Living Maintenance general maintenance topics and discussions

Old 09-10-2012, 06:08 AM   #1  
Super Moderator

S/C/G: 239/173/165

Height: 5'9"

Default Maintainers Weekly Chat September 10 - September 16

Last night was the first night that we didn't eat out on the patio because it was too chilly. Felt like a wimp. If it were February, we'd run outside cheering because it was nearly 60.

First challenge for me this week is a monthly volunteer meeting which is conducted over food. Food remains available for over two hours as an attractive alternative to listening when I'm bored. At home, I can get up and walk about if bored which gets the circulation going in my legs and brain again. But I've never tried that during a meeting of a dozen people before, LOL.
BillBlueEyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 08:26 AM   #2  
Jillian stole my abs!

S/C/G: 195.8/138/140

Height: 5'5"

Good morning, happy Monday!
shcirerf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 09:31 AM   #3  

S/C/G: 344/119/116

Height: 5'1"

Hi everyone!

Sorry that I was MIA all last week. I was reading the threads, but was kind of being a Debbie Downer and throwing a pity party for myself, so I didn't want to invade the threads with that.

My goal in maintenance is to hover 115-119 and last week my body decided it LOVED to be at 121. I know that's only a couple of pounds, but I know you guys get it - a couple of pounds up is discouraging.

The last 2 days I've been at 119.1. Combine that with me taking first place female in the 10K race I did over the weekend, and I'm feeling reeeeallly good to start off the week!

Hope everyone is starting their Monday on a high note!

Jen
CherryPie99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 09:37 AM   #4  

S/C/G: 173/in progress/140ish

Height: 5'8"

Your hand looks horrible, Janelle. I hope it isn't blood poisoning.

Jen~running a 10k may have caused a little water retention in your muscles. I'm sure you'll drop this week.

We had a storm here last night and I guess I missed it. They had to shut down the freeway due to downed and on fire power lines. There were 50 mph winds and intermittent heavy rains and supposedly a dust storm as well. I went to bed to read at about 8 PM and must have turned on the sound soother at that time and didn't hear anything. When DH came to bed around 10 PM, I'd already turned out the light and was asleep but got up to go to the bathroom and all I remember was the horrible lake smell from the rotting fish at the Salton Sea. It was unusually bad last night.
alinnell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 09:38 AM   #5  

S/C/G: 204/114/120

Height: 5'

Cherrypie, don't stop posting because you think you might be a downer.I feel like I am a mere amateur compared to what you have lost.I undesrtand how you feel, though.
My body is trying to tell me what "it" wants to weigh and I am determined it is going to be "my" way. Stay tuned.

Last edited by bargoo; 09-10-2012 at 09:43 AM.
bargoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 10:30 AM   #6  
Chuggin' along...

Morning all,

We actually have a touch of fall in the air this morning! Hurrah! I'm sure it will warm up again, and we'll go through this cold front/warming cycle a few more times before it gets cooler for good, but gosh I love it. In other news, it amazes me how much the seasons change my sleep cycles. In the winter I usually sleep rather lightly, sometimes have bouts of insomnia. In the summer I think I'm just so exhausted I pass out and sleep deeply through the night. BF normally sleeps like a rock. He's been experiencing more anxiety lately, which I think is keeping him up more. So when I woke up at 4am and asked where the dog was, he told me she had been sick on the floor but he already cleaned it up. I was really surprised bc usually it wakes me up, not him. While I'm happy I've been sleeping so well and hope it continues, I also worry about BF's anxiety. He has never once woken for the dog being sick, he usually sleeps through it. (BTW the dog is fine, just ate too much grass.)

There are my sleep musings for the week. You all know how important my sleep is to me.

Your hand does look terrible, Janelle. I hope it heals quickly.

Jen, sounds like a great run! Way to go! Don't worry about being a downer... we all go through negative places.

