Old 09-20-2012, 06:33 PM   #1  
bee

S/C/G: 265.5/240/160

Height: 5'7"

Default We are not realistic and we are way to harsh.

I have a problem and I think a lot of others do too.

This past week I lost .4 pounds. And I have been working my butt off. I have lost about 30 pounds in a little less than 2 months. That's pretty freaking awesome. I should be proud of myself.

But I am not. I almost didn't eat today so my doctor would see an extra pound off my scale. 1 pound! I have weighed myself 3 times today and it's not even 6:30!

I was at the doctor today and she said I am doing wonderful on my weight loss. I told her I thought I could be doing better. She looked at my like I had seven heads.
She told me that 1-2 pounds a week is normal and it's healthy anything beyond that is great but I need to be careful.

If I miss a workout, I double sometimes triple my cardio for the next day. That is not healthy. We are doing this for many reasons. And as much as I love to see my numbers go down, the main goal should be to get healthy.

Just because you aren't losing 20 pounds a month does not mean you aren't successful. You (I am) are getting off your (my) bum and doing something that you (I) normally wouldn't have done. Be proud of yourself when you do something great. Don't punish yourself.

This is a lifestyle change and this is going to take a while. And even after I achieve my goal I will have to maintain it for the rest of my life. That's going to be a huge job too.

This should be fun. We are doing great. It's a good day.
beahawkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 06:45 PM   #2  
On a weight loss journey

Height: 5'2"

I agree with you 100%. My problem is I see shows like the Biggest Loser and Heavy and such and even though I absolutely know better, I start to feel like that kind of weight loss is normal. In reality, 30lbs over 2 months is AMAZING () and 1-2 pounds a week is really good.

I just restarted my journey and I am taking that mindset on board, everyday that I exercise or eat healthy or resist that sugar-laden food is an accomplishment!
NothingButChanges is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 06:48 PM   #3  

S/C/G: See tracker :3

Height: 5'5

Well said :3 Very well said. And 30 pounds in less than 2 months is absolutely phenomenal!

I've had to teach myself to not use exercise as a 'punishment' for me going off track one day because then I end up hating it and that's counter productive.

This is totally a message I needed to hear today, by the way :] So thank you for posting it. I've been too sick to get out of bed for a couple days so I'm sort of beating myself up over not working out.

"This should be fun. We are doing great. It's a good day." Put a smile on my face. I wrote it on a sticky note and stuck it on the side of my laptop!
DandelionCupcakes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 07:19 PM   #4  

Height: 5'4

Sometimes it helps to think about what the consequences of that sort of thinking might be;

- Overuse injuries from the excessive cardio
- Muscle wasting from excessive cardio
- Mental and physical 'burn out' from going too hard and being too strict
- Adaptive thermogenesis from overly restrictive dieting

These things may not have effected you, but it's incredibly easy to overdo things and restrict too much... and it's often not until the damage is done that we see how silly we were being.

So, loosen up a bit, enjoy the journey, and be kind to yourself! You're doing amazing!
JossFit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 07:36 PM   #5  
Dependapotomaus, no more!

S/C/G: 259/168/145

Height: 5'4

I'm having to remind myself of this all the time and it's still so incredibly frustrating. I lost 11 lbs last month at the beginning of my restart. This month so far it's been a whopping 3.5. At this rate I'll be lucky if I hit -5 for the month of September. BUT I started exercising last week when before then I had only been keeping track of my calories and I feel better. I really wanted to get down to my goal weight before my husband comes home in December but it's just not going to happen and I need to accept that.
Lambiechop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 07:55 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 230/ticker/150

Height: 5'8

I find it difficult to let myself off the hook when it comes to weight loss. Either I'm a strict Doberman lady or I'm completely slack. Right now I want to lose 10lbs a month for the next 5 to get to a weight where when I try on wedding dresses I'll know what they will ultimately look like on me. I feel like **** when I don't go down a lb every 3 days because I feel like I'm falling behind, even though I know that is not how it works.

I don't mind too much when I'm hard on myself because it makes me kick my own @$$ and I end up seeing results, sometimes self criticism, though unproportional and unfair is effective.
Katbot24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 08:34 PM   #7  
Starting again

S/C/G: 289/ticker/128

Height: 5'4"

This is exactly what I've been working on in therapy recently; being mindful of how awesome my achievements actually are. I always minimize it because I think to myself "it can't be that great, I'm the one that did it, after all".
shishkeberry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2012, 01:29 AM   #8  
Jenn :)

S/C/G: 248/ticker!/148?

Height: 5'11"

I often get caught up in weekly (or sometimes daily) weight loss goals so much that I forget about the big picture. We need to celebrate the fact that we're gotten as far as we have-- it's not easy to lose weight, otherwise everyone would be doing it! That's something everyone on 3FC should be proud of.
pinksparkles is offline   Reply With Quote