Living Maintenance general maintenance topics and discussions

Old 10-01-2012, 05:05 AM   #1  
Super Moderator

S/C/G: 239/173/165

Height: 5'9"

Default Maintainers Weekly Chat October 1 - October 7

It rained lightly all day until . . . time came to light the grill after our guests had arrived. Then the sun came out and the rain stopped until much later when the grilling was done when it returned. It felt like Camelot.

We spent the evening looking at their pictures of Alaska. I've always wanted to tour Alaska - even more so now.
BillBlueEyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 05:45 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 152/???/132/33

Height: 5'4"

Good morning. Just got some good news - finally a phone # for the head doctor on my father's "team". And some bad news - roofers are coming to the dog sit. I finally got the dog calmed down - took 2 1/2 days - and now she's going to be going crazy. And no parking.

bill Your BBQ sounds like something out of a movie!

Happy Monday!

Dagmar
Mudpie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 07:00 AM   #3  
Maintainer Wannabe

S/C/G: 161/143/135

Height: 5'7"

Good morning. We are on our second day of rain here. I need to get one of those little raincoats for the dog. She doesn't actually mind being outside in the rain; it's just when she comes back in all wet ...
WardHog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 07:52 AM   #4  
Recovering Pantry Pest

S/C/G: 174.5/162/149

Height: 5'7"

Good morning and "happy" Monday! I am a complete and utter trainwreck from climbing around in my attic this weekend - had to use many muscles that haven't seen the light of day for at least a year and a half. I'm so sore it's actually funny. Well, it would be funny except that I didn't sleep very well. However, the insulation is handled and the solatube has been reinstalled over the hall bathroom. I picked up the flooring, I have the primer and the ceiling paint ... and now I just need to wait until I can get my arms over my head again.
ICUwishing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 08:40 AM   #5  
Girl Gone Strong

S/C/G: (H)247/(C)159/(Goal)142-138

Height: 5'3"

We had a brief but heavy downpour yesterday. I hadn't realize it was threatening to rain but thought the sun was setting awfully early and went around turning all the lamps on in my living room. I was squinting at an 1840s printed Family Register, with that spidery faint brown 19th century handwriting in it, trying to type the names and dates into an email. See, I bought this thing at an antique show last year, before the flood, then Googled the names out of idle curiosity, and ended up in touch with a family descendent who really wanted all that information. Then the flood happened. The register fortunately was at a framing shop and so it was okay. Yesterday, finally, after a year, I finally got around to trying to read the writing and give the info to the family descendent.

I feel like the weekend got by me and that I didn't fully take advantage of it and do some things that I should have done.

And I'm still puzzling over "The Master," which I saw on Friday night. Great performances, but the story is a bit ragged at the edges.
saef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 09:14 AM   #6  
slow and steady

S/C/G: 185/see signature/135

Good morning! I am sore from my yoga class on Saturday. I think this just goes to show I've been slacking on my workouts too much.

No other news to report here.
paperclippy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 09:24 AM   #7  

S/C/G: 173/in progress/140ish

Height: 5'8"

Bill~I recommend a trip to Alaska! It is beautiful. Take a Holland America cruise (you won't be disappointed) and afterward, do the train to Denali. I believe it is offered through Holland America. I've heard wonderful things about the train ride although I have not done it myself. But the cruise will take you to some beautiful places all the while staying in a luxurious hotel.

No rain here. Lots of sun and hot, just glad the humidity has left (probably for good).

As for turning on lamps in the afternoon: our house has huge windows. Well, really sliding glass doors. On the north side of the house, in the living room, kitchen and family room, we do not have any window coverings. We don't feel the need as it opens to the very private back yard. You'd have to be on the roofs behind us to look in and what are they going see? Us cooking, reading or watching TV. So yesterday we're at the neighbor's for the meet & greet of a guy running for city council. The neighbors have shutters on ALL their windows. It was 4 PM, super sunny, and yet their home was dark. The shutters were open, but they let in so little light. People kept going around and turning on lights. What a waste of energy IMO.

The Master is one movie I've thought about seeing--but it seems so "out there." We went to see the Perks of Being a Wallflower. It was nothing like what I expected (underlying theme of sexual abusespoiler--don't look at this if you don't want the spoiler) but it was quite good.
alinnell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 10:13 AM   #8  

S/C/G: 204/114/120

Height: 5'

Friends, October is Breast Cancer Awareness month. JCPenney is giving free haircuts to breast cancer patients in chemo and I believe survivors as well.Free haircuts and styling throughout month of October,in addition for each free haircut they will be donating to Breast Cancer research up to $50,000. Pass the word around to friend and relatives that qualify.
I plan to get my haircut, I am just looking for a JCP with a salon.
bargoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 10:22 AM   #9  

S/C/G: 178/134/125

Height: 5'6"

No rain here. In fact, it was 99 yesterday, and forecast is for 102 today. Later in the week the temp is supposed to drop drastically. It was amazingly hot in hot yoga-- I actually had to sit down for a few minutes as I got so dizzy I thought I might pass out. The instructor was trying to regulate the temp but having issues-- so rather than 106-108, it was 107-111-- and a few degrees make a huge difference!

