Body Image and Issues after Weight Loss Including discussions about excess skin and reconstructive surgery

Old 09-20-2012, 10:25 PM   #1  
Move over Kim Kardashian!

S/C/G: 220/ticker/135

Height: 5'5"

Default Maintainers -- How do you guys do it?

I lost all my weight, I am extremely proud of myself, but I have a really hard time seeing the "skinny" girl everyone else sees.

I am going to an All-Inclusive vacation to Cuba in 5 days and I am PETRIFIED of wearing my bikini.

I keep feeling as if the cellulite on my thighs or the stretch marks on my stomach are going to be stared at.

I know these people are strangers and quite frankly who the #$@ cares... but that's exactly it, they ARE strangers, and don't know that these are my battle scars, or how far I've come to have this body.

So my question is, How did you do it the first time you had to be in public with a bathing suit...

I keep having anxiety thinking that I'm going to be stared at all the time.

On some days, I could care less, then it hits me out of nowhere and I get sad about it again.

Please give me tips, and I'm sorry if I sound whiney, I just am having a little bit of a panic attack
caramelkitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2012, 10:54 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 344/119/116

Height: 5'1"

I don't think I'm going to be much help to you! After I lost the weight and then had the skin removal surgery, I bought a bikini and couldn't WAIT to wear it out in public.

I have stretch marks and excess skin on my thighs and it's still the best I've ever looked!

If people don't like it they can cram it - I don't care!

Jen
CherryPie99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2012, 10:56 AM   #3  

S/C/G: 204/114/120

Height: 5'

I actually have never worn a bikini but I feel as Jen does, I have never looked better, oh, I have stretch marks and loose skin. Do I care what other people think ?
Not one bit !

Last edited by bargoo; 09-21-2012 at 11:00 AM.
bargoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2012, 12:34 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 287/175/180

Height: 5'9"

I wear a one piece or tankini. I'm more comfortable that way. I have just as much fun being outside at the beach or pool as anyone else even though I'm not wearing a bikini. Maybe I'm modest, but showing that much skin is just not something I want to do personally because it makes me uncomfortable. I love my body and don't mind undressing for my boyfriend, but for a bunch of stranger? No thanks
k8yk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 06:16 PM   #5  

S/C/G: HW160/SW 156/CW125/GW120ish

Height: 5'2"

I wore a two piece suit this summer. I find a good, supportive bikini top is far more flattering and comfortable for me than a one piece, so it was just a matter of sucking up the confidence and doing it. I did observe that bikinis were at least as popular as tankinis or one piece suits both at the pools we went to and the water park. My (and your) body, battle scars and all, are hardly the most shocking ones on display.
Only Me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 11:00 PM   #6  

you look AMAZING, you should not be worried at ALL!!! I am so sorry if this sounds creepy but..... I have looked at your B&A pics tons of times, you started out almost exactly age/height/weight I am now, and you are my inspiration.... reading your posts pushed me to come here and start NOW.
BE PROUD AND STRUT YOUR STUFF ON THAT BEACH! Enjoy the vaca
StephieRN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 03:29 AM   #7  
Leveling Up

S/C/G: 200+/115/115

Height: 5'3"

I went through so much anxiety wearing a bikini for the first time. I chickened out of buying one at least 3 or 4 times until I actually found one that I felt comfortable in...

I just took the plunge one day and wore it. It helped to do so in a relaxed setting though--my fiance's pool. With it just being US it was a lot easier to get over that initial fear and helped me eventually wear it in public
sontaikle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 10:40 AM   #8  
Began IP 3-29-2012

S/C/G: 470/316/220

Height: 6'00"

Well I am a guy but here is my perspective. Wear a bikini if you want to. You've lost a lot of weight and should be proud of your accomplishment. Anyone who cares is not important. I've been self conscious about bating suits my adult life. I have LOTS of stretch marks and now an apron but when I go to the pool or the water park my shirt comes off and I have fun with my kids. When I am out of the pool I put a shirt back on because I feel more comfortable. When I am walking around I see people looking and talking but to heck with them. I know how far I've come and I am proud of myself. I am just trying to have fun! You should wear the bikini and have fun on vacation!
usmcvet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 10:41 AM   #9  
Began IP 3-29-2012

S/C/G: 470/316/220

Height: 6'00"

Quote:
Originally Posted by CherryPie99 View Post
I don't think I'm going to be much help to you! After I lost the weight and then had the skin removal surgery, I bought a bikini and couldn't WAIT to wear it out in public.

I have stretch marks and excess skin on my thighs and it's still the best I've ever looked!

If people don't like it they can cram it - I don't care!

Jen
You're right Jen!
usmcvet is offline   Reply With Quote