Old 09-19-2012, 08:56 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 217/164/132

Height: 5'5

Default Skinny people have skinny habbits

I'm friends with a lot of skinny people... In fact, one of my closest friends and I started at the same height and weight as kids/teens, but now she's one of those naturally skinny poeple, while I... (well, just look at my ticker.)

And I used to complain about her all the time because she just seems to be able to eat anythiing and NOT gain weight, and really, how is that fair??? (I love her to death, but when we go to the coffee shop and I order a tea - no sugar - while she gets a large sugary frozen drink and a choc. croissant, well, how can one not complain about that??)

But the truth is that if you pay close attention, the people we say can eat "anything" and not gain weight, they normally don't eat "anything". I reacently went to dinner with her and she asked the waitress to substitute the creamy pasta sauce in her entre to a tomato based sauce, and then while we ate, she was so into the conversation, that her food wasn't devoured, but rather eaten slowly, one small bite at a time in between long stretches of chatter. And when we went for coffee at another time she ordered a drink telling me that she saw someone drinking it on facebook last week and wanted one ever since but just never had the chance 'cause she hasn't gone to a Starbucks (then, by the way, she only had half of it.) I saw a girl on the bus, who was super skinny and she was snacking on carrots! While another super skinny friend of mine goes nuts if she doesn't snack every couple of hours.

So my conclusion of the day is that there isn't really such a thing as a skinny person who eats garbage all the time and manages to stay skinny. They actually have skinny habbits. I know that I won't gain weight if I have an ice-cream cone - I gain weight because I will eat the whole Ben and Jerry's tub all by myself. And I don't gain weight from having a Vanilla Bean Frappochino at Starbucks, I gain weight because I will have one everyday.

So people, lets stop b*&ching about our skinny friends
1yr2mkovr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2012, 09:06 PM   #2  

S/C/G: SW:394/310/180

Height: 5'6"

How many skinny people have you watched closely? Just this friend? Two skinny friends? Five? Two hundred?

You may have concluded that there isn't really such a thing as skinny person who eats garbage all the time and manages to stay skinny, but that doesn't mean that such people truly do not exist.

I know several myself who do eat garbage and stay skinny. In my own family, there are three. Two of which stayed skinny on incredibly crazy amounts of garbage which didn't catch up with either of them until middle age, when they finally started putting on the spare tire.

I had a college roommate who was a "couch potato" who ate insane amounts of food, and stayed thin. She was always "figiting" but that was her only "more active" pattern. In every other way, you would assume she was a couch potato (she was just a couch potato whose arms and legs were in constant swinging motion. She'd twirl her hair, tap her fingers and other "nervous" habits).

I've watched a lot of people eat, both fat and thin. Some I've been able to watch up close (such as roommates and family members) and I've concluded that there are fat people who eat very little and move a lot and there are thin people who eat a ton and move very little.

What I've concluded is that you can't worry about what other people can and can't eat or do to maintain a healthy weight, you can only deal with what YOU have to do to acheive and maintain a healthy weight.

It doesn't matter if some skinny people can eat more than I do. It doesn't matter if some fat people have to eat less than I do. What matters is that I find what works for me, and stop comparing myself to anyone else.
kaplods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2012, 10:29 PM   #3  

Height: 5'9"

I know a skinny person who claims that she eats all the time, junk all day, blah, blah, blah. This person thinks they eat so much, but the truth is, I watch her. She orders sliders from a fast food joint, eats one, maybe one and a half, a handful of fries, and is done. Just absolutely stuffed. She will eat half of a six inch sub from subway and like 10 chips and walk away. She orders a huge coffee drink with chocolate and whipped cream, and well, drinks like one fourth of it. She brings these tiny little bowls with leftovers and won't finish it, even if it's like only a cup of something. So in that respect, I have to say that she is playing a little mind game with herself. She does eat crap, but intuitively eats just enough to stay slim. Maybe her nicotine habit helps some, too. But I know a guy that eats the most insane amounts of food all day long, and he manages to stay the same weight. He defies convention, while she only thinks she does. I know for a fact that this guy has to be consuming more than he should be burning for his height. He eats restaurant food for almost all of his meals. The things he eats are usually some kind of greasy meat, combined with some kind of fat laden carbohydrate in the form of bread or pasta with cheese. He scoffs at vegetables. He'd die before he ate something that wasn't fried (incidently, that might just happen, due to his diet). The portion sizes are enormous. It's nothing for this guy to go to a buffet and eat 5 heaping plates of food-before dessert. Or an entire pizza and breadsticks-and then some wings.
So I have seen both sides. I do believe that many habitually thin people may just posess inuitive eating habits and the right hormones. I'm not sure about my other friend- tapeworm, perhaps? All I know is he does seem to defy the odds, as he abhors exercise and is a bottomless pit of lipid-soaked carbohydrate consumption.
Brandis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2012, 10:40 PM   #4  
Come see me on Fitocracy!

