Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 10-20-2012, 02:25 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 230/ticker/150

Height: 5'8

Default Am I pushing too hard?

I ran a 12 minute mile yesterday, just to see if I could. And yes, I could. Today I decided to push myself a little bit more...10 minute mile (I have no idea how long/far I can run, I usually jogged at 4.5 mph for 30 minutes instead of trying short bursts, and even that was a year ago!) I made it 5 out of the 10 minutes. Okay, a 10 minute mile is not possible right now. But I know what to work towards.

After that I went on my usual weight lifting regime (sumo squats, lunges, romanian deadlift, lateral pulldown, tricep curl, assisted chin ups, jack knife crunches, and backwards crunches with a weight).

After that I went to change and catch the bus home. I was early for the bus so I decided to grab a drink at the university bus terminal (I admit to occassionally drinking a sugar free Rockstar after work outs if I'm feeling extra beat and need to get things done in the short term. I'm aware of the crash and take it in stride usually having done what I needed to do by then). To get to the convenience store at the terminal I had to zip down some steps and for the first time ever I experienced vertigo and my head was spinning while I was going down them, also my legs more "collapsed" than bent with each step down.

Anyway I got home, had a bowl of homemade soup with 1/4 package of ramen noodles and a tbsp of cream and now I feel fine.

Was it just too low sugar? Or am I setting myself up for an injury of some kind?
Katbot24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2012, 09:08 PM   #2  
Stephanie

S/C/G: 236/135-140/More Fit

Height: 5'6"

Hard to say for sure. Just really pay close attention to your body. From your description it sounds like maybe just a hard workout that took its toll. But of course I don't know for sure.
LockItUp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2012, 11:16 PM   #3  
Lifelong Alaskan!

S/C/G: 230/180/150

Height: 5'5"

sometimes i get vertigo after a particularly hard workout...sometimes it happens hours upon hours after the workout...i attribute it to not eating properly and/or needing to hydrate...although that's just me knowing my body and not a doctor's word on it

i also have gotten that "collapsing" feeling in my knee or ankle after a harder run...(i run intervals but still...hard ones lol) that usually goes away with proper rest

however if it's reoccurring or posing a danger (vertigo while driving for example) you may want it checked out....same for the leg feeling...ive worked out long enough now that i know the difference between "workout sore" and "omg injury sore" but if it's truly hurting, a doctor visit might help
alaskanlaughter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2012, 12:56 AM   #4  
Dedicated Yogi

S/C/G: 269/188/160

Height: 5'8 1/2 :)

sounds like what i do- how many calories are you eating? I believe I've seen from your earlier post that you're eating pretty low, like 1500-ish or so?

again, over exertion is what caused my binging issues but at a much lower weight.

a little tip- slow digesting carbs (only a 200-300 cals of them a day- ex. oatmeal, sweet potato, rice cakes).
stimkovs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 05:52 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 373/364/190

Height: 5'11

make sure you're getting enough to eat, and drinking enough. It's so easy to get dehydrated, especially when working that hard. Sip water during your workout. If you find you're getting this feeling more often, definetly check in with your doc to make sure there's not something more serious going on. Keep up the good work!
TPA sun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 12:08 PM   #6  
HW:232/SW:165

S/C/G: 215/211/165

Height: 5'6

Are you eating enough? and enough sugars? I've experience this in the past due to a low sugar intake. I don't think it's the exercise, but just to make sure, i'd recommend having something sugary (moderate) beforehand to boost your energy.
kymb92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2012, 04:58 PM   #7  

Height: 5'10

Listen to your body. If you can keep this up that's great. Take at least a day completely off though. For me it's Sunday
brethan is offline   Reply With Quote