Weight Loss Surgery If you've had it, or are considering it, share your discussions here

Old 10-04-2012, 01:12 PM   #1  
Bonnie

S/C/G: 307.5/237.5/160

Default I dont know what way to go!!!

Hi My is Bonnie and I went to my Gyn Dr and she talked to me about going and getting like a lypo and then a tummy tuck done on my stomach. She told me that even if I had a gastric bypass done I wouldnt loose the weight in my stomach. So I am kinda confused. She told me they could take off up to 50 pounds on my stomach. This is a scary thing and I would like to know from people who have had this stuff done on what they think or have experienced with it all.
Butterfly50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 04:48 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 160:(/see ticker/125

Height: 5'4

She wants you to have that done before losing weight??
CIELOARGE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 04:56 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 278/see ticker/124

Height: 5'2

Quote:
Originally Posted by CIELOARGE View Post
She wants you to have that done before losing weight??
I was thinking the same thing!

@ topic creator!; I feel you should lose your weight first and then go from there! I'm thinking about getting a tummy tuck or laser Liposuction once I lose the weight. However, I am not going to do it now because I am no where near my goal. I know how you feel about the belly fat. I want mines gone also; but you should weight at least until you get in the 200 and then go from there

Fatness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 05:00 PM   #4  

I've never had any procedures done personally, but from the endless research I've done, it's my understanding that you shouldn't get things like lipo or tummy tucks done until after you're much closer to your ideal weight.
thinkfit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 05:12 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 160:(/see ticker/125

Height: 5'4

I still don't understand how she knows that you won't lose the weight on the belly area... Yes, you might end up with a "pouch" but you are defenetely not going to carry 50lbs around you tummy once you lose weight.
CIELOARGE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 06:04 PM   #6  
Bonnie

S/C/G: 307.5/237.5/160

Thats what I thought. I didnt understand how jest cause I lost 25 pounds that it put me in a place to have this done. I need to loose a good 100+ pounds so I dont think that this would be good until I can loose alot more weight. She told me if I loose a good 110 pounds I will not of touched the weight on my stomach witch I dont understand cause I only weigh 274. Makes no sense to me either.

Now I could say that I will work out eat right and try to lose weight until I feel it is the right time for this. I jest didnt understand how she could ask me to do something like this with very little weight gone.
Butterfly50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 05:24 PM   #7  

S/C/G: (324/238/175) New 310/310/200

Height: 5'5"

Did she want to refer you to a specific cosmetic surgeon? Sometimes I think doctors refer patients to other doctors for other reasons than the health of the patient.

The really important thing to remember is lipo and tummy tucks don't do any permanent good until you get your food choices lined up with what's good for your body. And the same with gastric surgery. I got a lap band in 2008 and gained most of the weight back because I started making my same stupid choices again. Started losing again, but only because of serious revision of my food intake and thinking about food.

You might consider finding another doctor.
merryterry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 06:33 AM   #8  

Height: 5'8.5"

Interesting as I just had a talk with my surgeon yesterday about surgery for stomach removal and breast reduction. He agreed I should wait until I reach my body weight - and even explained how to determine when that is. Do it before that and it is all just going to sag and drop again as you continue to lose weight. I'm waiting as yes, I want it, but I also want it done RIGHT and to last.
Misti in Seattle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2012, 11:02 AM   #9  

S/C/G: 302/268/200

Height: 5'7"

What everyone else has stated. I had the sleeve done on Nov 6th. At every meeting it was stated that you should not have a tummy tuck or panniculectomy. until your weight is stable for at least 6months. Yes you will have excess skin and some fat deposits but I cannot fathom why the doctor would suggest lipo and tummy tuck before weightloss. taking off 50pounds at once is quite a shock to the body..I think I would talk to her again to clarify or get a second opinion..
sueBhoney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 05:24 PM   #10  

S/C/G: 348/185/170

Height: 5.10/177cm

I have heard of cases they had to do tummy tuck to make patients more mobile. But those cases were extreme. If your stomach isn't in the way then i don't see why would she suggested that? Here you can get skin removal surgery after you reach your normal BMI and then keep it for a year..and only then they do the surgery.
Sleepy is offline   Reply With Quote