Old 10-24-2012, 10:28 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 312/312/180

Height: 5'6"

Default new here and restarting WW really need support

Hi everybody,

I am starting WW again and am new to this site. I have had some major upheavals in my life in the last month and have seen myself in the mirror one too many times at this weight and it has to stop.

I hate exercise; its not that i am lazy, its that it hurts; my ankles stay swollen and last time I tried walking I actually got a hairline fracture in my ankle and the Doctor said it was from too much weight!omg!!
So, I am here hoping I can find a great support group that will take me under their wings and put a foot at me when I need it!
thingirltrapped is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2012, 03:07 AM   #2  
Hoping for 160 by NYE!

S/C/G: 323/ticker/150

Height: 5'7

Welcome! I hope that you can find some sort of exercise that you can do. I know that I would never have gotten where I am without it, and I think that's a major difference between this and all the other times I tried to lose weight.

When I was about 310-315, I started with wii fit free step for 10 minutes a day at it's slowest pace. I just kept at it faithfully till I could do more and now, about 18 months later, I can run 7 miles.

All that to say, do what you can now, anything is better than nothing...even chair aerobics if that's what you have to do...and let it grow on you.

Good luck on your journey!
sevencallmemom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2012, 09:50 AM   #3  

Thanks Trish! you are an inspiration to me. I am about your size exactly at your starting weight. Did you do WW, or what plan did you use?
Old 10-25-2012, 10:05 AM   #4  

S/C/G: HW:336/CW:236/GW:175

Height: 5' 7"

I know for me I get more exercise now simply because the more I lose the better I feel and the easier it is to be more active. I'm still not really an active person and I don't have a good, regular exercise regimen, so I'm not a good example in that respect. But I think if you stick to whatever weight loss program you are on and just don't let yourself give up then you will lose weight and find that you're more active without even trying too hard. I get out and play with the kids more and go out shopping. It's just getting easier. I don't know if I explained that very well Like I said, I'm not a good example as far as exercising goes, but just sticking to the diet I've lost 76 pounds in a year, so that makes me happy. I just switched from Atkins to WW's a week ago and the scale has started moving down again. I was stuck for a couple of months so I decided to change up my diet. So far I really like WW's. It's just hard to get used to weighing and measuring everything.
mandydawn77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2012, 10:54 AM   #5  

S/C/G: HW:319/RW:257/CW:193.0/GW:140

Height: 5'4"

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by thingirltrapped View Post
I hate exercise; its not that i am lazy, its that it hurts; my ankles stay swollen and last time I tried walking I actually got a hairline fracture in my ankle and the Doctor said it was from too much weight!omg!!
Thingirl, do you like to swim or have access to a pool? Exercising in the water will help to take the stress off of your joints and so it shouldn't hurt so much.

Also, you don't have to start exercising right away! Stick with your WW, lose a few pounds, get some success going, and then try to incorporate exercise.

Or, you can start small now with it; just park farther from the door at the grocery store; get up during the commercials while watching TV and walk laps around the house; dance a little while vacuuming and sweeping. Just some ideas to get you moving more.

Good luck on your journey. If I can do it, you can too!!

to 3FC!!!
sluggerbean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2012, 11:32 AM   #6  

S/C/G: high285/resrart276/ticker/140

Height: 5'3"

Welcome!

You have gotten some great advice. If you join the site sparkpeople, there are videos on there of seated workouts. They might be an option for you, and I agree with getting in a pool if you can.

I use Leslie Sansone's Walk Away the Pounds. The 1 mile workouts are easy on your body and get you moving. Some of them are even easier (maybe look for the senior walk). I could do these even at my heaviest.

You can do this!!! There are so many on this site that prove it's possible!!!
findingfawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2012, 11:44 AM   #7  

S/C/G: size24W/size12/size10

Height: 5'5"

Welcome!! You mentioned that walking is hard on your ankles; I'm not sure if you have access to a fitness club but have you ever tried the stationary bike (the ones that have the backs on it)? Maybe this could take some of the weight off your ankles that walking places on them, and you can still get in some activity. Someone mentioned swimming too which is fantastic for the joints.
angieand2girls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2012, 03:32 PM   #8  

Thanks everybody! all great advice! I dont have a pool or access to one(except in the summer), but I do love swimming. I try to park about midway from doors at grocery, and I walk alot at my new job.
the encumbent bike is a great idea and I actually really like using it, i just have to make time to go. So many people on here have done so amazingly well, that I am finding confidence in your achievements.
Old 10-25-2012, 03:52 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 298/ticker/175

Height: 5'7"

Hi there! I've been on WW since January of this year. For the first two months, I didn't really exercise. I focused on understanding the points system and changing my eating habits. After that, I gradually started adding small amounts of exercise. Five minutes walking here, 10 minutes on an exercise bike there, 30 minutes swimming over here. Now that I'm 10 months in, I do more exercise but not a whole lot, really. I walk a half hour most days and swim 45 minutes to an hour twice a week unless I'm travelling for business. I have arthritis so I have to be careful and take things slowly.

You can do this, thingirltrapped. Just make small changes, one or two at a time and in the end, they will add up without being overwhelming. Take your time and try not to stess about it.
Garnet2727 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2012, 06:07 PM   #10  
Hoping for 160 by NYE!

S/C/G: 323/ticker/150

Quote:
Originally Posted by thingirltrapped View Post
Thanks Trish! you are an inspiration to me. I am about your size exactly at your starting weight. Did you do WW, or what plan did you use?
I did my own thing, mostly low carb, but always flexible and willing to change when that wasn't working. That said, I think WW is a really smart choice.

Oh and someone mentioned Leslie Sansone videos...I STILL do her videos, even now. I teach a fitness class at church 3x a week and we almost always use her videos. They're great at any level.
sevencallmemom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2012, 10:53 PM   #11  

S/C/G: HW:336/CW:236/GW:175

Height: 5' 7"

I also like Leslie Sansone's videos. It's the only exercise videos I ever really stuck with. I have like 5 of her videos. She's really good and the 1 and 2 mile walks are quite easy.
mandydawn77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2012, 06:55 PM   #12  
Mini Goal 1- 199

S/C/G: 275/201.3/160

I also like/still use Leslie Sansone Walk Away the Pounds dvds. They're good for any fitness level as you can adjust how intense you get with them to your own fitness level. Do you have a good pair of sneakers/supportive shoes? It might be worth investing in if you're trying to get into fitness. I started running in the 250s and my knees killed me till I got a good pair of running shoes, they were life changing. My dad is just getting into walking again and he just changed his sneakers to ones meant for someone with his gait (slight over-pronator) and he says they've really helped with his foot and knee pain after exercising.
toastedsmoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2012, 07:11 PM   #13  

S/C/G: 255/holding at 162/160

Height: 5'-7"

Welcome to the forum. You'll get lots of support and encouragement here. Do whatever you can to move a bit more than usual and keep working up to a higher level. You'll see improvement in a very short time.

Lin
linJber is offline   Reply With Quote