Saef, the "zaps" sound really unpleasant. I'm glad those are gone and I hope the anxiety abates quickly. I trust you have enough of a supply that you will not run out anytime soon>

Bill, I've been at meetings where people just couldn't/didn't want to sit still. They discreetly get up and stand in the back of the room. Try to pick a seat that you can get out of easily.

Last edited by Megan1982; 09-10-2012 at 10:33 AM.
Megan1982 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 10:30 AM   #7  

S/C/G: 178/134/125

Height: 5'6"

I'm with Jen and Bargoo and the dumb body wanting to weigh something different than my wishes. Congrats Jen on your awesome race! Wow!

Good morning everyone else.
Dh finally comes home again Saturday so now I can start counting down the days. He just happened to be in London when our nephew was baptized yesterday and so he got to go-- and he was named the godfather!

Less than 2 weeks until my tough mudder. Yesterday was a "mock mudder"-- I "only" fell twice going down the hills and I felt quite tough-- but I was so exhausted afterwards I could barely get off the couch for hours. Therefore I was less productive than I needed to be and I still need to-- clean house, pay bills, go to Costco-- so today will be busy in addition to work, the gym, and possibly an evening work meeting (trying to get out of that one).
traveling michele is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 10:51 AM   #8  
slow and steady

S/C/G: 185/see signature/135

Height: 5'4"

Good morning! We have also had a fall chill in the air here, at least in the mornings. DH and I went to an art fair this weekend and picked up some nice stuff.

Weight is up at red line right now. My goal for today is to not eat any junk and to work out. I have to go to an all-day career fair tomorrow and I'm trying to decide what to do about lunch.
paperclippy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 11:36 AM   #9  
Girl Gone Strong

S/C/G: (H)247/(C)159/(Goal)142-138

Height: 5'3"

What great weather for sleeping. I pulled up a quilt over myself, and in the morning, shut off my alarm at 4:15 AM, like swatting an irritating mosquito, then fell asleep again for too long, woke an hour later and had to rush to make it to spin class.

I am gradually returning to myself again, though I'm more restless and have trouble concentrating. It's making me less productive at work than I'd like to be, but it's going to be noticed and I will regret this later if I don't quiet down and focus today.

Today I am feeling for all of you members who have kids that are experiencing trouble in the classroom. I am relating to them today. The very meds that get me out of bed also make me feel overcaffeinated and not fond of desk work. I want to get up & disrupt the class. Thank goodness I'm working from home today.

Last edited by saef; 09-10-2012 at 11:37 AM.
saef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 11:37 AM   #10  
Workin' It

Congrats on the run, Jen! Awesome! Don't feel bad about posting when you are a little down, I think I do it all the time. Case in point, see below. LOL

I'm feeling a little blah this morning. It is cool and sunny out, I should be chippier I think. I had a physical this morning - BP, blood sugar, iron, EKG, everything they could tell me right away was great. I'll get the blood results in the next few days along with the results of an h-pylori test that they threw in. My weight is up 14 pounds from when I was there in Feb of 2010. She pressed her thumbs into my hands and said I seem to be retaining a lot of fluid, hence the h-pylori and a few other tests on the bloodowork. She told me I look great, sound great, she would kill to weigh what I do and that everything she could see looked perfect, gave me a commendation for my healthy lifestyle in the physician notes section. Which made it hard for me to say "I' haven't been exercising and eating as well as I should so feel like I'm overweight" to her. As a result I'm feeling kind of 'meh' right now.
Shannon in ATL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 12:37 PM   #11  
Staying the Same

S/C/G: 160+/116-120/maintainer

Height: 5'5

Good morning maintainers!