S/C/G: 273.0/248.4/240.0(Goal 1)

Height: 5'10"

My sister was one of those people who could eat huge amounts and not gain an ounce. I can't vouch for her habits now, but up through her mid-twenties, she ate like someone told her there was a coming famine. Whole cakes. Boxes of cookies. We went out to breakfast once and she ate two meals and then washed it all down by eating half of mine! She still eats dinner out every night and goes to Starbucks every day. It is possible that's all she eats in a day now. I don't know.

I definitely have friends who are skinny because of their habits, but some people have an ability to eat tons and stay thin that defies logic.

Last edited by Quantum Sheep; 09-19-2012 at 10:40 PM.
Quantum Sheep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2012, 11:07 PM   #5  
Hi, I'm Lauren! :)

S/C/G: SW:209 / CW:184/ GW:~160

Height: 5'4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brandis View Post
I know a skinny person who claims that she eats all the time, junk all day, blah, blah, blah. This person thinks they eat so much, but the truth is, I watch her. She orders sliders from a fast food joint, eats one, maybe one and a half, a handful of fries, and is done. Just absolutely stuffed. She will eat half of a six inch sub from subway and like 10 chips and walk away. She orders a huge coffee drink with chocolate and whipped cream, and well, drinks like one fourth of it. She brings these tiny little bowls with leftovers and won't finish it, even if it's like only a cup of something.
After reading all that, all I have to wonder is what does she do with the food she doesn't eat? I hope she doesn't throw all of that away. Why does she order a big, huge coffee drink and only drink a little? Why not just get a "tall"? Seems wasteful to me.
mimsyborogoves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 12:37 AM   #6  
Irish dance addict

S/C/G: 145/145.4/125

Height: 5' 3"

I watched a program from the UK one time where there were two friends, one fat and one slim, that claimed they ate the same amount and exercised the same amount, yet were two different sizes. The program went on to scientifically (I can't remember exact method) monitor their intakes and how much energy the expelled during the day. Turned out the skinny friend actually consumed fewer calories and burned more energy than the larger one during the study period.

Of course that's only one case, but what 1yr2mkovr posted does have some merit. I saw another program from the UK called something like Why Thin People Aren't Fat. Some of it was genetic/ethnic makeup (like the Asian man gaining muscle instead of fat when consuming 5000 calories a day), but for many others it was the "skinny habits". Again, not statistically robust.

The bottom line is there's no point in feeling sorry for yourself compared to those that are naturally thin or think that you were somehow dealt the farmer's hand. Nothing can be done about that. Just make the most of what you've got and be your best, healthiest self.
atmos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 08:03 AM   #7  

Quote:
Originally Posted by mimsyborogoves View Post
After reading all that, all I have to wonder is what does she do with the food she doesn't eat? I hope she doesn't throw all of that away. Why does she order a big, huge coffee drink and only drink a little? Why not just get a "tall"? Seems wasteful to me.

It isn't as though a sugary crappy coffee drink is hard to come by. The idea of something chock-full of artificial junk that is mass produced not being consumed is "wasteful" is a bit odd, no?

I see your point about ordering a smaller size, but we do tend to "eat with our eyes" so that could be it. Regardless, I'm sure it's only hurting her wallet to order it bigger than she needs. Better than finishing it just because it is in front of her, right?
JossFit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 11:08 AM   #8  

Quote:
Originally Posted by JossFit View Post
It isn't as though a sugary crappy coffee drink is hard to come by. The idea of something chock-full of artificial junk that is mass produced not being consumed is "wasteful" is a bit odd, no?

