Old 10-16-2012, 01:36 PM   #1  
*Embrace Power*

S/C/G: 332/279.8/195

Height: 5'5

Default 30 Day Shred, love it, hate it, worth it?

I have been wanting to try something new into my regular routine and I have been hearing a lot about the 30 Day Shred from Jillian Michaels. I want to know about personal experiences, if you have done it, whether you completed it or not what your feelings on the program are. I saw it was pretty cheap to buy and from reading a little about it, it definitely sounds like something I might like.

So, can anyone share with me your thoughts, experiences, tips, etc?

Thank you in advance!
Pink Hurricane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 01:18 PM   #2  
*Embrace Power*

bump!
Old 10-17-2012, 01:35 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 232/ticker/155

Height: 5'10"

You know, I got it a few months ago after I heard a lot about it. I put in my DVD player, probably made it halfway through the first level first session, then stopped. It was too much for me, at the time, at least. I couldn't keep up and immediately knew I wouldn't be able to do it for 30 days straight. I ended up taking it out and putting it somewhere. A couple weeks ago, I meant to try it out again since I seem to be a lot more determined this time around to make an effort, but I cannot for the life me find it now.

One of my girlfriends actually made it through the 30 days and she liked it. Didn't see too much of a difference weight wise, though. I kinda wanted to start again, but I remember hating it the first time around. But I think if I can make it through that I'd feel a lot better about tackling the Insanity videos I've been seeing a lot.
Lakilaulea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 07:20 PM   #4  
Mini Goal 1- 199

S/C/G: 275/201.3/160

Height: 5'7

I love(d) 30 Day Shred! That was my first fitness video after Walk Away the Pounds and it kicked my butt into shape. I was eating right and all and I think that had more to do with the weight that I lost during that period but it certainly made me stronger and aerobically fitter. I got into running after doing a couple of cycles of 30DS, I really rate it for building fitness. I've done several cycles of it during my journey (although not recently) and it's a pretty good workout that covers all the bases.
toastedsmoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2012, 03:49 PM   #5  
How does this thing work?

S/C/G: 250/221/150

Height: 5' 5"

I've attempted it twice. It's just too much for me right now. I decided to order Jillian's Frontside / Backside for Beginners. Do that for 4 or 5 weeks, and then move on to 30 Day Shred.
Amany is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2012, 04:22 PM   #6  

I found my 30DS. My cat had knocked it off the shelf behind the tv. I think I'll attempt it again either this or next week.
Old 10-24-2012, 01:51 PM   #7  
*Embrace Power*

Well I took what everyone said and gave it a shot this morning. It was a lot more challenging than what I was expecting but it seemed like the time flew by, before I knew it the workout was over. I have felt really good all day too, but I completed Day 1. I plan to complete it for sure, and hoping to be able to do every repetition by the end of the first 10 days.
Old 10-24-2012, 02:17 PM   #8  
Maintaining since 2013

S/C/G: Sz 20/Sz 8/Maintain

Height: 5'11

I know a lot of people that lost tons of weight from 30 Day shred. I attempted to do it about 3 times but I never continued longer than 3 days. However, now I know I don't personally care for "boot camp" style workouts so it's not for me.
SunnySide99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 02:26 PM   #9  

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunnySide99 View Post
I know a lot of people that lost tons of weight from 30 Day shred. I attempted to do it about 3 times but I never continued longer than 3 days. However, now I know I don't personally care for "boot camp" style workouts so it's not for me.
Bootcamp style workouts work great for me... If I'm actually at bootcamp. I lost an enormous amount of weight when I went to Basic Training and didn't even realize it. Going through it with other people makes all the difference. That camaraderie really pushes you. Doing it alone in my living room while my dog stares at me like I'm having a seizure is not fun at all. I don't have the same drive. Maybe I need to reenlist LOL
Old 10-24-2012, 02:42 PM   #10  
*Embrace Power*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lakilaulea View Post
Bootcamp style workouts work great for me... If I'm actually at bootcamp. I lost an enormous amount of weight when I went to Basic Training and didn't even realize it. Going through it with other people makes all the difference. That camaraderie really pushes you. Doing it alone in my living room while my dog stares at me like I'm having a seizure is not fun at all. I don't have the same drive. Maybe I need to reenlist LOL
Hahahaha to the bold What branch were you? I agree I do a lot better with bootcamp style, I need that drive to keep going. I think that's why I always have a harder time with stuff like Yoga. I appreciate what it does for my body but I have a lot harder of a time pushing through something like that, so calmly, even though I know it burns a lot.
Old 10-24-2012, 02:55 PM   #11  
Maintaining since 2013

S/C/G: Sz 20/Sz 8/Maintain

Height: 5'11

That's the best thing about trying different workouts...you learn what you like and what you don't like. If I would have learned that "boot camp" dvd's didn't work for me I probably would have started my weight loss journey years ago. I kept buying boot camp style workouts which ended up on my bookshelf after a week never to be used again. LOL! Oh well, you live and learn!
SunnySide99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 03:01 PM   #12  

I was in the Air Force (funny story; I chose that branch because I thought it would be the easiest to get through ) I went in at 173lbs. (my max weight limit) and came out 6 weeks later at 145lbs. It was awesome. It was like the greatest fat camp, and I got paid to do it! I didn't have to think about anything; they told me when and what to eat and when and what to exercise. I still remember being outside with 50 other girls and 50 guys getting yelled at "Up!! Down!! Up!! Down!!" while we did sit ups/push ups/lunges/whatever. Having 99 other kids suffering just like you really makes you wanna push through it. Before Basic, I NEVER ran. I couldn't. By the time I was done, I was running 2 miles in 16 minutes. I seriously should've kept it up. But I never stopped eating like a big girl. So when all that was done, I went right on back to eating one large pizza in a sitting and wondered how I packed on 60lbs. in 6 months.
Old 11-12-2012, 12:23 AM   #13  

S/C/G: 220/ticker/140

Height: 5'6"

I really like the 30 day shred. Though I don't use it by itself, I alternate it with other workout DVD's, zumba and the elliptical. It definitely pushes me and I like that boot camp style.
racrane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 01:12 AM   #14  

S/C/G: 162/129/120

Height: 5'6''... and a half

I loved 30 Day Shred, it definitely did some shredding I finished all 30 days in 30 days, 10 days per level. I'm doing Insanity now, and I'm pretty sure if I hadn't done 30 Day Shred I wouldn't be able to get through the Insanity workouts. But as someone else mentioned, it's not a huge weight losing workout, but the inches come off quite quickly, I lost about 10 inches and 8 pounds, which is quite a bit for my weight (I think)... I also celebrated Thanksgiving and Halloween in that time period, which probably slowed my progress slightly.
EricAnn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 12:00 AM   #15  
Warrior Princess

Best DVD I have ever owned. I lost a ton of inches! Also, you don't have to do it in 30 days. Start with level one and progress when you're ready. It is hard but if you stick with it you'll be amazed at your new endurance.
novangel is offline   Reply With Quote