Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 10-24-2012, 02:23 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 190/173/135

Height: 5' 3"

Question Weigh in at home or at gym?

I have always weighed in at the gym, but here lately it seems like the gym scale is off balance. I can weigh in 3 times in a row and get 3 different answers. I wonder if it is due to the amount of people who use it everyday. I have been thinking of buying a home scale and was wondering if there is a certain type that I should get. I didn't want to go too cheap and the scale be inaccurate but then I also didn't want to spend a large amount of money either.

Do you prefer to weigh in at home or at the gym? Also if you do weigh in at home, which scale has worked best for you or are they just as good as the next?

Thanks
SarahJane88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 02:30 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 210/173/128

Height: 5'0"

I am curious why do people weigh at the gym?
I would be horrified to see how much I weigh with clothes, sneakers and a ton of water in me!!
So to answer your question, I weigh first thing in the morning completely naked!!!

& I use a digital scale. I like to know exactly how much I weigh. I just go with the first number it says!

Last edited by FunSize; 10-24-2012 at 02:31 PM.
FunSize is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 02:45 PM   #3  
I Will Because I Can

S/C/G: 167/130

Height: 5'6

I would never dream of weighing in at the gym! Haha I weigh invest home before I eat or get dressed so it's as accurate as possible. I think unpaid about $35 for my scale at Target.
OhThePlaces is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 02:46 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 232/ticker/155

Height: 5'10"

I'm with FunSize. I don't dare use the scale at the gym. A lot of them are out of calibration; that's the reason you get crazy numbers. I was given a glass digital scale for Christmas one year. (My ex, who I'm still friends with, got it for me. And it wasn't one of those "take the hint" gifts, he and I are gadget freaks and it was the latest thing at the time. My girlfriends always side-eye me when I tell them that, but I was genuinely happy to get it. That, and I was super thin at the time. I don't know how I'd handle getting a scale as a gift in my current state LOL) Anyway, I don't remember the brand, I'll have to look at it when I get home, but you plug in all your info (gender, height, weight, age) and it'll give you your weight as well as BMI. I also use mine first thing, every morning before breakfast, wearing nothing but my underwear. I usually get on mine 2 or 3 times just to make sure the number is the same all 2 or 3 times. Sometimes if you step too hard or too soft, it'll give you a slightly different number. I think you can get a good one for around $50-60.
Lakilaulea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 02:49 PM   #5  
Sarah

S/C/G: 350/184/180

Height: 6'

I agree with funsize. Weigh yourself at home, first thing in the morning, naked. Its a good way to get an accurate idea of your progress

The gym scales are usually not digital, and being slightly off balence will cause different readings.

I use a health-o-meter scale. One that you put in your height and weight, and it'll keep track and show you how much you've lost, along with giving your body fat % and water weight I don't think it really matters what digital one you use though. Just stick with one
baker23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 02:57 PM   #6  
Heading Downtown...

S/C/G: 225/165/165

Height: 5'8"

I don't weigh in at the gym... I have a few different scales at home, so I don't feel the need to use one at a gym... Also at the gyms that I go to the scales are in the locker rooms and I see people do everything from weigh themselves in full workout gear wearing their sneakers holding a full water bottle to walking up to the scale in just a towel, letting it drop on the floor and weighing themselves completely buck naked.... I always think to myself, well OK then...

Who knows maybe I have issues... But sorry that's just not for me.... So I just stick to weighing at home...
TripSwitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 07:34 PM   #7  

S/C/G: size24W/size12/size10

Height: 5'5"

The fitness club I go to has high-tech scales. I only weigh at the gym when I want to know my body fat percentage (this scale is huge and it sends some type of laser/ray...something like that....through your body to measure your body fat as accurately as possible...you have to take off your shoes and socks because it's sent through your feet and up). As for my scale at home, I have a balance scale....the kind you used to see in the doctors office...where you have to move the lever until it balances out. I prefer this type of scale. It cost me about $200.
angieand2girls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 07:51 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 255/holding at 162/160

Height: 5'-7"

Naked at home, first thing in the morning. Naked at the gym just doesn't go over well.

