Old 10-17-2012, 01:31 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 237/229/160

Height: 5'3

Question Help with vegetables?

Hi everyone!

I'm new to the forum, as well as MRC (I'm in week 2 of my 6 week program).

I did really well the first week and lost 5.5 lbs...but I've run into a little problem.

Actually, it's the same problem I always have. I can't STAND vegetables.

Seriously, out of all the veggies listed on the "over 200" menu, I like 2 of them.

I'm not sure if I can take another month (tbh - much longer) of cucumbers and green beans.

Now, I'm not opposed to trying different vegetables at this point. So far I've tried kale and snow peas .

Anyone have any ideas on how to make this work? My favorite foods are the starches, particularly potatoes and corn....oh how I miss potatoes and corn...lol.

Any help would be appreciated!

Thanks!
Jess
JBrink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 03:00 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 222/(see ticker)/155

Height: 5'3"

Hi Jess!
My husband is the same way. He's got a few veggies he likes and sticks with them. My best advice is to disguise them with seasoning and allowed dressings. This helps him a lot. Surprisingly one of his fav's is raw spinach which I can't stand.

I like most veggies but struggle to eat them anyway. Sometimes I just don't want a big pile of broccoli, ya know?

But I did discover that roasting broccoli, cauliflower and asparagus is very yummy. I modified the recipes I found to make them on program.

On my menu, I can still have a small amount of potatoes and corn, like 2 oz I think. Not sure what yours says about that.
meazie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 11:00 PM   #3  

I drink the super fruit and veggie when I just can't stand anymore veggies. But, I have found that dipping raw vegetables helps me eat more. I dip in either the Waldon Farm Honey Dijon dressing or I mix greek yogurt with dry ranch seasoning and use it as a dip
JodiH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 08:55 AM   #4  

Girl ... let me introduce you to the best kept secret!!!!

Spaghetti squash ! It has been a diet savor for sure! I LOVE LOVE LOVE IT and you can do it so many different way! I just made it last night with low fat cheese and tomatoes .. I also made it last week with mushrooms and shrimp and garlic .. The options are endless what you can use with it .. just like pasta except a veggie! I also add zucchini and yellow squash as well for some extra flavors. SO YUM!
cassie143 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 09:29 AM   #5  

S/C/G: 232/ticker/155

Height: 5'10"

Have you tried sugar snap peas? I usually eat some as a snack; I accidentally bought snow peas once (they look pretty much the same) and tossed the bag rather than finish it, I hated it that much.

I'm a vegetarian and I HATE vegetables, how's that?? LOL

I do like the small sweet peppers (the small red, yellow, and orange ones you can buy by the bag). I usually eat them raw either dipped in a low fat dressing or with a stick of pepperjack cheese. I also drink a lot of V8 now.
Lakilaulea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 01:06 PM   #6  
Sherry, Senior Member

S/C/G: 194/172/158

Height: 5'-7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lakilaulea View Post
Have you tried sugar snap peas? I usually eat some as a snack; I accidentally bought snow peas once (they look pretty much the same) and tossed the bag rather than finish it, I hated it that much.

I'm a vegetarian and I HATE vegetables, how's that?? LOL

I do like the small sweet peppers (the small red, yellow, and orange ones you can buy by the bag). I usually eat them raw either dipped in a low fat dressing or with a stick of pepperjack cheese. I also drink a lot of V8 now.
My center told me i could only eat green peppers and to stay away from the red orange and yellow? HMMM
skelley331 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 01:36 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 232/ticker/155

Height: 5'10"

Quote:
Originally Posted by skelley331 View Post
My center told me i could only eat green peppers and to stay away from the red orange and yellow? HMMM
Aaww, man, I hope I'm not being steered wrong... I'll go ask...
Lakilaulea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 09:27 PM   #8  
Sherry, Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lakilaulea View Post
Aaww, man, I hope I'm not being steered wrong... I'll go ask...
Yes ask your center because i'm told every center is independent and does things different
Old 10-20-2012, 09:25 PM   #9  

