PCOS/Insulin Resistance Support Support for us with any of the following: Insulin Resistance, Syndrome X, Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome, or other endocrine disorders.

Old 09-01-2012, 01:08 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 158/156.2/125

Height: 5' 3"

Default TMI alert - Metformin question

Yesterday my endo decided to increase my dose from 500 mg to 2000mg. He told me to increase it by 500 mg a week until I hit 2000mg provided I'm having no GI symptoms.

So, yesterday I went ahead and increased my dose to 1000mg right after my appointment. Nothing happened.

Then at dinner I went ahead and took another 500mg, bringing my daily total to 1500mg.

Nothing happened.

This morning I went ahead and took 1000mg right away.

...still nothing. Not only am I not cramping, having gas, or having diarrhea....I haven't even had a BM in two days!!!!

So, is constipation a possible metformin side effect, or do I just have a steel GI tract?
Kateastrophy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2012, 01:18 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 158/156.2/125

Height: 5' 3"

Just for clarification - I take the ER version.
Kateastrophy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2012, 03:19 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 222/(see ticker)/155

Height: 5'3"

I've never been able to get up to more than 500MG. Anything higher gives me the exact same reaction. Just awful GI issues when I go higher.
meazie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2012, 04:56 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 290/ticker/145

Height: 5'4"

I've had the same reaction, as well as later abdominal pains and cramping, coming from several days of constipation.

I'm guessing you're reaction is probably more severe than it will be if you follow your doctor's advice and increase gradually. Any reason why you decided to jump up all at once? It will probably be easier for your body not to have to deal with such a drastic change at one time.
kelly315 is offline   Reply With Quote