Depression and Weight Issues Have you been diagnosed with depression, are possibly on depression medication, and find it affects your weight loss efforts? Post here for support!

Closed Thread

Old 09-09-2003, 09:50 PM   #1  
I'm doing it this time!

S/C/G: 189/175/145

Height: 5' 4"

Default ? about asking for meds

Hi. I am a 32 year old mother of two, and not doing so well. Most days I feel like I can't take all this for much longer, before I walk out that door and crawl into a big hole just so I can be by myself for a little while. I'm tired of feeling bad all the time.

My question is who do I get medication from, it that's what I truely need? My Obgyn? A regular family doctor? (which I don't have at the moment) I'm afraid of making an appt. with someone and then find out I choose to ask the wrong person. I also have a social anxiety problem and extremely afraid to look stupid in front of others. Please tell me what to do and where to go, this is really important for me to fix. I'm a complete mess, and I know I'm srewing up my kids lives by yelling at them one minute, and ignoring them completely the next.

Thank you for any help.
Heidi
Old 09-10-2003, 08:16 AM   #2  
Moderator & Happy Chick

Height: 5' 10"

Hi Heidi,

Well this is my own personal experience. For many years I refused to see my family doctor because I did not want to bust out crying and tell that person my life's story (I was embarassed). After 4 years of truly suffering and gaining so much weight I FINALLY went. I found a woman doctor who I feel more comfortable with. I just told her I was deeply depressed, what was going on, yes I did cry, and she was very comforting. She gave me a prescription with no problem. I did try a couple of different drugs b/4 I hit a good one so don't be hard on yourself if the first one or couple don't work. Just keep trying, you'll get the right dosage and drug that fits you.

I think for your kids sake, and yours you really need to find a family doctor now, and go. Don't wait like I did. Now when I look back I think man, I was foolish to wait so long. Millions and millions of people suffer from this and so many go w/out treatment. Your family deserves a happy mommy and you deserve to be happy for yourself. All it takes is 15 minutes w/the family doctor. If for some reason the doctor doesn' t help, find another!! they are a dime a dozen so get one your comfortable with. Again, I'm comfortable telling a woman how I feel I think they can relate so I found a woman doctor.

Good luck and please let us know how your doing, we'd like you to join us on the daily threads if you'd like ?

Hugs to you Heidi and to your kids

Leenie
Closed Thread