Old 09-12-2012, 07:34 PM   #1  
Started IP Aug 4th, 2012

S/C/G: 410/234/230

Height: 6'1"

Default Is my coach being unreasonable or just me?

I had my weigh-in this morning and sat there and endured a 20 minute tirade about how I "need to be ON the program or NOT". She was referring to the fact that I am desperately trying to find alternatives to the lousy tasting and way overpriced Ideal Protein food packets. I have tried substituting with EAS AdvantEDGE, GNC Wheybolic Extreme and Quest Nutrition bars. Admittedly, the Quest bars sucked, but the nutritional value of the GNC Wheybolic Extreme is much higher than the IP drink mixes and don't taste any worse and the EAS AdvantEGDE is SOOO much easier and actually good tasting. The biggest kicker is they are WAAAYYYY cheaper.

Now, today's weigh-in was only -2.6lbs, which on any other diet would seem like a lot, but she was irate and blamed my lack of significant weight loss on my use of "SH*T" products. Now the real funny thing is that for the first 4 weeks of the program I followed it to the letter... I lost a lot the first 2 weeks as expected, but then I had two miserable weeks with a 2 and 2.6 lb loss. This was all while following all the rules. The next week I was about ready to quit because I cannot justify spending $120/wk to only lose 2 lbs so I starting using the EAS drinks, the GNC powder and the Quest bars. That week I lost 5.6lbs and was much happier. Funny thing is she made a comment about the alternatives, but with a 5.6lb weight loss she didn't have a leg to stand on. Now this week with a poor weight loss, the same supplements I was using the week previous are now to blame... Hmmm...

If I could get my IP packets somewhere else, I would happily do so, but I refuse to pay someone else a starter fee that I paid to her... I don't want to stop the program... but I don't feel that it is fair to expect me to either fork over the money and take the 4 packets/day as she demands or drop out altogether... Shouldn't there be an acceptable middle ground?

So, am I being unreasonable here? Or is she? She says that she could lose her disributorship if she lets me do this, but I think that is a load of hooey! I am pretty certain it is all about money and she (and IP) won't be raking in what has to amount to a huge profit from all the packets...

I just can't WAIT 'til she finds out I found alternatives to the IP Vitamins!!!
DakotahDaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 07:38 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 257.4/203.2/185

Height: 5'6

You pay $120/week?? On what?
AnnaBoBanna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 07:43 PM   #3  
Reboot 9/2014

S/C/G: 198.6/173/165

Height: 5' 8"

I know there are people on here whose coaches allow them to keep coming in for weight & measurement even if they are on alternatives. One thing these forums have taught me is that not all coaches are created equal!! There was one person whose coach was charging her $100 for EVERY WEIGH IN, aside from food. Ridiculous.

I would either seek out a new coach, or figure out whether you can stay accountable and stick with the program on your own. Nobody should be talked down to if they are trying to follow the program within their budget.

And just FYI, you can buy the Ideal Protein products AND supplements at www.plainprotein.com - I have been getting my supplements there instead of my clinic and saved about $20.
scorbett1103 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 07:47 PM   #4  
Embracing the suck

S/C/G: 300/234/abs

Height: 6'9"

Only an IP coach could tell you whether or not she is fibbing about losing her franchise but in my opinion she is being unreasonable.

This is a challenge with the IP diet in my opinion. The truth is the IP products are not magic but there is a conflict of interest between truth and profit.

See reasons 1,3 and 4
JohnP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 08:00 PM   #5  
6/26/12 start 355

S/C/G: see tracker

Height: 5'9"

I have been all alternatives from day one, but in honesty I don't know that your coach can truly coach you when you switch out to alternatives. She would have to know content of the alternative products you use etc, and that's above and beyond what she's being paid to know/coach.
Halfagain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 08:08 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 167/129/125

Height: 5'3"

you said 4 packets a day- is that right? I haven't heard anyone mention a requirement of more than 3. the cost is $12 per day- not cheap, but someone less than you mentioned.

As far as the supplements, my clinic has asked patients who would not use their supplements to leave. They said their contract with IP isn't crazy, but the one thing it insists upon is the supplements while on plan. Since they are the only ones I have been able digest well, i don't have a problem with it.

