Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 10-19-2012, 07:56 PM   #1  
Keeping Steady

S/C/G: 231/169/169 lb (104/77/77 kg)

Height: 6' 0" (1.82 m)

Default Unexpected NSNV's (Non-Scale Non-Victories)

I'd be the first to say that I love the Non-Scale Victories thread. I always share in the joy that everyone posts in there, and it's something that keeps me motivated when thing are feeling difficult. But as I've lost weight, I've come to find that some things are issues that I wouldn't have expected. And I though that this might be a good place to just vent about small annoyances that have come along the way.

(If this thread is inappropriate, please delete it. I don't mean it to be, but I am aware that it might be too negative for the forum.)

Anyway, one of the things that has been bothering me lately is that I feel bony. There are bones everywhere now. The hip bones now get to me when I sleep on my side, and that's been uncomfortable from time to time. Also, I read a lot at my desk, and I always put my left elbow on the surface with my hand resting against my clavicle and before that was nice and comfy and now it's not. I'm sure I'll get used to this over time, but it's getting to me.

Also, and this is one that I should have thought about but that I didn't is that I need to buy new clothes, but I don't have enough money to do so. So I feel that I look ridiculous at times, especially when I'm wearing a suit. I know that this will pass with time, but right now I feel like a kid wearing his father's clothes and that no one will take me seriously. (Although nothing of the sort has actually happened.)
ControlW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2012, 08:34 PM   #2  
Shrinking Chick

S/C/G: 288/ticker/160

Height: 5'8"

Oh, I hear ya on the bony thing. I'm about ready to double up on yoga mats.

And my favorite pendant chain is now too long - it hangs too low in a lot of my shirts.
Riddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2012, 08:26 AM   #3  
Dedicated Yogi

S/C/G: 269/188/160

Height: 5'8 1/2 :)

yup- the good ol'bones. there's the +/-ive side of that. a) you will get used to it. b) - i now have to sleep with a teddy bear, because my arm is too bony to be put in the same position i used to sleep with. UGH.

also- ALWAYS BEING COLD. ALWAYS being cold.
i am the human icicle.
stimkovs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2012, 09:23 AM   #4  

S/C/G: 195/145/145

Height: 5'11"

Quote:
Originally Posted by stimkovs View Post
also- ALWAYS BEING COLD. ALWAYS being cold.
Hey fellow Torontonian. The always-cold thing is normal and expected when you're losing weight. Contrary to what some people think, the phenomenon has little to do with how much insulation (i.e., fat) you have on your body; it's about your metabolic rate, which goes down when you're eating at a deficit. Once you reach goal and bump up your calories to maintenance level, you should stop feeling cold within a couple of months.

F.
freelancemomma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2012, 09:27 AM   #5  

S/C/G: 217/ticker/115

Height: 5'0"

The boney-ness drives me a bit batty too. Sitting for too long (like on the plane) hurts my tail bone...as does riding my bike.

But my biggest weight loss non victory would have to be my knee surgery. Thanks to losing weight (and inherited bad knees...that definitely had more to do with it than anything) and becoming more intense with my physical activity, I destroyed my right knee in June and had surgery in early July. My prize for finishing my weight loss and hitting maintenance mode...knee surgery.
dogdaysofdiets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2012, 01:21 PM   #6  

S/C/G: size24W/size12/size10

Height: 5'5"

Quote:
Originally Posted by freelancemomma View Post
Hey fellow Torontonian. The always-cold thing is normal and expected when you're losing weight. Contrary to what some people think, the phenomenon has little to do with how much insulation (i.e., fat) you have on your body; it's about your metabolic rate, which goes down when you're eating at a deficit. Once you reach goal and bump up your calories to maintenance level, you should stop feeling cold within a couple of months.

F.
Aaaah....interesting. Thanks for sharing that!
angieand2girls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 01:17 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 350/296/125

Height: 177cm

Quote:

F.
Thanks for sharing this info! Super helpful! I thought I was going to be cold permanently but now I've got something to look forward to when I'm thin and maintaining. I will be thin, maintaining, AND warm! Hurrah! Seriously, this has really given me a boost. I had no idea.
Skellig19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 02:34 PM   #8  
Krissy Missy

S/C/G: 181/see ticker/120

Height: 5'2"

First of all - congratulations on reaching your goal! And secondly, it's ok to gripe now and then, we all do it. Give yourself time to adjust to your "new" body.
Missy Krissy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 02:38 PM   #9  
Dedicated Yogi

S/C/G: 269/188/160

Height: 5'8 1/2 :)

Quote:

F.
Thanks! I am hoping that it goes away, eventually. It's been several years, but I do notice that when I eat a little more, I am a little less cold!
stimkovs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 04:44 PM   #10  

S/C/G: 145 / 102 / ?

Height: 5'

Ha ha ha--it's funny--there are little negatives, too! I discovered, the hard way, that I can't clasp things (like a cell phone) between my thighs any more! And there's this thing called The Thumper that I used to LOVE on my back. I got my husband to do it this w/e, and ended up with thumper-sized bruises!
HungryHungryHippo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 06:40 PM   #11  
Overweight again...dang

S/C/G: 213/160.3/135

Height: 5'5"

Too funny! I don't mind the bonyness yet, but I'm not experiencing a down side to more bones (yet?).

I think the clothing thing is the biggest annoyance for me. Between my son growing and needing new clothes (adult sized, no less), and me shrinking and needing smaller clothes, we're going to be in the poor house! I love Goodwill and thrift stores, but I can't always find what I need there or I don't have the time to really look. Cha-ching!

Last edited by twinieten; 10-22-2012 at 06:40 PM.
twinieten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 10:11 PM   #12  
Shrinking Chick

S/C/G: 288/ticker/160

Oh yeah, the cold thing. I used to be the always-hot chick at work, now I'm shivering with all the other girls. I have a wool sweater and fingerless gloves in my drawer, along with a big ziplock of tea bags.

I hope it gets better next year!
Riddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 10:48 PM   #13  

S/C/G: 331/164/164

I was wondering why I have all of a sudden found it to be cold all the time. Last summer, even with the A/C at 72, I was always hot.

This summer, in the middle of Texas, the heat barely registered with me. At work, I was constantly cold. My office heater was turned way up to the point where others thought my office was stifling. And 72 degrees in my house caused me to shiver.

During my unfortunate 2 1/2 week falling off the wagon, I was getting hot flashes (I hope it's not menopause). I have a feeling thou, the if I continue to stay on plan, I will start getting cold again.
KittyKatFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 12:26 PM   #14  
Am I there yet?

S/C/G: 198/152/maintaining

Height: 5'7"

I've found that I can't lay on my side with my legs together because my knee bones touching kind of irritates me. Harder to sit unless it's on a cushy chair. And I'm right there with the elbow thing. I never, ever thought that those things would be a problem. The buying clothes thing is runner up but now that I'm so close to goal, it looks like I will stay at size 8 so that should be ending soon. It's amazing how much easier it is to find clothes now.
StephMar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 12:50 PM   #15  

S/C/G: 138/136/110s

I don't know about you guys, but the more weight I lose, the harder it gets to shave my knees!! A small sacrifice, to be sure..
mottainai is offline   Reply With Quote