Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 10-25-2012, 10:16 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 82.2/78.5/64

Height: 176

Default Ditching the scales?

I was weighing myself everyday. During the last few weeks I've noticed a pattern. When my weight is higher then I expected, I feel demotivated and binge. When it's lower than expected, I end up binging because "I've done so well". At first I decided to limit it to once a week, but after going about 4 days without weighing in, I'm starting to feel much more confident in my body, and the binge cravings seem to have mostly disappeared. I'm beginning to think that maybe I should just give up weighing myself altogether, or even just do it once a week. What do you guys think? Has anyone else done this.
AmyAmy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2012, 10:21 AM   #2  
Stephanie

S/C/G: 236/135-140/More Fit

Height: 5'6"

I'm struggling with the same exact thing right now, big time!!! I really just wanted to weigh once a week, maybe even less, but I hopped on the scale this morning, boo to me! I definitely know weighing every day is not good for me anymore though, so I'm working on that! You just have to figure out what is best for you! Which can take some trial and error!
LockItUp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2012, 10:21 AM   #3  

S/C/G: 204/114/120

Height: 5'

That works for some people but not for me. If I were to not weigh myself and gained weight I would be really upset that I wasn't able to do something about it because I didn't know I was gaining.
bargoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2012, 10:46 AM   #4  
Low Carb

S/C/G: 225/ ticker /135

Height: 5' 2"

I go back n' forth sometimes I weigh too much get confidant & think I can eat. Then I go up a lb & say whooooo nelly. I like to keep a handle on things I weigh daily & only Friday morning counts for "the official". I guess I'm a NUT I need to know where I am on a daily basis.

I have on occasion had my husband hide the scale from me but he didn't do a good job (I found it )

Like I said I'm a NUT (harmless)

Last edited by 1spunkygal; 10-25-2012 at 10:48 AM.
1spunkygal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2012, 10:55 AM   #5  
Overweight again...dang

S/C/G: 213/160.3/135

Height: 5'5"

If you find that weighing yourself is a set back, then stop! You have to do what works for you! If you find that you are more able to stay in control and on track without your weight, then don't weigh yourself. Or limit to weekly, every other week, once a month, not at all, or whatever keeps you motivated.
twinieten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2012, 10:59 AM   #6  

S/C/G: size24W/size12/size10

Height: 5'5"

Quote:
Originally Posted by bargoo View Post
That works for some people but not for me. If I were to not weigh myself and gained weight I would be really upset that I wasn't able to do something about it because I didn't know I was gaining.
The way I see it is, when I'm in weight loss mode, I'm extremely conscious about what I'm putting in my mouth (the quality of food) and how much I'm eating (portion control). So if I'm doing the right things, there is no reason I should be gaining weight. I think at this point, we know what we should be doing to get the weight off and to be healthy.....to say that without the scale you'd have no clue is like saying I'm completely unaware of how my eating behaviors will affect my weight.

Hey! It sounds like a "KICK-THE-SCALE" challenge is in order!! Oh that would be fun! How about a 30 day challenge? And the focus during the challenge should be about feeling good about the things you're doing to lose weight and get healthy...shifting the focus to your behaviors and not the number on the scale. Eh? Just a thought.
angieand2girls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2012, 11:34 AM   #7  
Low Carb

S/C/G: 225/ ticker /135

Height: 5' 2"

Quote:
Originally Posted by twinieten View Post
If you find that weighing yourself is a set back, then stop! You have to do what works for you! If you find that you are more able to stay in control and on track without your weight, then don't weigh yourself. Or limit to weekly, every other week, once a month, not at all, or whatever keeps you motivated.

