Old 09-13-2012, 05:52 PM   #1  
Healthy mommy

S/C/G: 246/235/150

Height: 5'8 3/4

Default Hearty Autumn Beef Stew w/ Sweet Potatoes (Stove or Crockpot)

I made this recipe myself, although I know it's nothing unique or new, but this is my take on it. It's great chunky autumn stew.

2 lbs lean stew beef
3 sweet potatoes, cubed into large chunks (I did not peel the skin as they are nutrient-rich, but you could.)
1 large onion, cut into large chunks
a few ribs of celery and celery leaves, chopped
3/4 to a cup of carrot coins
2-3 cloves of chopped garlic or garlic powder
3 cups LF beef stock
1 cup V8 juice (or other tomato or veggie juice)
1 TBSP oil
A few cubes beef bouillon, sea salt, and freshly ground black pepper to taste
2 tbsp of arrowroot OR 2 tbsp of WW flour OR 2 tbsp soy flour

You can throw all of this into a crockpot (minus the arrowroot/flour) on low for 8 hours, or high for 4 hours. After it's done, remove one cup of the liquid and whisk together, then add back to stew.

I did mine on the stove (prefer it this way).

Heat oil on medium in cooking pot. Put in the beef and brown, sort of caramelize it. If using fresh garlic clove, add in at last minute and cook til fragrant but not until burnt or browned.

Add the water, juice, and veggies to the pot. Add the garlic powder if using that. Add a few grinds of fresh ground pepper and sea salt, as well as a few cubes of boullion. Heat up to medium high, then put on low. Cook for 5 or 6 hours or until meat is tender. Taste broth; add more bouillon or sea salt etc to taste.

Remove 1 cup of liquid from pot and whisk in the arrowroot or flour or soy flour. Add back to pot and let thicken.

Could serve as is in a bowl or over rice or ww noodles, or with some fresh ww rolls. I'm having mine over riced cauliflower.

Last edited by Fat Melanie; 09-13-2012 at 06:26 PM.
Fat Melanie is offline   Reply With Quote