... yet. Because as I said, I am actually now also worrying about the storage facility. I did not conceive of the mayhem this thing would cause.

Last edited by saef; 10-29-2012 at 07:16 PM.
Old 10-29-2012, 08:34 PM   #15  

S/C/G: 261/158/below 160

Height: 5'8" (Dang, I shrank an inch!)

I'm so sorry, saef. I can't imagine the distress and fear you're feeling. Hoping that your storage facility is spared and, of course, your home.
Sheila53 is offline   Reply With Quote