Exercise! Love it or hate it, let's motivate each other to just DO IT!

Closed Thread

Old 09-11-2003, 10:56 AM   #1  

Default Tae Kwon Do

Oy! I must be crazy but I start Tae Kwon Do classes tonight.

My mom is paying for them and my daughter's instructor (also a good friend of mine and the owner of the school) is really encouraging.

But I'm still trying to imagine a 300 lb. woman doing Tae Kwon Do! It is almost enough to make me laugh at myself.

The good news is that I found a company that makes martial arts uniforms in larger sizes. The average uniform co. only makes them up to a size 7 or 8. The company I found makes them up to a size 15 (which fits up to almost 400 pounds and 6'8" tall).

So at least I'll have a gi. I'll look good while I'm falling on my tushie!
Old 09-13-2003, 01:36 AM   #2  
it's always something

Good luck with that! It sounds like fun! My nephew takes it, though I've never been to see him in action. I should go sometime.

Let us know how it goes!
Old 09-15-2003, 09:34 AM   #3  

My first class went really well! I wasn't even sore afterward. My instructor really worked me, but didn't push me too hard. I can't wait until Tuesday and my next class!

My gi arrived on Thursday and my mom and I took it up this weekend. I had to special order the gi, but at least I have one in my size!
Old 09-15-2003, 11:51 AM   #4  

Not crazy,,, but smart!!! It will not only provide you w/ personal protection, but also let you get great exercise at the same time. I have heard it provides discipline in many ares of life, helping w/ everything from eaing to work. I am putting together an exercise program as well, in order to be able to eat my favorite foods w/out guilt..LOL good luck to you though!
Old 09-15-2003, 01:26 PM   #5  
Student of the Hoof

I'm so glad your first class went well!! I admire you for taking that step, and just doing it. I was around 180 when I started, and I remember feeling SO out of place. But my instructor was wonderful, my kids loved the classes, and I found out I was actually really good at it. Well... till we started talking about getting airborne. I had tremendous difficulty with the flying kicks.

I know that I went nearly every night, and we worked for at least an hour solid, sometimes closer to two hours. Between the running, the stretching, the forms, and the practice and sparring, I was a sweaty mess at the end of every class. But it was fun!! I kind of miss it. I wish I could find another instructor I liked as much. But of course, now we're into the horseback riding, sooo... one thing at a time, I guess!

Keep us posted on your progress, I'm curious!!
Old 09-17-2003, 08:50 AM   #6  

Did my second class last night and it was awesome.

I'm taking it with my mom, my dad and my daughter. We're working on convincing my hubby to start too!

Our school has a lot of instructors so my mom, dad and I - who all have physical limitations due either to weight, age or injury - are all working with one instructor in a "semi-private" class. In some ways this means we don't feel pushed as hard and in other ways means we work harder (it's harder to slack off when the teacher only has 3 students! ).

I think what I'm enjoying most is that I'm exercising but it feels like playing. Unlike aerobics classes where I've always felt bored and annoyed at being there - at the Tae Kwon Do classes I have fun!
Closed Thread