Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 10-25-2012, 06:17 AM   #1  
Heading Downtown...

S/C/G: 225/165/165

Height: 5'8"

Default Working & Walking at the same time...

I debated about starting this thread because it seemed silly to me, but I'm just so excited about this that I really wanted to share it here to see if anyone else might be doing something like this and what there experience has been... But I'd also love to hear what people might be doing to be a little more active at work too...

So I finally got a treadmill workstation set up at my office and just started using it this week... and I LOVE IT! I've only been doing about 20 minutes here and there, but I already notice a difference in my energy level and I think it actually helps me to focus better too...

So if anyone has any experience with something like this I'd love to hear it, but I'd also love to hear what other people do to "move" more at work too...
TripSwitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2012, 06:44 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 138/136/110s

That sounds REALLY COOL actually, a treadmill workstation! I'd love something like that! Such a great idea.
It's not exactly work, but I used to take my studying to the gym and do it on the treadmill or elliptical all the time.
I worked in a lab for the past several years, big building, and I just made sure to take the long route whenever I had to go around getting supplies or whatever. And every time I got an experiment started running, as a reward I'd run up the six floors to the rooftop and hang out up there for a bit (still don't know if that was actually allowed or not, lol).
mottainai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2012, 08:41 AM   #3  

S/C/G: 195/145/145

Height: 5'11"

Quote:
Originally Posted by TripSwitch View Post
I'm just so excited about this that I really wanted to share it here to see if anyone else might be doing something like this and what there experience has been... I'd also love to hear what other people do to "move" more at work too...
It sounds like a great idea, though it wouldn't work for me because I'm very bad at multitasking. As they used to say about Gerald Ford, I have trouble walking and chewing gum at the same time. I've tried watching TV while exercising and even that is too much to me, so I have to keep my work and my workouts separate.

F.
freelancemomma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2012, 09:38 AM   #4  
Heading Downtown...

Quote:
Originally Posted by freelancemomma View Post
It sounds like a great idea, though it wouldn't work for me because I'm very bad at multitasking. As they used to say about Gerald Ford, I have trouble walking and chewing gum at the same time. I've tried watching TV while exercising and even that is too much to me, so I have to keep my work and my workouts separate.

F.
This was actually a big concern for me... But the treadmill that is part of this workstation is designed for very slow walking (as slow as about a half mile an hour or so, I think...) So I've been using it at only about 1.2 to 1.5 miles per hour so far... and I'm pretty shocked that I can actually get things done so far... But from what I understand it definitely doesn't take the place of a workout...

But so far it seems to be making me feel more energetic and really helping me with that mid-afternoon "lull" that I always seem to have at work...

Quote:
Originally Posted by mottainai View Post
That sounds REALLY COOL actually, a treadmill workstation! I'd love something like that! Such a great idea.
It's not exactly work, but I used to take my studying to the gym and do it on the treadmill or elliptical all the time.
I worked in a lab for the past several years, big building, and I just made sure to take the long route whenever I had to go around getting supplies or whatever. And every time I got an experiment started running, as a reward I'd run up the six floors to the rooftop and hang out up there for a bit (still don't know if that was actually allowed or not, lol).
I try to do stuff like this too at work... Definitely take the stairs as much as I can... but my co-workers never seem to want to do more than 2 flights lol...
Old 10-25-2012, 10:59 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 285/180/160

Height: 5'9"

Well, I don't really get to sit down during my work day to begin with. And I think my students wouldn't ever focus if I was on a treadmill the whole time.

I always take the stairs, break up errands so that I have to make "return" trips to other places whenever possible, and try to move whenever possible.

However, if I had the opportunity to put a treadmill like that in my living room, so that I could grade papers and walk at the same time, I would be all over that.
duckyyellowfeet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2012, 12:02 AM   #6  

S/C/G: 145 / 102 / ?

Height: 5'

Ha ha ha--yes, my husband is TOTALLY doing this, and posting his pics on Facebook! ;-) He's so excited about it!
HungryHungryHippo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2012, 12:41 PM   #7  
Lifelong Alaskan!

S/C/G: 230/180/150

Height: 5'5"

ive never tried one of those but i know that, when i work out in the mornings on a treadmill, that i have more energy for the rest of the day

but i also have a job where i'm on my feet for most of the work time...constantly up and down, walking all over the place, and multitasking with the students all the time...i only have a few slots of time in my day where i can sit for any appreciable amount of time
alaskanlaughter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2012, 12:44 PM   #8  

Height: 5'0"

I'm a writer, so that means I spend a lot of time on my butt. And though I multitask easily, I don't think I could actually type and walk on a treadmill at the same time.

The best I can do to combine work and exercise is to make an effort to take 10 minute breaks every hour or so. When I feel really motivated, I'll do push-ups or squats or crunches during those times.
banananutmuffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2012, 01:05 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 252/see ticker/199

Height: 5'7"

When I worked at a relay call center (assisting the deaf with phone calls) they had workstations where you could raise and lower them so you don't have to sit all the time. If I could have one of those and at least use muscles standing (you know, balance and all) I'd be happy. But alas, the state doesn't like to pay for stuff like that and they're usually ugly.

Last edited by XLMuffnTop; 10-26-2012 at 01:06 PM.
XLMuffnTop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2012, 04:51 PM   #10  

Height: 5'10

Sounds great! Keep us posted
brethan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2012, 03:25 AM   #11  
Heading Downtown...

It's great to hear all the things that everyone is doing here... I know that something like this probably really isn't an option for a lot of people, so I'm considering myself pretty fortunate... but for people that have to be in front of a computer all day I really hope that companies will at least start to offer options like this... even just being able to use the standing workstations made I difference for me (we've had those where I worked for several years now, thankfully)

So far I've been able to do about 3 miles without really noticing and by keeping the speed pretty low I'm able to type OK (although thankfully no one is looking over my shoulder to keep track of WPM speed, lol...)

I have had a few people say to me that they didn't really see the point, since I wasn't getting a "real" workout, and while that might be true to some extent... just not having to sit all the time when I'm in front of a computer seems to be making a big difference for me...