Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 09-26-2012, 08:55 AM   #1  

Default Food snobs

Everyone knows I've joined a biggest loser competition, including my cousin who has lost 2/3 of her body weight. Last night, my boyfriend cooked us dinner and I wanted to brag on him because be rarely cooks and it was good. I posted on my FB that Jim made us burgers for dinner, and my cousin left a message saying "Omg! I hope they were worth it."

I don't count every calorie that goes into my mouth. At the same time, I don't sit down and stuff my face like a pig at every meal, so I don't think this was any big set back, ya know? I just don't understand why she would post something like that everytime someone eats something not WW approved.
tnc0712 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 09:37 AM   #2  
Low Carb

S/C/G: 225/ ticker /135

Height: 5' 2"

Red face

why isnt it WW approved ? it's a burger as long as you stay within your points what's the issue ? some people hmmmmfffff

maybe jealous cause he cooked for you ?

1spunkygal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 09:46 AM   #3  
Calorie Counter

S/C/G: 195/195/170

Height: 5'3"

I eat hamburgers on a regular basis. A grilled hamburger patty is under 200 calories. If you add a bun it is like 320 calories. If you have the points or calories left, there is nothing wrong with eating this.
I think so many people have the opinion when your dieting if its not green and leafy you cannot eat it. Not true.
NEMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 10:09 AM   #4  

What really bothers me about this is my cousin constantly posting about her runs to Starbucks or her R44 Sonic drinks or her constant energy drink abuse. Don't food snob me if you're not making great choices yourself. And I would say that this burger was under 300 calories total. It was tinnnnny.
tnc0712 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 10:25 AM   #5  
Starting again

S/C/G: 289/ticker/128

Height: 5'4"

I had a burger for dinner last night and it fit perfectly in my plan. I also paired it with a giant salad and I didn't feel like I needed to eat a second burger. Don't let her get to you. Sounds like you have a more realistic plan than she does and that's the key to sticking to it.
shishkeberry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 10:29 AM   #6  
Stephanie

S/C/G: 236/135-140/More Fit

Height: 5'6"

I'd just write it off, sounds like she has some issues. The bad thing about making it known you are losing weight is that people then feel they have the right to comment on your food, exercise, and body. Doesn't make it right, but it is the reality of it. People have this idea of what a healthy diet is and that something like a burger is evil food to make you fat. Obviously that isn't true, but that is THEIR issue, try not to let it bother you one bit
LockItUp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 11:02 AM   #7  

S/C/G: 289/274/147

Height: 5'7"

When I think of "food snob," I think of someone who has an attitude about food quality - OMG, hamburger! Gross! I only eat grass fed free range! OMG, commercially prepared buns! Disgusting! I only eat home made or artisan organic bread rolls!

Your cousin just sounds like a run of the mill busy body.

I suggest you start posting, "OMG, I hope it was worth it" after every Starbucks and Sonic run (alternatively, "OMG, thanks for sharing! That's so INTERESTING.") but then...I can be a pot-stirrer.

Keep doing what works for YOU.
98DaysOfSummer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 11:03 AM   #8  

S/C/G: 198/161/127 (started 03/2012)

Height: 5'1"

I agree with Stephanie, it's HER issue. My MIL is that way. I generally DO and always have eaten relatively healthy, to her POV I'm always "dieting" because no matter what I've always eaten a lot of salads especially and not with iceburg. She has an obsession with her weight and smokes and does not eat anything but cereal for the most part to control her weight (she's absolutely gaunt and her doctor has told her to gain 15-20 pounds), but instead she focuses on my hamburger with a salad with her tsk tsking. But I've always known it's her and not me so meh whatever.

Now on another note I do NOT understand why people drink away their gains. I have so many overweight relatives who drink probably more calories in a day than I EAT IN A TWO DAY PERIOD. It's also $$$ cash wise.
SerenityDiva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 11:11 AM   #9  
Warrior Princess

Unless you're very close to her I'd customize my status updates to be hidden from her. That comment would rub me the wrong way and I would wonder what other aspect of my life she's judging. Who needs that?
novangel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 11:23 AM   #10  
One with the Wind and Sky

S/C/G: 360/246/150

Height: 5' 8"

Quote:
Originally Posted by tnc0712 View Post
"Omg! I hope they were worth it."
I'd say, "LOL yes! "

I have burgers and pizza several times a week and I'm still losing. There aren't any evil foods out there that will make you gain the moment you take a bite; if you can eat something in moderation it's fine. It's all a matter of knowing portion sizes and finding a healthy balance.

Some people apparently have to project their skewed logic onto others in order to feel important, and it's probably best to just ignore her.
Elladorine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 11:40 AM   #11  

S/C/G: 292/144/145

Height: 5'10"

I've always felt that if you publicize your attempts to lose weight, then you invite a lot of looks and comments that you'd rather not hear. Nobody has a real grasp of what your plan is except you, so when you rave about a small burger that might fit perfectly within your plan, many people are thinking you just downed a bacon cheeseburger with a side of ranch. This is especially true when if you're anything like me, you've made several attempts and people see your burger post as just evidence of another failed attempt.

When you share a lot, you're going to get a lot of reactions, some of which you won't like.
Robin41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 02:57 PM   #12  

S/C/G: 163/141/135

Height: 5'2

I would just reply "It was" and go on about my day.

There will always be critics, you're eating too much, too little, etc... As long as what you're doing is working for you, who cares what others think.
DisappearingActs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 04:49 PM   #13  
a work in progress

S/C/G: see ticker

Height: 5'6 1/2

Quote:
Originally Posted by LockItUp View Post
I'd just write it off, sounds like she has some issues. The bad thing about making it known you are losing weight is that people then feel they have the right to comment on your food, exercise, and body.
UGH! this is SOOO true! ever since i started trying to lose i have people saying everything from "you're starving yourself" (my boyfriend) to "are you sure you're allowed to eat that?" (my mom). im so sick of unsolicited advice!
juliastl27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2012, 06:21 PM   #14  

I would just say "Yep, it fits right in with my food plan, thank you very much!"
kelleyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2012, 06:25 PM   #15  
Low Carb

S/C/G: 225/ ticker /135

Height: 5' 2"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robin41 View Post
I've always felt that if you publicize your attempts to lose weight, then you invite a lot of looks and comments that you'd rather not hear.

When you share a lot, you're going to get a lot of reactions, some of which you won't like.

This is why I don't tell people @ my job the WORST thing you can do is get in my plate. I will surely give you a BLAST you do not want
1spunkygal is offline   Reply With Quote