I have a Taylor scale that cost about $45. It's digital and weighs in 2 tenths of a pound intervals. I believe it's accurate. All that matters is you weigh on the same scale - it will tell you what you lost accurately. If the starting weight is different from the gym or your doctor's office - oh well. Use the starting weight on your home scale and stay with it.

Lin
linJber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 09:09 PM   #9  
Krissy Missy

S/C/G: 181/see ticker/120

Height: 5'2"

I'm also with funsize - I weigh in daily at home on my own scale in the morning naked after using the bathroom.
Missy Krissy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 10:28 PM   #10  

Height: 5'9"

I am a wierdo I guess. I have two scales. One is a digital scale, and the other is a cheapo dial scale. The digital scale is my first weigh in of the morning. If I'm okay with that number, I usually stop there. But if I suspect even infinitesimally that the digital scale is wrong for whatever reason, I check the weight against the dial scale.

Sometimes I weigh on the dial scale first, and if I don't like what I see, I don't even begin to step on the digital one, because that's my "real" weight. The dial scale is just there for backup. Now that I have read this, I am off to make an appointment with a shrink, as it is obvious I have some sort of problem....
Brandis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2012, 12:44 AM   #11  
Embracing the suck

S/C/G: 300/234/abs

Height: 6'9"

I don't own a scale. Who cares how much you weigh?
JohnP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2012, 02:37 AM   #12  

S/C/G: SW:394/310/180

Height: 5'6"

I absolutely agree that it doesn't matter. The weight doesn't really matter, and where you weigh doesn't matter either.

I weigh at the gym and at home, and at my weekly TOPS meeting. Each one is a bit different, but I don't care, because it's not the single pounds I'm worried about, it's the trend.

When I weigh at the gym, I usually weigh in my swimming suit on the way to the pool. I happen to know that my swimming suit weighs almost exactly one pound (because I weighed it on my food scale AND in (and out of) my swimming suit on my home scale. I also happen to know that most of my outfits weigh 2 lbs (jeans add an extra pound) and my running shoes weigh about a pound too.

Yep, I use scales an awful lot for someone who believes the weight doesn't matter... but for me it's a game I play with myself (will my weight be lower, next time I'm on this particular scale), after all that's what really matters.

My TOPS group scale weighs me in clothes almost exactly what my scale at home does naked (which is nice and convenient). The gym scale is about 2 lbs heavier.

I don't care if anyone sees me weighing in the locker room. I'm fat, very fat, and if they can't tell that by looking, I certainly don't care if they see the actual "number." Not that I've ever seen anyone get close enough to even accidentally see the number, and I do usually move the weight back to zero as a courtesy (I've always heard that you're supposed to do this to reduce wear and tear on the scale springs, don't know if this is true or not).

I don't care what anyone else thinks about the "number" and I'll pretty much share it with anyone who wants to know (even if they're asking to be mean, I'll say the number and then say "what's your point, you couldn't tell I was fat by looking, what information did the number give you that you didn't already have?"

Though it's been years and years since anyone has asked my weight to be rude, though at the time, it was fun to see the person speechless when they expected me to be the one at a loss for words.
kaplods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2012, 08:29 AM   #13  

S/C/G: size24W/size12/size10

Height: 5'5"

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnP View Post
I don't own a scale. Who cares how much you weigh?
I'm coming to this realization...especially with having my weigh in's so far apart and realizing that I'm changing my body regardless of what the weight shows on the scale. If I never weighed again, I'd still be happy with what I'm seeing and how I'm feeling otherwise.
angieand2girls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2012, 09:00 AM   #14  

S/C/G: 232/ticker/155

Height: 5'10"

I still, at this point, very much care how much I weigh. I don't want to see any number that begins with a 2. Now, once I get below 170, I won't care so much. At that point it'll be more about my shape, endurance, strength, and what I look like in clothes. But right now I care very much about that number.

Oh, and I checked the brand of my scale last night. It's the Thinner scale.

Last edited by Lakilaulea; 10-25-2012 at 09:02 AM.
Lakilaulea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2012, 09:06 AM   #15  

S/C/G: 180.6/177.2/120

Height: 5'1"

I weigh in at home in the morning. I like weighing every day to hold myself accountable!
sailyn is offline   Reply With Quote