Dh and I went to a movie this weekend too-- which is rare for us-- so a real treat-- we saw Looper and quite enjoyed it. I had vouchers for the movie and a gift card for dinner, so we went out "free" which as nice as we are really trying not to spend money-- 2 girls in college, hot water heater repairs, etc. are killing us! Dh has to repair water damage now to our downstairs bathroom where the hot water heater leaked and the water seeped through.

Dh and I slept in this weekend which makes all the difference in the world. Rather than get up at 5, we got up at 6:30 Saturday and 7:00 Sunday. Luxurious for us!!

Thanks for the info Bargoo-- I'll pass it along. Enjoy your haircut.
traveling michele is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 12:30 PM   #10  
Chuggin' along...

Morning all,

No rain here yet, though we're supposed to get some later today and tonight. I've been enjoying the fall weather despite it meaning I'm getting into the worst of my allergies. I woke up at 6:20 from a pretty normal night's sleep and felt drunk or hungover, of which I was neither. I had 2.5 extra hours to burn from last week so I texted my boss I'd be late, slept in a bit more until I felt better, and took the dog for a walk. It was rather strange but I hope nothing else is going on.

Last week I slipped off my clean eating train a bit. Strange work hours and a lot to do, TOM, I've got a zillion excuses. I am getting back on the train today. I've been going to the gym and walking the dog a lot, which is good.

Dagmar, glad Lucy is keeping you smiling. Great that DH is also coming with you to back you up on visits to your Dad. It's great to have that support.

Allison, I love natural light too. My old office had one 6" tall window about 8 feet up the wall. What? I love my big window in my new office.

Bill, your grilling sounds lovely. It's nice when the weather cooperates.

Ward, I keep an old towel directly next to the door for just such occasions. Luckily my dog seems to enjoy being toweled off, even if she does try to turn it into a game of tug of war.

Bargoo, I wish I had someone to pass that info to but my gran is gone. I'll tell our local "Calendar Girls" though. Have you seen the movie Calendar Girls? These older ladies raise money by posing nude for a calendar with strategically placed items. A group of local ladies, most of whom are breast cancer survivors, did the same. They bought a mammography machine for our local hospital with the profits. Now they are on year two, and with the profits are paying for mammographies for women who can't afford them/don't have health insurance, which is a big number in our county. What a great idea for an important cause!

Have a good week everyone.

Last edited by Megan1982; 10-01-2012 at 12:36 PM.
Megan1982 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 01:09 PM   #11  
Workin' It

Megan - your local "Calendar Girls" are awesome.
Shannon in ATL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 05:11 PM   #12  

S/C/G: 261/158/below 160

Height: 5'8" (Dang, I shrank an inch!)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bargoo View Post
Friends, October is Breast Cancer Awareness month. JCPenney is giving free haircuts to breast cancer patients in chemo and I believe survivors as well.Free haircuts and styling throughout month of October,in addition for each free haircut they will be donating to Breast Cancer research up to $50,000. Pass the word around to friend and relatives that qualify.
I plan to get my haircut, I am just looking for a JCP with a salon.
Thanks for the tip. I called our local JCP to see if they had a salon and asked if the free cut is for survivors, too, and it is. Now it will be interesting to hear what they say when my DH calls for a free appointment. People still don't realize that men can get breast cancer, too. But he can lift up his shirt and show his mastectomy scar--or he can just show the paperwork from the cancer center.
Sheila53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 05:18 PM   #13  

S/C/G: 204/114/120

Height: 5'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheila53 View Post
Thanks for the tip. I called our local JCP to see if they had a salon and asked if the free cut is for survivors, too, and it is. Now it will be interesting to hear what they say when my DH calls for a free appointment. People still don't realize that men can get breast cancer, too. But he can lift up his shirt and show his mastectomy scar--or he can just show the paperwork from the cancer center.
They didn't say it was just for women, I wondered about that, too. I think they should honor him as long as he has proof. It is a good educational lesson.
bargoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 07:32 PM   #14  

S/C/G: 195/145/145

Height: 5'11"

Went to the cottage -- alone -- for the third weekend in a row. I wanted to get away from the "madding crowd" and get some writing done. Mission accomplished. I closed the place for the winter. I'm gonna miss it!

F.
freelancemomma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 05:28 AM   #15  

S/C/G: 152/???/132/33

Quote:
Originally Posted by freelancemomma View Post
Went to the cottage -- alone -- for the third weekend in a row. I wanted to get away from the "madding crowd" and get some writing done. Mission accomplished. I closed the place for the winter. I'm gonna miss it!

F.
It's nice to have a "private" place where you can retreat from the world.

Dagmar
Mudpie is offline   Reply With Quote