I see your point about ordering a smaller size, but we do tend to "eat with our eyes" so that could be it. Regardless, I'm sure it's only hurting her wallet to order it bigger than she needs. Better than finishing it just because it is in front of her, right?
Oh it wasn't necessarily for the drink, per-say, more-so for someone doing the typical act of getting a large quantity of food (good, bad, or otherwise), taking "2 bites", then throwing it away. It's not necessarily wasteful for one's health to only take 2 sips of a drink and throw it away, but it is wasteful for his/her wallet and for the environment, too, because once it hits the landfills and it rots, we're now breathing in rotten food. Sounds delicious! (Not! Lol)

I just think people need to be more mindful of what they consume so things like that don't happen. I'm not perfect -- I've done it too, but then I feel bad for being wasteful, so then I go forth to only get the "large" size if I'm REALLY thirsty or hungry. Otherwise, it's unnecessary, and if you take that kind of habit into other peoples' homes, it becomes rude, as well, because then you're not only wasting your own food and money, you're wasting other peoples', and that's not cool either.

Sorry for going on a rant; it's just a silly pet peeve of mine, lol.
Old 09-20-2012, 01:37 PM   #9  

Quote:
Sorry for going on a rant; it's just a silly pet peeve of mine, lol.

Not silly at all really. You're right, it's more environmentally friendly as well! I was just thinking about it from another perspective it seems.
Old 09-20-2012, 02:42 PM   #10  
Pain Is Fuel

S/C/G: 180/176/118

Although I am sure that this is the case for many thin people, I personally know at least 2 thin people who have the ability to over eat and stay the same. I have been friends with both of them for years and have subconsciously watched their eating habits. My two friends are social butterflies, they always have somewhere to go and someone to go out with. They are both in their 20's and regularly visit clubs, restaurants and eat fast food. Even living this lifestyle they have amazingly remained the same weight since early high school.

The only difference I find with them is that even though they are thin and gorgeous, they say they are fat. I don't know if they are just saying this because they think they "should" or because they view it as the truth. I personally think they are just trying to get compliments, they are still young women who crave acceptance.

I will be honest, seeing their lifestyle used to make me jealous. I wished that I could eat like them, that I could be "free" to eat what I wanted, when I wanted. I had to face the fact that my relationship with food will never be the same as theirs, it can't be.
Mimzzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 03:57 PM   #11  
Lifelong Alaskan!

S/C/G: 230/180/150

Height: 5'5"

Quote:
thats the first thought that occurred to me too, was that it's wasteful in terms of throwing away food....i just hate the idea of throwing away food...for me, i tend to want to eat it instead of having it go to waste...and i always worry that there won't be enough food...

that might stem from growing up in a remote area where a store was 60 miles away...or it might stem from being very poor in college and also pregnant...i'm not sure...but i HATE the thought of throwing away food
alaskanlaughter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 04:03 PM   #12  

Quote:
Originally Posted by JossFit View Post
Not silly at all really. You're right, it's more environmentally friendly as well! I was just thinking about it from another perspective it seems.
Your perspective wasn't wrong, though. No one should consume large quantities of crappy sugary coffee drinks, but man do I crave one every now and then! It's pumpkin latte season, too. Urgh! >_<
Old 09-20-2012, 06:42 PM   #13  

S/C/G: 217/164/132

lol!!!

I'm amazed at how many people are passionately disagreeing

Nope, I def don't know all the skinny poeple of the world, and cannot speak for all of them. But I guess if those lucky people do exist, I'd say congratulations to them

As for the rest of us... Good luck to us all on our journey to health!

1yr2mkovr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 07:21 PM   #14  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mimzzy View Post
... My two friends are social butterflies, they always have somewhere to go and someone to go out with. They are both in their 20's and regularly visit clubs, restaurants and eat fast food...
Don't discount how much of a factor NEAT is. If they are as active as you say they are, and constantly on the go, they are likely burning through a ton of calories every day.
Old 09-20-2012, 07:48 PM   #15  

Height: 5'9"

Unfortunately the friend I mentioned previously would usually give me the leftovers, and, hating to waste food, I would eat those fries, burgers, whatever... It definitely wasn't helping my weight problem. Now my habits have changed and I've gone gluten free, so she pushes the food off on someone else. (We work together so there's always someone hungry around!) I forgot to mention she eats candy bars like they are being recalled and ONLY drinks Coke all day after the sugary coffee drink. She will not drink water. And when she gets regular coffee, she puts 10 packets of sugar in a small. Oh, and don't forget the cream.
Brandis is offline   Reply With Quote