Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 09-23-2012, 10:29 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 150/148/125

Height: 5'8

Default Just so frustrated...

Hi everyone! This is one of my first posts.

More of my story is in the intro section, but I can't post links yet.

But the gist of it is, despite extremely healthy eating and daily exercise, I have not lost more than two pounds since May 1st. I'm currently around 148 lbs. To say that it is frustrating is an understatement. I did a 14-day cleanse where I ate very little and only got down to 146 lbs. Don't worry, I know cleanses are silly but I was trying to get rid of the toxins from my trip to India (described in my intro post)

Since I am only 21 and I was 120 pounds (I'm 5'8 1/2 with a small frame) in January with ease (healthy eating, very similar to now but less strict, same amount exercise, but not obsessive), I just do not understand.

I do an hour long Bar Method (barre type class with weights, isometric exercises, etc.) six days a week and walk at least five miles per day (I wear a fitbit to check this).

My daily menu is as follows. I basically do a low carb diet with little dairy (I don't eat yogurt and try to avoid milk) and little gluten.
B: 1 egg + 2 egg whites with 1/8 cup low fat cheese; 1 packet weight control cinnamon oatmeal with 1 tbsp chia seeds/ 1 tbsp psyllium husk
WORKOUT - bar method class
Snack (sometimes): scoop of Jay Robb protein powder in water
L: Romaine with 4 oz. water-packed tuna, tomatoes, cucumbers, 1/8 avocado, 1 tbsp sunflower seeds, 1/2 oz. feta cheese, 1 tbsp low fat honey mustard, lemon juice
Snack (sometimes): Kind Bar (only the low sugar varieties) or Quest protein bar
WORKOUT 2 - either walk home from work (I live in NYC) or go to the gym and do HIIT on an incline walker/running for 30-45 minutes
D: always 5 oz. lean protein (fish or chicken), broccolli, cauliflower, or green beans, and a salad with homemade vinaigrette

Seems pretty healthy right? I try to eat 1500 cals or less a day and burn at least 2500 according to my fitbit, so I should be losing 2 lbs a week.

I've had my thyroid tested, and while I did have blastocytosis (parasites) I've been on some heavy drugs (anti-biotics, anti-protozoals) which I believe have killed it. On Friday, I'm having a CT Scan of my full abdominals and pelvis to make sure nothing else is wrong, since I have a lot of trouble with going to the restroom and feel tired and weak most of the time.

I just don't know what else it could be and I'm just so sick of not losing any weight. I hate myself and the way I look. I have absolutely no confidence and don't want to go out or see people who knew me when I was thin for fear that they will talk about my weight gain and think that I'm not working hard. I was thin with less effort than this and I just want to be that way again. I used to be on Prozac but it basically stopped working so I just went on Welbutrin with hopes that not only will it make me less hateful of myself but also help me lose weight.

I'm not sure why I'm posting this, I'm just so frustrated and need people to talk to it about. I'm pretty sure at this point that it is a health problem, and not my fault, but it doesn't stop me from blaming myself and hating my body and how I look and feel. I just don't know what it could be...

To anyone who reads all this, thank you
cbheart16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2012, 11:24 PM   #2  
Krissy Missy

S/C/G: 181/see ticker/120

Height: 5'2"

Don't beat yourself up! Right now you're well within the "normal" range as far as BMI goes, but if you're unhappy about your weight and are trying to drop a few extra pounds, maybe you aren't getting enough calories? It sounds like you work out quite a bit, you might not be eatting enough food and your body might be trying to retain whatever it can. Just a thought. I'm glad you're getting yourself checked out by your doctor, have you explained to him/her your daily routine? Good luck!
Missy Krissy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 12:05 AM   #3  
Battling pcos daily

S/C/G: 235/195/135

Height: 5'5"

Default I understand

I definitely understand where you are coming from!! Your story is similar to mine actually. I agree though with the above comment that maybe, with as much as you are working out, you might need more calories. Have you tried calorie cycling? Have you tried switching up your exercise routine? Just some thoughts.