I was also told not to eat the red peppers, only green. Same with onions. But, I want to know how you cook the spaghetti squash. I tried to find some this week end, but couldn't find any. I have heard it is great to fix it kinda like regular spaghetti.
JodiH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2012, 09:49 PM   #10  
Sherry, Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JodiH View Post
I was also told not to eat the red peppers, only green. Same with onions. But, I want to know how you cook the spaghetti squash. I tried to find some this week end, but couldn't find any. I have heard it is great to fix it kinda like regular spaghetti.
Our walmart carries squash, i haven't tried it yet but my sister has and she said it's really good, i would just google it, i know there are receipes in the mrc cookbook for it.
Old 10-21-2012, 11:19 AM   #11  
I can do this!

S/C/G: 242.5/137.5/145

Quote:
Originally Posted by JodiH View Post
I poked mine with a knife and then microwaved it for 6 to 8 minutes and then let stand fora couple minutes but you could youtube it I'm sure. I'm not sure if it is better made in the oven or the microwave, does anybody know? The reason I did the microwave is because my squash was so hard I couldn't cut it in half to put it in the oven. Once it's done being microwaved remove the pulp and seeds from the middle and then take a fork to scrape it into spaghetti strands. What other things can you put onto or into spaghetti squash? I put on tomatoes garlic olive oil salt and pepper and it wasn't too bad. The mushroom and shrimp and garlic idea sounds good. Any other suggestions?
dkdaisybutters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2012, 08:31 PM   #12  

Height: 5'6

I put a little sea salt and pepper on mine, spray pam on a cookie sheet, and bake at 375 for about 30 minutes face down. I then take it out of the oven and scrape all the faux spaghetti strands out. It's yummy and very versatile. You can add some veggies with it on top of the stove, some chicken or other protein, and some braggs amino and voila you have a stir fry with faux spaghetti noodles.

Last edited by healthylady123; 10-21-2012 at 08:31 PM.
healthylady123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2012, 09:04 PM   #13  

S/C/G: 171.4/162.2/145

Height: 5'5"

Quote:
Originally Posted by skelley331 View Post
my doc says I can have any of the peppers...red is my favorite-- it really tastes like candy to me!
½ cup chopped red Bell pepper: 3 grams effective (net) carbohydrate plus 1.5 grams fiber and 23 calories
½ cup sliced red Bell pepper: 2 grams effective (net) carbohydrate plus 1 gram fiber and 14 calories
1 medium red Bell pepper (about 2¾" long and 2½" or about 4¼ oz.): 5 grams effective (net) carbohydrate plus 2 grams fiber and 37 calories
beachgal777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 02:11 PM   #14  

S/C/G: 237/229/160

Thank you guys for all the idea's! I'll see if I can find a place that carries spaghetti squash around here!

Lakilaulea- snow peas are awwwwwful! I tried some the other day and tossed the bag too! And congrats on being a vegetarian that hates veggies...lol I think that takes great courage!
JBrink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 10:27 AM   #15  

S/C/G: 189/179/130

Height: 5' 3"

Quote:
Originally Posted by cassie143 View Post
Girl ... let me introduce you to the best kept secret!!!!

Spaghetti squash ! It has been a diet savor for sure! I LOVE LOVE LOVE IT and you can do it so many different way! I just made it last night with low fat cheese and tomatoes .. I also made it last week with mushrooms and shrimp and garlic .. The options are endless what you can use with it .. just like pasta except a veggie! I also add zucchini and yellow squash as well for some extra flavors. SO YUM!
I'll have to try the spaghetti squash. I happen to LOVE veggies, though. I just need a quick and easy way to get the food on the plate. My cooking skills suck. This has helped me to learn to cook lean and mean!
carolannincolumbusga is offline   Reply With Quote