Old 07-14-2012, 10:59 PM   #1  

Default Is this normal?

Today marked Day 3 for me on Medifast. I just had to peek at the scale because I was feeling so down about myself and I couldn't believe what I saw.
It said that I was down 15 lbs. Is this possible? I weighed at the same time of day, in the same clothes, etc...
I'm wondering if it has to do with how much weight I have to lose.
I'm 5'5' with a starting weight of 368 lbs.
Is this all "water weight"? Should I not get excited about this?
JediBryne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2012, 12:08 AM   #2  
Shrinking Chick

S/C/G: 288/ticker/160

Height: 5'8"

Hi JediBryne,

Nope, not normal. But given your starting weight, definitely possible. It IS mostly water weight - see the sticky at the top of the page on ketosis. Long story short, you lose lots the first 2 weeks because when you cut carbs, your body first burns up the stored glycogen in your liver. Glycogen gets stored with water, so burning the glycogen releases the water. After the glycogen is gone, THEN you start to burn fat.

You'll probably have a good second week too, then settle into a pattern of less loss each week. But you will probably lose more in a week than I ever did - I'd guess you'd be in the 2-3 pound a week range for a while.

Good luck - you can do it!
Riddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2012, 01:07 PM   #3  

rememer, sometimes on the third week your wt will stay the same for a week to readjust to you losing, but trust me, you will lose on MF.. I lost over 160 lbs and have kept it off for 6 years...GREAT program.. and did you know they are coming out with new products today, well, they are being annouced but available next week....one is suppose to be ceral, the other a mocha ready to drink shake... not sure about the others
kayhamil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2012, 10:14 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 298/293/160

Height: 5'8"

Normal or not celebrate your success! I'm on day 6 of MF. I hope to have an "abnormal" weight loss like you on Monday!
suntantoes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 07:58 PM   #5  

Hey congrats! 15 douwn is great no matter how it's lost.... I was the same way when i first started. I lost 16 lb's the first week, then 7, and then settled into a good routine of 4 lb's per week. I'm in week 7 and have lost 45 lb's so far. Not including that first week, i'm averaging about 4 lb's per week.
That first week is always fun because your body burns a bunch of carb's which releases a bunch of water which drops weight quickly. Not to mention that the average person can have 5-7 lb's food that is somewhere in the body being processed. Most of this gets expelled as well.
One of the things I enjoy most is the "light" feeling I have....not bloated or full all the time. In this diet, long term ketosis is the name of the game. Think marathon, not a series of sprints, and you'll drop it quick. Seriously, 4 lb's a week is really great. That's 12-16 lb's per month.....that's anywhere between 144-192 lbs in one year!
Think marathon! You can do anything for 6 months. There will be tons of Thanksgivings and birthdays. Sacrifice just one. It's worth it.
gringogigante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 08:29 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 278/see ticker/124

Height: 5'2

Quote:
Originally Posted by suntantoes View Post
Normal or not celebrate your success! I'm on day 6 of MF. I hope to have an "abnormal" weight loss like you on Monday!
I agree with your comments and she should celebrate!

Fatness is offline   Reply With Quote