Thread: crossfit
View Single Post
Old 10-24-2012, 08:12 PM   #7
TheMeIwant2be

Height: 5'7"

I started doing Crossfit in April and I love it. I am doing the beginner training program, I have asthma and diabetes (+diabetic neuropathy) and I'm in my late forties. It's going to take time for me to get to the level of fitness and weight loss I'd like. I am so much better now than I was when I started. I haven't lost much weight because I haven't truly been focused on it but now, I'm feeling so empowered, I know I can win this weight loss battle.

I've turned into one of those people that always goes on and on about Crossfit. I'll tell anybody who'll listen all about the crazy WOD's, kipping pull-ups and box jumps. I have signed up to do my first 5k this Sunday with a bunch of folks. I had never really run very much before, I kinda hated it. We've been training for this race along with our regular workouts and I can't believe how far we've all come. I'm really starting to enjoy running and I've been training on my off days with the couch 25k app. I've had the app for years but I've never made it past week three until now.

I just gotta tell you about today's WOD. When I arrived, the earlier class was deep into it. As I parked I saw one of my buds run around the building holding a barbell on her shoulders. Before I got out of the car, she was on her second round, dripping sweat. I thought it looked like medieval torture,
when I got inside and onto the field, I saw the rest of what they were doing which was rope climbs (like in gym class) and thrusters (squat and overhead press combined). All of this done in multiple reps and three rounds for time. I did it in the beginner class with lighter weights and a scaled rope climb (I can't do one, yet). Three 200 meter runs with a ten pound weight, three sets of 12 thrusters, and 3 sets of 6 scaled rope climbs 15:55!! The earlier class did it in much shorter times with heavier weights, but that's what I love about Crossfit, it can work for everyone.

I would suggest that if you're thinking about doing it, you should go try it. Be forewarned, it is crazy hard and will push you. It will be unpleasant at the time of doing, but you'll feel great afterwards, until the soreness hits the next day.

TheMeIwant2be is offline   Reply With Quote