Good luck.
maddiefoofoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 08:12 PM   #7  
Started IPD 6-19-12

S/C/G: 316/298/175

Height: 5'8"

I got the very distinct impression when I asked my coach about alternatives, that she wouldn't work with me if I did them. This diet is a business and they want you to buy their expensive products. But, you are right about the awful tasting products. Many of the alternatives are just as good, if not better.
I'm doing about half IP and half alternatives, but my husband is on all alternatives. The weight loss gets slower after time, that's the reality whether you're using IP or alternatives or doing any other program. Personally I keep going for coaching because I know I need the accountability.
In answer to your question; it's her. She wants to keep you coming and paying.
Barb2012 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 08:15 PM   #8  
Started IP Aug 4th, 2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnnaBoBanna View Post
You pay $120/week?? On what?
Anna,

If you do the math, $4.15/pkt * 4 Pkts/day * 7 days = $116.20 + 6% taxes = $123.72 every week!

That amount doesn't even take into consideration the cost of the vitamins they have me taking!
Old 09-12-2012, 08:23 PM   #9  

Cool FIRE that coach

I dont know anything about this diet your on..

My comment is not about over priced packets/supplements ect,

I would fire her bum for not being a coach.. she is supposed to encourage you~redirect you~keep you happy and positive so you can succeed.. YOUR paying her for Pete's sakes~ and I assume your not 12 years old either!

YOU could loose over 100 pounds of dead weight IMMEDIATELY you fire this coach and find one who can~! good luck buddy~
Mizzou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 08:41 PM   #10  
Back to the old me :)

S/C/G: 138.4/see ticker/125

Height: 5'6 1/2

Maybe you should seriously reconsider if you want to be 100% OP with IP. There are LOTS of people here who can't afford it and have done just as well with their diet by using alternatives. It just requires more work (which I'm sure you already know and do) but they are in no way less effective.

I actually approached my coach and told her I was having a difficult time justifying the cost of IP w/ my present financial issues and she was so supportive. She even offered to find me a discount and when I said I didn't want to do that, she looked into how far it would take me to move on to Phase 2, which will be cheaper in terms of how many IP packets I needed. When I told her that there was a possibility of me going off plan for a while, she was totally okay with it and assured me that the lifetime coaching fee I paid was exactly that: lifetime. She told me to feel free to come to the clinic and have myself weighed even if I wasn't 100% OP. And that any time I was financially comfortable enough to go back OP, I was welcome to.

Anybody who knows how this economy is faring should be understanding of people wanting to save money. Most likely she's irate because she's also afraid of losing money. Thing is, your relationship should be about support and well-being. Try talking to her again and see if you two can create a win-win situation by meeting halfway and compromising. Hopefully you guys can work something out.
aliceinseattle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 08:46 PM   #11  
Started IP 3/26/12

Height: 5'5"

Quote:
Originally Posted by maddiefoofoo View Post
you said 4 packets a day- is that right? I haven't heard anyone mention a requirement of more than 3. the cost is $12 per day- not cheap, but someone less than you mentioned.

As far as the supplements, my clinic has asked patients who would not use their supplements to leave. They said their contract with IP isn't crazy, but the one thing it insists upon is the supplements while on plan. Since they are the only ones I have been able digest well, i don't have a problem with it.

Good luck.
4 products/day is the norm for men. With an extra packet if exercising or doing strenuous physical work.
evepet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 08:47 PM   #12  
Started IP Aug 4th, 2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by maddiefoofoo View Post
you said 4 packets a day- is that right? I haven't heard anyone mention a requirement of more than 3.
According to the "Lean Body Mass" measurement she did when I started this program at 404lbs, I need to consume enough protein to support a lean muscle weight of 246lbs. This calculates to over 4 pkts/day to get the protein necessary to support that goal.

In order to keep some variety in my meals, I don't buy the pkts by the box but individually which is slightly more expensive ($1.05 savings by the box), but when alternatives cost $1.00-$1.50/serving it is very hard to justify the excessive cost.