I was at my goal weight in 2009 and have slowly put on roughly 45 lbs. April of this year I decided to get a YMCA pass and start eating healthy again. Since April, I have managed to GAIN a pound and also gained inches!!! All while maintaining a 1300-1500 cal low carb diet and 1.5 hrs of exercise 6 days a week, and tues and Fridays it's actually 2.5 hrs. No thyroid, adrenal, or metabolic issues according to all my blood work ...

So I'm in the same boat!! I feel your pain. So sorry you are struggling. Just keep at it though.... Some good must come out of all our hard work, right?
Clmiller0782 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 12:37 AM   #4  

S/C/G: 163/141/135

Height: 5'2

Since you're doing a lower carb plan, have you tried the fat fast? I've never done it, but I've heard other low carbers and they say it's supposed to bust you out of a stall. Keep at it though, you're bound to start losing weight again eventually!
DisappearingActs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 05:13 AM   #5  

Thank you guys for the support!
Yes, I've tried other exercise...but bar method has worked for me in the past and def tones me up - I have quite a bit of muscle mass.
In terms of calories, I think I am getting enough, I do have days where I eat more, mostly more fats, like nuts or something. I actually had my main doctor tell me, "obviously you are eating too much" when I was crying and showed him how I track in myfitnesspal everyday for the past 2+ years. He said that if I created enough of a deficit, I would lose weight. Obviously, he knew nothing about my body and how hard I was working but it was still extremely discouraging.

And of course I am aware that I am in a normal range, but it is still very discouraging when all of my clothes that I was wearing less than a year ago don't fit. I refuse to buy too many things since I don't want to look this way for much longer. I have all of these beautiful clothes hanging in my closet that I love that just don't fit. I work in the beauty/fashion industry in New York City, so there is a huge emphasis placed on how you look, and how skinny you can be. The company I work for knew me thinner, and I am now so embarassed dressing much less fashionable because I feel so awful about myself. I've lost interest in my own dressing since I feel like I look so bad in everything I want to wear. I wish I could wear all black pajamas everyday and just dissapear. They see how hard I try and how healthy I eat, and then these other girls that I work with are skinny and barely exercise, drink, and eat skittles for snacks. Of course, it will catch up to them some day, in the health department at least. But being 21, I really didn't think I'd have this much trouble losing weight, especially with my healthy habits.

Thanks all for being there

Last edited by cbheart16; 09-24-2012 at 05:15 AM.
Old 09-24-2012, 07:34 AM   #6  

S/C/G: 290/ticker/145

Height: 5'4"

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbheart16 View Post

I've had my thyroid tested, and while I did have blastocytosis (parasites) I've been on some heavy drugs (anti-biotics, anti-protozoals) which I believe have killed it. On Friday, I'm having a CT Scan of my full abdominals and pelvis to make sure nothing else is wrong, since I have a lot of trouble with going to the restroom and feel tired and weak most of the time.
Ask your doctor about taking some probiotics- after I came back from India, I was having the worst digestive issues- turns out it was a combination of delhi belly and the antibiotics which wiped out the "good" bacteria and prevented me from digesting normally.

Since you're stalling in the normal bmi range, I suggest that your body may just be telling you what it's "ideal weight" is. One way to deal with that is to focus on firming rather than weight loss, which should do more to improve your body anyway.
kelly315 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 11:14 PM   #7  

My gastroenterologist has me on Align and Dr. Ohhira's probiotics as well. I've taken them for years though so I'm not sure if it is making a difference.
But I should be firm...I've done weight training for 2 years and was very firm before I went to India. My arms and legs are still very muscular, but it is my torso where I have put on the most weight. I know that in order to "spot tone" you have to lose body fat...welll I'm trying here. I'm just so uncomfortable having all of this non-firm stuff where it was firm just 9 months ago.
The weight came on very rapidly, about 25 lbs within one month. I don't think that seems normal, especially for someone 21. Perhaps in the CT scan on Friday they can find the problem. But if not...I'm just going to be so discouraged. Oh well, at least I'm building stamina and endurance with all of my exercise. I'm just so so so annoyed with my body's lack of response...