Old 09-19-2012, 10:58 AM   #1  
Just call me Dana

S/C/G: 185/177/135

Height: 5'7"

Default Intro to Yoga videos?

I'm interested in learning yoga, but live in a small rural community without any yoga classes. Can anyone recommend some good videos for a complete yoga newbie? I really need the basics of form, breathing, etc. Thanks!
FirstLove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2012, 11:15 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 198/161/127 (started 03/2012)

Height: 5'1"

What kind of yoga are you interested in? Like flow, vinyasa type stuff? Kundalini?

I like Max Strom's stuff for learning, but Jill Miller has a whole at home series that REALLY focuses on form (it's like $20 a month or something), Zyrka Landwijt has some great stuff, if you're more athletic Ease into Ashtanga is good, for Kundalini I like Mantra Girl's stuff, Seane Corn's older Vinyasa Flow Series is great, Barbara Benagh's Yoga for Stress Relief has some good practices as well, and I've read Yoga Zone has some great practices.

You could go to TotalFitnessDVDs dot come or CollageVideo dot com and take a look at stuff there. I don't really like Yoga Journal's practices, but their online videos are okay at showing form. There are also some online subscription sites that allow a free trial basis like YogaVibes and YogaGlo. I'm not generally a fan of Gaiam's new stuff, but they also have some great things available.

Good luck!
SerenityDiva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2012, 03:12 PM   #3  
Just call me Dana

Wow, Serenity, thanks for the great info! I really appreciate it. When I get home from work, I'll look into all the instructors & links you posted.

BTW, I'd eventually like to practice Ashtanga, but I'm extremely out of shape & inflexible right now. So I want to learn the basics and progress as I get stronger & more flexible. Vinyasa also sounds like a good fit. I know yoga can be a very spiritual practice, but I'm already in a good place there. I'm really more interested in an energizing/uplifting total body workout.

Thanks again!
Old 09-19-2012, 03:29 PM   #4  

Oh I think Zyrka might be a way to go! She has a Gentle Practice, the next one as far as difficulty is Gentle Vinyasa Flow, and then Yoga Flow. I think Total Fitness has all of them and/or clips, but you can probably do an internet search and/or check Amazon and stuff as her voice is very soft and some don't like it. I find her soothing and you could start off slow and yet get into something more difficult as you go.
Old 09-19-2012, 05:31 PM   #5  
Just call me Dana

That sounds perfect. Thanks so much for your help.
Old 09-20-2012, 11:14 AM   #6  

You're welcome. I hope you find your "perfect" match
Old 09-24-2012, 04:08 PM   #7  

The first yoga dvds I clicked with were from Yoga Zone, and Sara Ivanhoe's "Candlelight Yoga" dvd.

Sherry
suzie76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 04:21 PM   #8  
On a weight loss journey

Height: 5'2"

I can't post links yet but if you go to youtube and search for HolmTV, she has several full length workouts that go from level 101 (beginner) to level 301.
NothingButChanges is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012, 11:00 PM   #9  
Shrinking Chick

S/C/G: 288/ticker/160

Height: 5'8"

I really like Namaste Yoga. It was a show on FitTV - each episode is 22 minutes. You can buy 1/2 seasons (6 or 7) episodes or whole seasons (13 shows) on Amazon. I think the 1/2 seasons are around $25, and full season abour $50. They're gentle, but increase in difficulty as the season progresses. I can literally do it and hop right in bed. I've fallen in love with yoga class, but I still think these are great for days when I'm time starved. I'm trying to build a daily exercise habit, and I can fit in 22 minutes almost any day.

Here's a link - http://www.amazon.com/Namaste-Yoga-C...xgy_mov_text_y
Riddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 09:53 AM   #10  

S/C/G: 179/ticker/135

Rodney Yee is the absolute best! He is calming, fluid, gives excellent cues and is not hard to look at. Especially like his A.M series - 5 workouts about 20-25 minutes each. Very easy to fit in to your schedule.
kris2008 is offline   Reply With Quote