Bloated from a weekend of indulgence. Bar mitzvah was great fun, overabundance of hotel catered food, and the next day my bf's mom made us special brownies and then fed us a ton of homecooked eats. I'm not really complaining; few things are more fun than wandering around an awesome garden and wooded area all day eating, and this bloat too shall pass. He found a really cool purple mushroom in the woods which his mycology-obsessed sister identified as Cortinarius iodes.

krampus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 03:03 PM   #12  
Mens sana in corpore sano

S/C/G: 165/121/120ish

Height: 5'2 (157 cm)

Hello Maintainers. (And with that, I probably won't pop much again before ages pass. I should really post more often instead of just lurking.)

Bill - Good luck on holding good and strong. Boredom is my worst trigger, so I can understand the problem such a meeting can become if food is kept freely at hand! >.<

Jen - Congrats on the race!

Krampus - Uhm... is that one even edible? From its colour, I'd bet on 'no', but...

Been busy here with back to school period, which as usual hectic, and even moreso this year. The school I'm in being a mess in terms of organizing, I mean. The people are nice, but everything seems to be done backwards: first they lose the papers I filled, then I get a phone call from central office asking why I sent those papers to them (I sure didn't, must be the secretary? no clue...). It's going to be ten months of do-it-all-myself, or it'll be done wrong, I'm sure. On the other hand, the good point about that school is that it's 20 minutes by bike from home, so I don't have to take my car, *and* I have enough time to go back home for lunch, thus saving money on (crappy) cafeteria lunches.

I also confess not having weighed in about two months, but since I'm still floating in the pants I bought back when I was 127ish, I suppose I haven't gained. Although I doubt anyone would gain anything with the amount of food I eat these days. (Not starving myself... just the same old teeth problems and rotting jaw bone going on. *sigh* Maybe I should just have everything removed and go for a set of false teeth?)

Last edited by Kery; 09-10-2012 at 03:15 PM.
Kery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 03:46 PM   #13  

S/C/G: 152/???/132/33

Height: 5'4"

I had to go to a different web browser to get on site today.

I am at home today, fielding calls from all sorts of social work agencies who want to do "assessments" of my father.

We took him to emerg last night straight from the airport and they kept him (so far). His medical records from Estonia were put in his suitcase, which was lost. That has since been located so now we need to get it back and then find a translator to see what happened over there.

My dad rambled on about some sort of car accident and brain seizure. He was in pretty sad shape - didn't know the year or month or exactly where he was. And he peed in the back of the cab (thank goodness I had put towels down under him). When he tried to get out of the cab he fell down (or started to until DH caught him). He couldn't walk more than 2 steps.

Despite all of this, and my continuous repetition of how alone he is in a 2 storey house, it really really sounds like they don't want to put him in short term care. So I expect the phone call from him announcing that he's at home any time now. SIGH. The circus begins anew.

It seems that elderly people in this country are encouraged to stay in their homes until they have a catastrophic accident or burn the house down around themselves or similar. No one wants to care for them in a residential setting where life would be so much easier for them.

DH and I will have to fight our way into a retirement home I guess.

I haven't been overeating. Despite getting home at midnight and having to hang around the house all day. I have been cleaning (those weird tasks one never does, like washing throw pillow cases) and getting rid of stuff. Now I'm going to go out and tackle the garden.

Dagmar
Mudpie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 04:06 PM   #14  
Staying the Same

S/C/G: 160+/116-120/maintainer

Height: 5'5

Dagmar, I'm sorry your father is having such a rough time and the bureaucracy is keeping him from getting what he needs. Home care in the community is a great option for some, but not for all. How did he even get to YYZ on his own?
krampus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 04:30 PM   #15  

S/C/G: 173/in progress/140ish

Height: 5'8"

My MIL's mother is in need of residential care--or even a nursing home. Alzheimer's and macular degeneration make living alone a hazard. The doctors all recommend it. But one of her daughters (the one with advanced multiple sclerosis) thinks she can take care of her. Even my MIL who used to run a care facility doesn't agree with this, but she finally washed her hands of the situation after spending all summer up there, cleaning out her mother's house to sell it, and trying to get the rest of her family to accept that their mother needs specialized care.
alinnell is offline   Reply With Quote