I should also mention, she is recommending that I use my FLEX funds to buy my foods as her other clients do... yet according to the IRS code, that is NOT exactly legal... but if I can find a loophole that allows me to do that, it might change my views a bit.
Old 09-12-2012, 08:51 PM   #13  

Quote:
Originally Posted by DakotahDaddy View Post
According to the "Lean Body Mass" measurement she did when I started this program at 404lbs, I need to consume enough protein to support a lean muscle weight of 246lbs. This calculates to over 4 pkts/day to get the protein necessary to support that goal.

In order to keep some variety in my meals, I don't buy the pkts by the box but individually which is slightly more expensive ($1.05 savings by the box), but when alternatives cost $1.00-$1.50/serving it is very hard to justify the excessive cost.

I should also mention, she is recommending that I use my FLEX funds to buy my foods as her other clients do... yet according to the IRS code, that is NOT exactly legal... but if I can find a loophole that allows me to do that, it might change my views a bit.
Never heard of flex funds either. I do hear about 4 packets when protein needs are higher ( like heavy exercisers) .
Old 09-12-2012, 08:53 PM   #14  

Quote:
Originally Posted by evepet View Post
4 products/day is the norm for men. With an extra packet if exercising or doing strenuous physical work.
My husband started the same time as me, at 267 pounds- always on 3 packets. He has lost 80 pounds so far. Interesting differences.
Old 09-12-2012, 08:54 PM   #15  
Started IP 3/26/12

Height: 5'5"

Quote:
Originally Posted by DakotahDaddy View Post
I had my weigh-in this morning and sat there and endured a 20 minute tirade about how I "need to be ON the program or NOT". She was referring to the fact that I am desperately trying to find alternatives to the lousy tasting and way overpriced Ideal Protein food packets. I have tried substituting with EAS AdvantEDGE, GNC Wheybolic Extreme and Quest Nutrition bars. Admittedly, the Quest bars sucked, but the nutritional value of the GNC Wheybolic Extreme is much higher than the IP drink mixes and don't taste any worse and the EAS AdvantEGDE is SOOO much easier and actually good tasting. The biggest kicker is they are WAAAYYYY cheaper.

Now, today's weigh-in was only -2.6lbs, which on any other diet would seem like a lot, but she was irate and blamed my lack of significant weight loss on my use of "SH*T" products. Now the real funny thing is that for the first 4 weeks of the program I followed it to the letter... I lost a lot the first 2 weeks as expected, but then I had two miserable weeks with a 2 and 2.6 lb loss. This was all while following all the rules. The next week I was about ready to quit because I cannot justify spending $120/wk to only lose 2 lbs so I starting using the EAS drinks, the GNC powder and the Quest bars. That week I lost 5.6lbs and was much happier. Funny thing is she made a comment about the alternatives, but with a 5.6lb weight loss she didn't have a leg to stand on. Now this week with a poor weight loss, the same supplements I was using the week previous are now to blame... Hmmm...

If I could get my IP packets somewhere else, I would happily do so, but I refuse to pay someone else a starter fee that I paid to her... I don't want to stop the program... but I don't feel that it is fair to expect me to either fork over the money and take the 4 packets/day as she demands or drop out altogether... Shouldn't there be an acceptable middle ground?

So, am I being unreasonable here? Or is she? She says that she could lose her disributorship if she lets me do this, but I think that is a load of hooey! I am pretty certain it is all about money and she (and IP) won't be raking in what has to amount to a huge profit from all the packets...

I just can't WAIT 'til she finds out I found alternatives to the IP Vitamins!!!
IMO your *coach* is being unreasonable. I can understand to some extent, because after all she's running a business... and she's trying to sell her IP products. But it sounds like she's trying to brow-beat you into using the pricier IP products if you don't produce what she expects in terms of weightloss/week while using alternatives. Which isn't a fair or realistic attitute, because everyone doesn't lose at the same rate. Not to mention that it's hardly a supportive and motivating attitude for a coach, who should be cheering you on.

Many of us here have been using alternative products to IP for part or all of the diet journey, with equal success to those that use the regular IP products. It does require some effort to figure out what to use, but the 'alternative threads' here are very helpful.

I've never been sorry that I went strictly to alternatives. I get all the support I need right here at the forum. And I've certainly saved a bunch of $ over the duration.
evepet is offline   Reply With Quote