Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 10-22-2012, 03:44 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 210/173/128

Height: 5'0"

Default Does your partner comment on your weight loss?

So I just realized today that my husband has had absolutely no comment on my weight loss over the last year.
After comparing my measurements today, I am kind of shocked! For five years my waist was 44" and today it's 33.75". I posted the rest of my measurements in another thread but.. I am thinking, how do you not notice over 10" lost in my waist alone?? Or maybe he does but he just doesn't want to say anything because he doesn't want me to think he had a problem with me when I was bigger?
So now it's kind of my new goal is to get my husband to say something! Anything! lol

How about you? Has your significant other commented on your weight loss?
FunSize is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 03:52 PM   #2  

S/C/G: HW:280 CW:? GW:150

Height: 5 foot 5

My hubby NEVER comments.
I asked him the other day if he could see any difference no matter how little and he gave me the deer in the headlights look. I don't expect him to tell me my butt is half the size it was, but I can notice my cheeks have a indent to them now (not a big one but it is there!) and other little things. I guessI know that I will notice things long before anyone else but shouldn't he notice since he looks at me everyday?
I know no matter how much weight I lose (or gain unfortunately) he will never comment one way or another. It is so annoying, lol.
tubolard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 03:55 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 223/130/126

Height: 5ft 5

My boyfriend regularly comments, but I do talk to him about my weightloss and he is in the loop with my progress (whether he likes it or not haha!)

I do think it is difficult for those closest to us to notice though, we see them too often!

Last edited by 1987; 10-22-2012 at 03:56 PM.
1987 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 03:56 PM   #4  
Angela

S/C/G: 155/138/126

Height: 5'6"

Mine does comment but he is very careful in choosing his words.
just in case if he accidentally say that I was fat.
masterptr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 03:57 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 145 / 102 / ?

Height: 5'

All the time, in a really nice way. Although that's a fraught area, so I can see where a husband might tread carefully!! :-p
HungryHungryHippo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 03:58 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 292/144/145

Height: 5'10"

This is a total no win for husbands. Depending on our mood, the time of the month, and whether he forgot to take the trash out, a simple comment from a husband made with the best of intentions, will be met by either a smile and a thank you, a cold stare which is sign for "how big a moron are you?", or tears because this clearly means that he didn't like the way we looked before.

Why in the world would the average man even enter this minefield?
Robin41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 03:58 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 145 / 102 / ?

Height: 5'

BTW, FunSize, congrats on your weight loss! 10" is amazing!!
HungryHungryHippo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 04:00 PM   #8  
Leveling Up

S/C/G: 200+/115/115

Height: 5'3"

My fiancé didn't comment until the very end or unless I brought it up. I think he's a smart man
sontaikle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 04:03 PM   #9  
drifting downward!

S/C/G: (HW 194) 175/168/140

Height: 5'5 1/2"

He does, and I love him for it, but he definitely treads with caution. In general I say very, very little about my dieting; he knows I am, and that I'm losing, but I haven't entirely gotten over my younger, immature hang-ups about discussing my plans frankly.

What's nice for me is that his compliments seem to come at the most unexpected times -- when *I* think I can notice a big difference and when *he* notices never seem to sync up. So he might say something about how small my stomach is getting when we're cuddled up, and I appreciate it but inwardly think, "The scale hasn't moved in two frickin' months!" It ends up working well because he unwittingly keeps providing me something to feel good about when I'm not internally providing my own positive feedback. I think it's entirely coincidence - not that he's reading my behavior differently. I haven't been able to decide if he notices changes before I do, or if there's a lag time in his perception - either way, works out nicely most of the time.

Last edited by Desiderata; 10-22-2012 at 04:05 PM. Reason: for the life of me I can never type an emoticon shortcut correctly
Desiderata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 04:04 PM   #10  

S/C/G: 210/173/128

Height: 5'0"

Quote:
Originally Posted by sontaikle View Post
My fiancé didn't comment until the very end or unless I brought it up. I think he's a smart man
Maybe you are right!!! Maybe my hubby is smart, too....

Even when I was at my heaviest he said NOTHING!!!
FunSize is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 04:05 PM   #11  
Stephanie

S/C/G: 236/135-140/More Fit

Congratulations on your loss! That's amazing.

My husband does comment, but I've included him in my day to day updates of weight and inches lost; and I outright ask him how I look sometimes. He does compliment me unprovoked more often now than several months back. If I left it up to him to notice without any updates at all, I probably wouldn't get tons of comments, and that's because I've made sure to traumatize him in the past by twisting his innocent words into some perceived insult on my part. Poor guy.
LockItUp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 04:34 PM   #12  
Dependapotomaus, no more!

S/C/G: 259/168/145

Height: 5'4

Yes. He is a constant source of encouragement. He started his weight loss/fitness journey about 2 years before I did so he's been through a lot of the same things and I value his opinion.
Lambiechop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 05:16 PM   #13  

S/C/G: See tracker :3

Height: 5'5

I think a lot of men are terrified to offend a lady about her weight
Boyfriend called me pleasantly plump when I was at my heaviest. I cried for an hour. That's when I joined this forum actually.
Since then, he comments when he puts a hand on my hip or hugs me, just things like "Wow- your body changes like every time I look at you!" Which is sweet.

But, I talk his ear off about weight loss so he probably feels like it's pretty safe.
DandelionCupcakes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 05:19 PM   #14  

My DH is perfect... if I am getting a little thinner then he'll say something and if I start to get a little bigger, he'll say nothing.
kelleyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 05:27 PM   #15  
Foodie For Life

S/C/G: 192/ticker/140

I had to ask my bf the other day if he had even noticed... He just said "youve always been beautiful." Smart man. Its hard for them to notice when we're with them all the time. And I would rather hear a simple compliment than to hear how much weight I seem to have lost. He met me when I was about 25lbs lighter than I am now. So he obviously noticed how "thick" I was at my heighest... But he never said a word. I love that man!
NolaMama is offline   Reply With Quote