Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 10-12-2012, 04:39 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 257/160/135

Height: 5'5

Default How to maintain momentum when you unintentionally lose weight

I just got back from a trip to Africa and probably lost about 20 lbs since there is no fast food there.

I am a little worried that I will unintentionally slip back into the fast paced life style, how do I maintain my new healthy habits?
BlackBarbieKiss125 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 05:15 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 330/see ticker/180

Height: 5'5

Congrats on the weight loss!! It is suppose to take 21 days to form a habit (so I am told) So your body has gotten used to a healthier lifestyle. You would have to intentionally retrain it to do otherwise. Preperation is key. If you have a fast pace life then you may have to plan ahead. Ex, plan your meals a week ahead. Cook food in bulk (like chicken breasts)

You will have to try to emulate the "lifestyle" that you are accustomed to. Grocery shop,plan meals and cook your own food. If you do eat fast food then you will have to decide what is a healthy choice for you.

I would say that you are ahead fo the game when it comes to weight loss. You know what works for you and you have conditioned your body to agree.

Last edited by RoyalAthena; 10-12-2012 at 05:17 AM.
RoyalAthena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 06:21 AM   #3  
Mens sana in corpore sano

S/C/G: 165/121/120ish

Height: 5'2 (157 cm)

Don't buy fast food stuff, so that you won't be tempted, and keep to the healthier routine you've been following these past weeks?
Also, odds are that your body will help you, by not standing junk food as much as it used to.
Kery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 10:21 AM   #4  
Embracing the suck

S/C/G: 300/234/abs

Height: 6'9"

You maintain it one day at a time and you PLAN AHEAD so you don't find yourself starving and in the drive through of Sonic.
JohnP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 10:39 AM   #5  

S/C/G: 252/see ticker/199

Height: 5'7"

"Unintentional weight loss" does not compute.

You've gotten a taste (pun intended) of life without fast food and all the yuckiness we busy people tend to live and kill ourselves on. Try to make some basic food components on the weekend that can be thrown into a salad, sandwich, tupperware whatever to take with you.

I'm a huge fan of soup for lunch at work. It's hot and filling and gives me a warm fuzzy feeling even if it's only 60 calories a cup or something. I also keep laughing cow cheese, hummus and Wasa Light crackers for snacks. Sometimes I'm not quite hungry but I feel the need to eat. One of those crackers and a cheese wedge for maybe 70 calories can satisfy that need without running to the vending machine.

After avoiding fast food, it may make you sick. Remember that when you're eyeballing the burger and fries. My husband isn't actively trying to be healthy but he gets it by proxy. He had fast food a week or two ago after a few weeks without and was literally sick the whole next day and was completely lethargic.
XLMuffnTop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 10:18 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 145 / 102 / ?

Height: 5'

Congratulations!! Everything about that sounds fantastic!!
HungryHungryHippo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 11:11 PM   #7  

S/C/G: SW:394/310/180

Height: 5'6"

I started my current weight loss journey with "unintentional weight loss."

I spent most of my life trying to lose weight and only ultimately gaining (because I would "give up" when the weight loss stopped). I eventually gave up on dieting and was relieved to at least stop gaining.

When I was treated for sleep apnea with meds and a cpap machine, my pulmonologist told me I'd likely lose some weight without trying (and I thought he was nuts, I'd never lost so much as a single pound without intense effort).

As it turned out, I lost 20 lbs without any effort over the course of about six months. I was shocked, and terrified. The 20 lbs gave me hope that I could lose more, but I was afraid to "diet" in order to do it, because dieting had always failed in the past.

I decided that I might not be able to lose more, but I should be able to keep off the 20 lbs, and that became my mission to "not gain." I started adding healthy habits that I was willing to commit to without the expectation of weight loss (so if the weight didn't come off, I wouldn't be tempted to give up the healthy habit).

In the past, when the weight loss slowed or stalled, so did my motivation to keep up the healthy habits. "This time," I told myself that I wasn't doing this for weight loss, I was doing this to improve my health, strength, stamina, and well-being, and I KNEW that the healthy habits were doing that whether or not weight loss resulted. Taking weight loss off the table, actually allowed me to (eventually) lose more weight.

Even now, I celebrate "not gaining" far more than I do even weight loss. I've made my first priority my commitment to health and fitness (function-based, not weight-based) and "not gaining" is a close second (I'd even say they're tied). Weight loss is actually a distant third (lately not so distant as the healthier I get, the more impatient I get with my progress. I want to do more, faster - but I always have to remind myself not to fall into the trap of getting discouraged by progress's pace).

You succeed by making success a priority, however you define it, though I think when it comes to weight loss we often set ourselves up for failure, by defining success in a way that makes the goal unobtainable. And when we define success in such a way that it cannot be acheived, the common sense strategy is to give up.

If we can't succeed at something, often the best strategy is to find something else to succeed at. If we defined weight loss success less stringently, I think fewer people would give up.

We tend to expect perfection and rapid progress, and anything less is seen as the person being "not ready" for weight loss. It's as if we decided that a child wasn't "ready" to play the piano if he or she couldn't play a Mozart concerto the first time he or she sat at the keyboard.

If you believe in an "addiction" model, you can argue that this analogy is invalid, and that you wouldn't expect a heroine addict to succeed by gradually weaning off heroine (but many addiction experts would argue even this. Some people have more success with gradual weaning from an addictive substance and others do best going cold-turkey).

With weight loss, only "cold-turkey" is often seen as the only legitimate alternative. Gradual weight loss isn't given much attention, legitimacy, or reward. If you can't do it rapidly, you're weak and unmotivated (lazy, crazy, and stupid).

For me, gradual change has been amazing - in many ways feeling nearly effortless to the point I can truly say I've never been tempted to "quit" because there's nothing to quit. I just keep making positive changes in my life, and keep getting rewarded for it, so I keep making more. The rewards aren't always weight loss, but they're always something tangible in terms of health and fitness measures... being able to do more, seeing lab results improve, having less pain.... when I only focused on weight loss, I was discouraged when weight loss slowed. Now that I focus on more benefits, I have more rewards to keep be going, even when the weight loss slows - as it always does.

I truly believe that weight loss statistics are so dismal, because we've been taught to use strategies that are demotivating, rather than motivating. It's not surprising to me that so many weight loss attempts fail, it's surprising to me how many succeed, and I think if we changed the WAY we lost weight (especially the messages we tell ourselves as we do), success would be much easier and much more common.
kaplods is offline   Reply With Quote