Does it Work? Unsure if the latest product or service lives up to it's claims? From popular products to the latest scams, discuss it here before you buy!

Old 10-16-2012, 08:10 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 265/205/140

Height: 5'8"

Default Dr. Oz "Approved" Crash Diet

I was wondering if anyone has tried this with any success. It's supposed to be a 7 day crash diet to jump start metabolism. The claims are that you can lose up to 24 lbs, but it seems like the average is about 10.

I started it today. I didn't have work, though, so I work up late and ended up having breakfast closer to lunch time. Then I had more like a snack for lunch, and now I'm eating a dinner. The stir-fry recipe that's supposed to be for one person is actually a huge portion.

If anyone has tried this, please let me know!
kurbain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 08:18 AM   #2  
it's always something

I saw that episode! I wouldn't call it a crash diet, but then I'm not searching for keywords for ratings purposes Dr. Fuhrman's Eat to Live diet has been popular for a long time. You'll find some discussion about it in our Vegetarian forum that might be helpful!

I wouldn't count on that much weight loss, though. I just listened to the episode and he did say a new dieter could lose up to 10 pounds but he also said that most of that would be water. I think that like most diets, most dieters will lose 2 or 3 pounds a week. Most people drop a lot of water during the first week of any diet, as they transition to healthier food. In his book, Fuhrman actually says dieters can often lose up to 20 pounds in 6 weeks. That's a big difference from the claim in Women's World magazine, but WW is known to make extreme claims to sell magazines.

The full version is a very healthy diet, especially if you can pick up a copy of Eat to Live and follow the full program. Good luck!
Suzanne 3FC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 08:37 AM   #3  
a work in progress

S/C/G: see ticker

Height: 5'6 1/2

id be leery of anything that said "crash diet" in it. its basically impossible to lose 10 lbs in a week, youd have to create a 35,000 calorie deficit. im guessing its mostly a water weight thing as well.
juliastl27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 09:18 AM   #4  

S/C/G: 252/see ticker/199

Height: 5'7"

Admittedly I haven't checked out the plan but I'm not a fan of Oz, his show or... well, I won't go there. The fact that a magazine cover with him on it stated "24 lbs in a week" made me literally laugh out loud. I pointed it out to my husband and he thought it was humorous as well.

Those that don't know better will just think they can do it for 4 weeks and omigosh! Lose 100 lbs! Ah... advertising.
XLMuffnTop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 09:56 AM   #5  
Wastin' Away Again!

S/C/G: 192/170/130

Height: 5'3" 50 years old

Hmmm..... well, anything that says "Crash" in it generally gets the thumbs down from me. I don't like to "crash" anything. Don't like to crash my car, don't like to crash my body.

JMPO.
Beach Patrol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 10:27 AM   #6  

When I started on my medically supervised very low calorie diet I lost 10 lbs in one week. I literally lost a lb or more every day. Of course some of that was just water, glycogen, but I think that is valuable. Over the next few weeks I lost 3 lbs per week. That 3500 calories number has been proven not to be accurate. See http://www.nytimes.com/2011/09/20/he...anted=all&_r=0

So we simply don't know what happens.

Of course, it is likely not actual fat that you are burning but there is no way to know for sure what is happening. I suspect that the sudden and complete loss of glycogen - jump started my body into burning fat. This was the first diet I ever went on that saw me have such amazing results.

Make sure you get a solid vitamin and do your best to get nutrients.

FYI as I was medically monitored.. at my first tests I expected to see some problem... but nothing happened at all. All of my tests came back in the normal range... I was amazed. Someone once told me that the number one thing your body needs nutrients for is digestion.. and if you eat less you need less nutrients. That seemed to be the case for me.

What did move... my fasting blood sugar. Pre diet blood test, 95. 6 weeks in... 75 (and it is now between 75 and 80) what does that do to your ability to burn fat? I am thinking it jump starts it.
AnnRue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 01:48 PM   #7  
Embracing the suck

S/C/G: 300/234/abs

Height: 6'9"

Any diet that promises to speed up your metabolism is full of crap.

The only way to speed up your metabolism is to use drugs and they all have unpleasant side effects.
JohnP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 08:22 PM   #8  

Thanks everyone. I definitely do not expect the 24 lbs claimed in the article, because I know that is crap. I'm hoping for maybe 4. Lol. I have serious issues with sticking to a diet for more than like a week, though. I'm just looking for something that will be filling enough and have enough variety to where I won't get bored. I have a trip overseas coming up the first week of November - I'm hoping to get under 200 by then.
Old 10-17-2012, 11:28 PM   #9  
Embracing the suck

S/C/G: 300/234/abs

Height: 6'9"

Quote:
Originally Posted by kurbain View Post
Thanks everyone. I definitely do not expect the 24 lbs claimed in the article, because I know that is crap. I'm hoping for maybe 4. Lol. I have serious issues with sticking to a diet for more than like a week, though. I'm just looking for something that will be filling enough and have enough variety to where I won't get bored.
Calorie counting ... eat what you want so long as it is within your budget.
JohnP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 06:53 AM   #10  

Also to note - I'm actually doing this combined with tracking weight watchers points. Tracking isn't my issue, especially with all of the apps out there. My problem is sticking with it. I was hoping this would be a motivation if it did work so I'd want to stick with the diet. I never get past like 2 whole weeks.