YES whatever works for you !
1spunkygal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2012, 11:57 AM   #8  
Dedicated Yogi

S/C/G: 269/188/160

Height: 5'8 1/2 :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by angieand2girls View Post

Hey! It sounds like a "KICK-THE-SCALE" challenge is in order!! Oh that would be fun! How about a 30 day challenge? And the focus during the challenge should be about feeling good about the things you're doing to lose weight and get healthy...shifting the focus to your behaviors and not the number on the scale. Eh? Just a thought.
yes! i think we should do it!!
stimkovs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2012, 12:13 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 138/136/110s

I've ditched mine for the time being. It was messing with my head a bit. It's been very helpful so far. It's also nice to have a goal that's easy to accomplish - just avoid stepping on a scale! lol
mottainai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2012, 05:51 PM   #10  
Mini Goal 1- 199

S/C/G: 275/201.3/160

Height: 5'7

If the scales are bugging you, you can ditch them for other measures of your progress. Like how your clothes are fitting (caveat being you have to get rid of slouchy, baggy clothing which can hide the truth) or weigh in once a week or every two weeks or every month.

I used to have a really bad relationship with the scale and I'm still working on it but I'm beginning to find acceptance that the numbers from my daily weigh ins are just that- numbers that I CAN change whatever the previous day(s) was/were like. It's a tough road and obviously I am happy when the scale moves in the right direction, but I'm learning to roll with the punches and keep going on to make good decisions.
toastedsmoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2012, 02:25 AM   #11  
Hug a Tree!

Height: 4'9"

I'm considering giving it up. I don't need it to tell me when I'm gaining. I'm very short. I can tell when I've gained 2lbs. I don't need to step on a scale to figure it out, my clothes let me know.
LandonsBaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2012, 02:31 AM   #12  

S/C/G: 82.2/78.5/64

Height: 176

Quote:

This sounds like an awesome idea! I think I might give up weighing myself for at least 30 days and see how I go.

I've got several clothes that all fit me differently which I'm going to use as reference to how well I'm doing. I doubt I'll gain weight because I know I'm eating at a deficit. Binging is the only thing at the moment that's standing in my way, and the scales have become a trigger.
AmyAmy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2012, 12:06 PM   #13  
Sarah

S/C/G: 350/184/180

Height: 6'

I go back and forth...at my higher weights, I ditched the scale but could feel that I was losing. I didn't need to see a number every day, or every week to tell me I was. But as I got closer to my goal, and it became harder to lose even a fewpounds I started weighing everyday. It helped to show me if what I was doing, was working, and kept me modivated.

I actually ended up ditching my scale all together for a few months after hitting my goal though, and gained 10 pounds xD so just depends. Taking measurements of your body is a good way to track progress too Good luck with whatever you do
baker23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2012, 12:19 PM   #14  
Ailsa

S/C/G: 189/ticker/140

Height: 5'7

Quote:
The way I see it is, when I'm in weight loss mode, I'm extremely conscious about what I'm putting in my mouth (the quality of food) and how much I'm eating (portion control). So if I'm doing the right things, there is no reason I should be gaining weight. I think at this point, we know what we should be doing to get the weight off and to be healthy.....to say that without the scale you'd have no clue is like saying I'm completely unaware of how my eating behaviors will affect my weight.

^^^THIS!

I think once we get going with healthy eating and counting calories we more or less develop a knowledge about how many calories we're putting in our bodies every day. If you are exercising regularly too and staying under your calorie limit and the scale doesn't reflect that, F the scale! I find that when I have maybe not been recording what I've been eating or taken a couple days off or been on vacation or away, etc, I like to weigh myself afterwards to know where my starting pt so to say is. But if you are doing all the things right that you have control over, ignore the scale for a couple weeks. That is really discouraging. If you know you've been slacking and not recording your intake, the scale might reflect that. But as long as you know that you've been pulling your weight just go based on how you look and feel! don't let those numbers get you down. I'm sure you look great
AilsaPearl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2012, 12:23 PM   #15  
Embracing the suck

S/C/G: 300/234/abs

Height: 6'9"

I don't own a scale.
JohnP is offline   Reply With Quote